Need Help?

tomcat9605

Dec 28, 2010
This is my first post. Please bear with me. I found this item on the Battle of Greensprings area, the British called it, the Battle of Jamestown Ford. Along with many American leadballs. Also a few British buttons. I have not cleaned it throughly yet. A crown with a pommel on top. Under the crown is some kind of flower. To the right is a unicorn with his horn bent, and broken legs. I'm sure there was a Lion on the left. You can see the broken edge where it was. Also the bottom shows where something had broke off. On the back one curved piece like and old buckle. Because of the green patina I believe it's made of copper, not sure though.

Attachments

• front2.JPG
    front2.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,291
  • front.JPG
    front.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,278
  • back.JPG
    back.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 1,288

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
Could that animal possible be a pig or hog>? That was my first thought.

ps: maybe we need a rubber childish time out room. debate is good, but childish arguments just for the sake of arguing, really take away from a great forum. imho

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:
Unicorn said:
I am also with Cru's well researched post. That isn't a thistle IP.

U.

Well every Brit. on the forum can agree but unless these two things are the same I don't think you're quite there yet. :wink:

I would like to see a clear shot of the lower part though.

I'm with Cru on this :laughing9:

Yeah but you don't count.You never count. :laughing7:

Harsh.....but fair :-\

You could count if we were doing something like planting flowers. But sadly we're not.
:laughing7:

I bet I could count the amount of good posts you've made this year on one hand :laughing9:
How high would you have to count ...for your Cartwheels ;D

SS

I wouldn't need any fingers for that :-[ Neither would IP(the cartwheel king) though :laughing7:

Well you don't need fingers for your time out. ::)

Upvote 0

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Iron Patch said:
shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:
Unicorn said:

U.

Well every Brit. on the forum can agree but unless these two things are the same I don't think you're quite there yet. :wink:

You could count if we were doing something like planting flowers. But sadly we're not.

I bet I could count the amount of good posts you've made this year on one hand :laughing9:

SS

I wouldn't need any fingers for that :-[ Neither would IP(the cartwheel king) though :laughing7:

You started it!!!!!! Why do I need time out :dontknow: :laughing9:

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:
shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:
Unicorn said:

U.

SS

You started it!!!!!! Why do I need time out :dontknow: :laughing9:

Because you're the one with the rubber room dummy! :laughing9:

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the unicorn and lion standing with a royal seal between them and crown on top center piece is oft seen on british pottery * -- thistles are thought of as being a scottish "item" --while roses are often thought of as being more as a "english" item --- as in "english rosegarden" -- tudor rose , war of the roses?

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
the unicorn and lion standing with a royal seal between them and crown on top center piece is oft seen on british pottery * -- thistles are thought of as being a scottish "item" --while roses are often thought of as being more as a "english" item --- as in "english rosegarden"

But is irrelevant unless it can be clearly established it is the remains of a unicorn we see on the right.

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus....

Thistles got around. The Rev War period buttons from this Regt. also used a thistle. The only rose I'm familiar with that dates as early is the Lieut. Navy button.

Royal North British Fusiliers Regiment of Foot Officers Coatee Button. I think Scot. and Brit. designs crossed over quite a bit. It was "Great Britain".

Attachments

• 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,067
Upvote 0

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
IP, are you saying it's a leaf and not a beast?

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't read every word on this post, but judging by the pic alone, it reminds me of broken pig weather vane, but I feel it is some type of badge since it has a crown & et all. Now, I'll go back and absorb everyone's post. Interesting find, Breezie

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,038
Upvote 0

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Breezie said:
I haven't read every word on this post, but judging by the pic alone, it reminds me of broken pig weather vane, but I feel it is some type of badge since it has a crown & et all. Now, I'll go back and absorb everyone's post. Interesting find, Breezie

Wouldn't that be hilarious...

It looks like a thistle to me too...and I'm not just saying to establish Canada/UK rift. :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Breezie said:

It looks like a thistle to me too...and I'm not just saying to establish Canada/UK rift. :laughing7:

I would not be surprised in the least because it does not look like anything I'd expect to see that dates Rev War, and the crown is set very low if it's suppose to be a British Coat of Arms. Maybe it is a crown, but I don't see anything more than a shape similar to a crown, and a pretty crude one at that.

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
romeo-1 said:
Breezie said:

I'm really not sure how you CAN'T see a Rose, its clear as day to me. Maybe I just handle more of these & know what I'm looking at :-\

I can GUARANTEE I've had MANY more military items through my hands than you. So if I think I see a thistle, I'm not going to doubt my judgment. ;D If we're both seeing something that doesn't exist on there, well that wouldn't surprise me either. :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
romeo-1 said:
Breezie said:

I'm really not sure how you CAN'T see a Rose, its clear as day to me. Maybe I just handle more of these & know what I'm looking at :-\

I can GUARANTEE I've had MANY more military items through my hands than you. So if I think I see a thistle, I'm not going to doubt my judgment. ;D If we're both seeing something that doesn't exist on there, well that wouldn't surprise me either. :laughing7:

I think you losing the touch. I couldn't care less what you have had in your hands. I know what it is, crown over rose.

Well I think it's a thistle (if anything) and you commented that maybe someone who is not seeing a rose hasn't handled what you have. Well you're wrong because I've handled plenty, so it's not about a lack of experience.

Upvote 0

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
romeo-1 said:
Breezie said:

I think you losing the touch. I couldn't care less what you have had in your hands. I know what it is, crown over rose.

I could, I bought a detector from him :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
Well it's as simple as a quick email to find out what the 33rd used for a hat badge. The belt plate was like the buttons, just the number 33. Below is a soldier from the 33rd, but hard to tell. Below him is one from the 21st to give an idea of what was worn on their head as far as the over all construction is concerned.

I don't think it went on the hat, so this will not help identify it.

Well there's only so many (and not many) devices a soldier wore in the 1760s-1780s, and if it's not a button, belt plate, cartridge plate, or hat badge, I really can't image what it could be. Wait, yes I can, a weathervane. :wink:

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
romeo-1 said:
Breezie said:

Poor you. It got almost as bad as my keyboard. :wink: :laughing9:

Now you know why I left it dirty... just for you. :laughing7:

Upvote 0

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
Iron Patch said:
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
romeo-1 said:
Breezie said:

Poor you. It got almost as bad as my keyboard. :wink: :laughing9:

Now you know why I left it dirty... just for you. :laughing7:

Can you say that again in a pm....slowly :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
romeo-1 said:
Breezie said:

Well I think it's a thistle (if anything) and you commented that maybe someone who is not seeing a rose hasn't handled what you have. Well you're wrong because I've handled plenty, so it's not about a lack of experience.

You can read into what I said as much as you like, it was no reflection on anyone on here. It was a plain comment based on the number of rose like objects I have handled (fullstop)

Thanks for the clarity, but that's how I read it, and what I replied to. However, it means very little (along with what I say too) because if it's actually a badge all the rose (or thistle) experience between us hasn't ID'ed it yet. And really, how can a regt. even be considered when there's nothing for clear detail showing, and it's not a match for a badge or anything else an early soldier wore. I'd really like to see better - clearer pictures because I think we might be on a wild pig chase, one that used to swing in the wind.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread