What's new

Ill probably get razed for this but does it seem like posts are mean lately?

Your post is touching on something larger than just T-net.
It's the internet. People who normally wouldn't be so bold as to say something to your face are now like a guy in a bar who just drank plenty of confidence.

I help moderate a Mixed Martial Arts or MMA forum and you just described what we call "keyboard warriors". On our forum people are free to verbally drag those posters through the mud, on here, different story. I'm not saying I'd like to see that happen here but at the same time I feel people really need to lighten up and not get so bent out of shape by words on a computer monitor. Go outside and get some air.
 
Well, they did go to a motel!!! That's funny!!!

Years ago i was a helicopter pilot and our company had a contract pulling cedar trees out of a large swamp. The trees were piled on a soft sand deck until they could be trucked out. On Sundays, the only day we weren't pulling trees, someone was stealing the trees left overnight. So, we decided to patrol the area by helicopter. On almost every one of my shifts we flew over people doin it in the woods. Mostly in the back of pick up trucks. Most were embarrassed that a turbine powered helicopter could seemingly come out of nowhere and surprize them. The braver folks gave us the finger as we flew slowly overhead at Tree top level about 150 feet. I'd give them a thumbs up. We'd laugh and go on to the next sector. It was light duty compared to the dudgery of pulling trees for 10 hours every day.


Ironic, and all the while you were holding onto your Joy Stick... Oy! That's funny..gif
 
You should really gain a little more experience before attacking those "attackers" Did you realize that this forum is hit by that EXACT scam almost every year. In the past the scammer has gotten multiple detectors sent to him/her. Learn to spot the con before you react to people stopping them.
I saw that post and the first thing I thought was SCAM...and I didnt even know that scam had been tried on here before...he may have been legit but it just didnt sound right.
 
Last time it was "my grandson who uses a walker and his sister go metal detecting and get robbed in the park down the street and I can't afford to replace it" Of course, the story is spread over several posts and in the end people are throwing metal detectors and cash at them. But I have seen the same scam tried multiple times in recent years.

I tried to find this recent thread but can't. Please tell it's still up so I read it myself. :coffee2:
 
Hello,
If you don't mind a newbie jumping in.....I have been metal detecting for 10 years and doing it wrong! Just found out today. I guess people don't realize the effect the jerks have on a newbie. I don't ask questions, for fear of someone making fun of me. It would be nice if everyone would be tolerant, even polite. It's all right to disagree, everyone has an opinion, just like another part of the anatomy! The question here is: Just what do u get for being right? No gold stars,no money, no nothing! You don't even get to paint a sign and wear it telling everyone you were right! Just a thought!
 
Last time it was "my grandson who uses a walker and his sister go metal detecting and get robbed in the park down the street and I can't afford to replace it" Of course, the story is spread over several posts and in the end people are throwing metal detectors and cash at them. But I have seen the same scam tried multiple times in recent years.

I tried to find this recent thread but can't. Please tell it's still up so I read it myself. :coffee2:

I reported it the other day..seems to be gone
 
Last time it was "my grandson who uses a walker and his sister go metal detecting and get robbed in the park down the street and I can't afford to replace it" Of course, the story is spread over several posts and in the end people are throwing metal detectors and cash at them. But I have seen the same scam tried multiple times in recent years.

I tried to find this recent thread but can't. Please tell it's still up so I read it myself. :coffee2:

Just found it..Its on general discussion stolen minelab 705...The only posts that were deleted were the two from the person responding to the post but the rest is. on there.
 
Everyone would be a whole lot nicer if we knew who they really are and where they live.

(except for me)
 
I help moderate a Mixed Martial Arts or MMA forum and you just described what we call "keyboard warriors". On our forum people are free to verbally drag those posters through the mud, on here, different story. I'm not saying I'd like to see that happen here but at the same time I feel people really need to lighten up and not get so bent out of shape by words on a computer monitor. Go outside and get some air.

This is actually my second account (same user name) and I've been here since 2003.

T-net allowed the same "freedom" as what your forum has in having political and religious sections.

Believe me, it was a frickin' mess! The most vile, racist, ig-norant, degrading posts were made daily and people with good morals were dragged into the mire to try and clean up the filth.

Many people were ashamed that a family treasure hunting forum had this kind of content all over the boards as trolls and those with political agendas spread out even into "Today's finds."

Although it's kind of annoying to have any post that could be considered political deleted, it's a lot better than what it was in those days.

Not to mention the work the moderators had in store for them. Just think, there were many who joined that didn't even treasure hunt as they were drawn into the discussions.
They were most likely outcasts from real political forums and found "easy pickings" on T-net where average everyday people could be bullied.

Sure, there's still some nastiness here but it's a church picnic compared to a few years ago. At least most of the membership now are actual treasure hunters.
That makes us all family and even if we disagree with each other, at least there's common ground.

Have a great weekend everyone.
 
Glad to see some one else speak up also .
and alot of the post are of the same thought as me , there is nothing wrong with having a different point of view and arguing it , what i hate is some can not do it respectfully . it seems manners are turning into a thing of the past .
Now i am not saying all posters are doing this , i have seen it a few times is all and the Mods seem to pickup on it pretty quick but its the point that if you disagree with some one you can tell them " Hey mike , i think your wrong " without name calling or insults .
 
Speaking of the stolen detector thread and the autisic kid, if it's suspected to be a scam it should be removed and the guy should be blocked, knowing that it's not going to stop him permanently but if it's removed quick enough no one will privately PM the jerk and allow someone to be scammed.
 
Speaking of the stolen detector thread and the autisic kid, if it's suspected to be a scam it should be removed and the guy should be blocked, knowing that it's not going to stop him permanently but if it's removed quick enough no one will privately PM the jerk and allow someone to be scammed.
How can you tell if its a scam or a true story? Thats why scammers and crooks are so bad, they make it hard on people that might really need help...is there anything he could to prove hes not scamming?...I cant think of anything.
 
You know, there are such sites, I such while know one, it in Riga, but for Russians. There the administration for money covers swindlers. If you deceived with metal detector purchase, your subject with the complaint will remove. Very much I hope that our site honest in this plan.
 
Last edited:
How can you tell if its a scam or a true story? Thats why scammers and crooks are so bad, they make it hard on people that might really need help...is there anything he could to prove hes not scamming?...I cant think of anything.

In regards to that thread:
There is a BP Gas station at 36/37 and I 37 in Sunbury Ohio.
There a man who calls himself "Slabslayr" in Ohio that is an avid outdoorsman.
He is involved with "reeling 4 a cure for autism" Under the same name, "Slabslayr" with a group on Facebook connected to it.
If it's a scam, it was one that was well thought out by taking the name of a real indentity that matches the scam story.
Although he seems to be involved in different fishing and autism communities, he has no other posts in blogs or facebook mentioning the metal detector theft that I saw.
I did not attempt to contact him. This was just a fact-finding mission and that's what was revealed.
 
In regards to that thread:
There is a BP Gas station at 36/37 and I 37 in Sunbury Ohio.
There a man who calls himself "Slabslayr" in Ohio that is an avid outdoorsman.
He is involved with "reeling 4 a cure for autism" Under the same name, "Slabslayr" with a group on Facebook connected to it.
If it's a scam, it was one that was well thought out by taking the name of a real indentity that matches the scam story.
Although he seems to be involved in different fishing and autism communities, he has no other posts in blogs or facebook mentioning the metal detector theft that I saw.
I did not attempt to contact him. This was just a fact-finding mission and that's what was revealed.
I guess thats one way to figure out if your being scammed, do research. Although its not conclusive, its a start...good job Bev.
 
I guess thats one way to figure out if your being scammed, do research. Although its not conclusive, its a start...good job Bev.

Now if someone is brave enough to contact him in one of those ways we'd find out if A. It was him and it was true or B. He didn't and his name is being used and he could warn his groups not to be fooled.
 
Bev I hope yah were not talking about me as I can be a little brisk at times in the Diggers threads.....but Im only stating facts as there are a few members who try & reroute the threads ....& personally Im only having some fun!Again if I have in any way upset you or anybody else I am truthfully sorry!
 
Now if someone is brave enough to contact him in one of those ways we'd find out if A. It was him and it was true or B. He didn't and his name is being used and he could warn his groups not to be fooled.

I don't mind contacting him, just let me know how PM? And what you think the best way to feel the situation out is?
 
Squiggy, you'd have to do some detective work and either contact him from facebook or another site where he is associated. Kayden, no I wasnt talking about you and Diggers. Some lately are just plain mean and insulting outright lately. It's true though- February is a hard month to deal with and with the horrible weather across the US, people are getting cabin fever!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom