A business is not public property. It is private property that is open to a public that is expected to regard the property rules, weather they agree with those rules or not. You either respect those rules or you don't. I am a smoker, but I won't even take one of those smokeless cigs into a public area where smoking is restricted. Why? Because I respect the property rules enough not to show my disrespect for them, or I simply don't visit the property. Once I do go onto one of these properties I certainly am not going to sue the property owner because someone else decided to light up and is blowing smoke in my face. Businesses can only do so much to keep their customers safe, and that means all of their customers, not just you and me. This is why many choose to restrict guns, the less guns, the less likely there will be an incident involving guns. The odds that the average store will get robbed at gun point is slim, the odds that someone will have a gun pulled on them in their lifetime is minute. Store owners who post these signs are simply playing the odds because it's just too expensive put all the other measures in place. But make no mistake, businesses are not public property and they can, and have, pressed charges many times against those who violate their store policies. There are laws on the books that allow them to do this.