What's new

Is this part of a banner stone or debris from bathroom remodel?

eastTNJoe

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2013
Messages
546
Reaction score
616
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the morning off so I did probably my last hunt for the summer. Found some bases and broken points...nothing too spectacular...also found this object. I know it is worked and my first thought was it was half of a banner stone, but I didn't want to get too excited because I figure my imagination was starting to run a bit wild...I have seen some pics of banners and they look so more polished, ornamental and even larger....I would love input from the forum and won't be upset if it just some broken modern item. Thanks for any thoughts!
20130730_215058.webp20130730_214932.webp20130730_214927.webp20130730_214908.webp20130730_214843.webp20130730_214837.webp20130730_214818.webp
 
Upvote 0
Joe,
I looked at your pics several time and I'm going with banner stone. I'm not sure, you have some very nice finds and I do hope you are able to get out more this summer. Looks drilled?
Your bathroom remodel ref. actually made me lol, nice!!
Steve
 
I'm betting the farm that you have a broken banner stone. I have recently read as much info. On banner stones as I can find. Does the hole taper a little?
 
Ive found a wing tip of one this yr before the crops got planted. It was broken so bad I didnt post it. Mine is only 2x1 inches and in bad shape. I hope you find a whole one to compare the pieces too. Nice finds
 
Ive found a wing tip of one this yr before the crops got planted. It was broken so bad I didnt post it. Mine is only 2x1 inches and in bad shape. I hope you find a whole one to compare the pieces too. Nice finds

Come on!! Don't hold out on us. Post that bad boy. Do you know what id do to find a part of a banner?
 
Great find, I'd say it's part of a banner stone:thumbsup:
 
I'm betting the farm that you have a broken banner stone. I have recently read as much info. On banner stones as I can find. Does the hole taper a little?

It doesn't seem to taper. I measured the diameter at both ends and both are exactly 1/2 inch across.
 
Very cool! Never found one myself. Even broken it's a great find.
 
It doesn't seem to taper. I measured the diameter at both ends and both are exactly 1/2 inch across.

They say reed drilled holes taper some. Yours may not have been reed drilled, or drilled from both ends. It's a banner-stone. Nice one!
 
They say reed drilled holes taper some. Yours may not have been reed drilled, or drilled from both ends. It's a banner-stone. Nice one!

Thanks!..the hole does have a very slight angle to it like it wasn't perfectly drilled parallel. Who am I to judge though since it was done without modern tools...amazing really.
 
Thanks!..the hole does have a very slight angle to it like it wasn't perfectly drilled parallel. Who am I to judge though since it was done without modern tools...amazing really.

I have read that the hole should cone in slightly due to the reed wearing during production. Production is probably not the best choice of words here. Lol! Makes me think of an assembly line. Any way... Even if the hole doesn't have a "V" or "cone" like taper, I wouldn't worry, if I were you. The taper may be so insignificant that its not even apparent without the other half. If I were you, I'd go shooting in the dark. By that I mean I'd go on a hunt specifically for the other half of this charm.
 
I think that is a part of a banner stone too. JMO - Nice find!
 
I have read that the hole should cone in slightly due to the reed wearing during production. Production is probably not the best choice of words here. Lol! Makes me think of an assembly line. Any way... Even if the hole doesn't have a "V" or "cone" like taper, I wouldn't worry, if I were you. The taper may be so insignificant that its not even apparent without the other half. If I were you, I'd go shooting in the dark. By that I mean I'd go on a hunt specifically for the other half of this charm.

Well I won't be able to get away for awhile...but I have made a mental note of where I found it...so maybe one day!
 
I agree with the rest,only cause of how yours looks & I've never found a stone pipe made like a banner stone yet.But I do know they made clay pipes in the shape of banner stones cause I've found them.Good find
Take care,
Pete,:hello:
 

Attachments

  • 005.webp
    005.webp
    33.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 004.webp
    004.webp
    75.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 003.webp
    003.webp
    80.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    71.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 001.webp
    001.webp
    92.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 006.webp
    006.webp
    35.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 007.webp
    007.webp
    32.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 008.webp
    008.webp
    25.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 009.webp
    009.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 010.webp
    010.webp
    22.3 KB · Views: 88
Here's a site that shows you some winged stone pipe.They made them I've just not came across none yet.Yours does have what looks like some marks on it & tennesse is mentioned as a source for material.Just not enough there for me to make a call on it but did want to share with you how it could be a broke piece of pipe.

Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Here's the site down around page 74,75,76.............................http://www.rla.unc.edu/Publications/NCArch/NCA_48(e-book).pdf
 
Here's a site that shows you some winged stone pipe.They made them I've just not came across none yet.Yours does have what looks like some marks on it & tennesse is mentioned as a source for material.Just not enough there for me to make a call on it but did want to share with you how it could be a broke piece of pipe.

Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Here's the site down around page 74,75,76.............................http://www.rla.unc.edu/Publications/NCArch/NCA_48(e-book).pdf

Thanks a bunch...the whole pdf looks pretty interesting too!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom