What's new

need some help on a ax head

musky44

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2010
Messages
386
Reaction score
40
Golden Thread
0
Location
west viginia
IMG_0948.webpIMG_0954.webpIMG_0958.webpIMG_0953.webpIMG_0955.webpfound my first true ax head. was wondering if u guys could help me out on what type it is. it has no grooves at all on either side, just notches on the top and bottom. ive seen plenty of pictures and held other ax heads but nothing like this one. was wondering if u guys may have something like it or may know more about it. if so would love to hear your opinions. it measures 8 " by 4 1/2". its made of chert and polished pretty well out by the bit, sorta rough the rest of the way back towards the backend.it seems a lot thinner than others ive seen, probably only 1" at its thickest point. also found the small point in the same area.
 
Upvote 0
May be a spade / hoe - Great find either way
 
that also crossed my mind. I forgot to mention it in my post. makes good sense to , the bit is not sharp at all,kinda rounded off. thanks
 
I agree it does look like a hoe ..and with all that Polish from use and its form it's a great find for sure.
 
nice finds congrats HH
 
That's a nice find and a keeper!
 
Yes its a notched hoe and its a nice one. I found 1 this yr also but mine is thicker.
 
Spades or hoes normally show more polish on one side of the bit, and more specifically, one edge. The polish on this piece looks more like a polish from resharpening, rather than a polish from use. That's my opinion. Also, I can't figure out why such a large poll end would have been necessary on a regular agricultural tool. I have seen similar finds to this one. Personally, I can't help but wander if this is a transitional piece. We have seen the full groove evolve in to the 3/4, from there we go to the 1/2 groove. That is what this looks like to me. It has a large poll as axe heads do. However, the groove has faded from a 1/2 to a notch. The lithic on the other hand is one that is commonly seen on hoes. Nice find, no doubt!!
 
I wouldnt be shocked if the Hoe and Ax wasnt used as both if the situation and task at hand was needed to be done.
 
Imagine hafting for a moment.
How do you think those notches would work if it was sideways in a handle VS being strapped on top of a handle perpendicular to it.
Can we see a photo looking directly at the bit to show if it is centered VS Bevelled toward one side?
 
Last edited:
I would say it's a Hoe. The amount of polish and the dull looking Bit end are indicative of that kind of Tool. I have quite a few Hoes and all of the heavily used ones have Bits exactly like that one.
 
IMG_0963.webpIMG_0969.webpIMG_0964.webpIMG_0957.webpIMG_0959.webpIMG_0960.webpIMG_0961.webpthe bit is centered up pretty well. hopefully these pics will help. thanks
 
Well all I can say is Wow and I am so jealous!
 
Ok here is mine. it has 2 notches at the top but not as deep as the other one shown. I guess you could also say mine might be a Hand Ax
 

Attachments

  • 100_3147.webp
    100_3147.webp
    225.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Here's one I found last year and you can how polished the Bit is on it from extensive use.
 

Attachments

  • 100_4936.webp
    100_4936.webp
    69.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 100_4937.webp
    100_4937.webp
    54 KB · Views: 85
Here's one I found last year and you can how polished the Bit is on it from extensive use.

Reaper, I can't help but wander with all the years of hunting under your belt, do you still keep all of the hoes and tools you find? Of course one like you posted is a keeper, but the cruder ones, I'd guess you have to cull out. That's my situation now. I can pretty well determine what pieces were used. However, I have a hard time making cuts. No way I can keep all of my finds. What specifics characteristics should I look for in determining a keeper from a toss out? I'm serious as I can be in asking this. Here are a couple spades I have found.

image-1389087818.webp



image-2006261822.webp



image-4025053991.webp



image-2850644204.webp



image-253744254.webp



image-3222951003.webp



image-2543743710.webp



image-2806233136.webp



image-702149223.webp



image-1481425102.webp

Which, if any of these would you keep? Thanks for any advice!
 
I bring them all home. The better ones go on display in my case and the crude or broken ones either go in my rock garden, around the fish pond, or in my wifes flowere beds as decor.
 
@NC, Id keep all except pic 1 and 4. and in the bottom right of 4 that has the notches all the rest in the flowerbed.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom