THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Among the many second hand places that dried up quickly have been a couple notable exceptions.

One near a military base. Folks deploying got rid of furnishings ect. real quick.
A gal bought and sold , often from departing to military new arrivals.
High traffic and high turnover of merchandise.

Another was a local family.
I'd see them around now and then at sales.
They had a big polebarn at home for storage , sorting and prepping. That helped.
They moved stuff. Vs letting it set around in thier rented storefront.
I have a dining table and chairs they'd priced quite fair still...
They've retired. Successors did not succeed.
Buy low and often sell at a decent margin vs buy high and price too high and watch it set...

A place I worked was founded by a man who went door to door at one time selling bread his wife baked.
Eventually he realized a need (vs want) for R.V. parts , service and repair.
I worked for his son.
Sales and service ect. But once a week we'd run South to the industries that provided the parts. That was key.
Mark up ensured survival, but was fair vs competition.
The next generation abused the business. Or it would still be thriving in it's niche , despite the competition. And clientele treated properly knew who was first. Not that that mattered to disgruntled customers.
Custom work , and being honest to clients held me in good stead there. Down the road folks were treated like wallets. For less service/civility.

One guy recalled made serious coin. Each month he looked for something new for his rig.
That type customer was fun. A mutual benefit and common goal. That of uniqueness.
A niche filled. In his case it was want vs need. Risky as far as a business. But many needs were filled elsewhere. If not of restoring function , then of preserving equity.
Or of replacing consumables.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just booked for my covid shot March 16th. Glad to see the rollouts picking up steam so we can head towards some normalcy again.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did someone say Melbourne ........ 540.JPG

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deleted some my blathering's.

Sorry I went on and on... sorta the mood today I guess... needed a good venting. :)

Relaxing / recouping today... back at it tomorrow... next day to do this will be next Monday from the looks of it.

Never know... might not be so bad on the next one to dust off detectors.

If not... perhaps the next... or the next... or the next.

Next is what keeps ya rolling. :)

Last edited:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to beach t detect... and you see 5 guys already there... and I am tired of teaching. heh

Aye Cap! I knows the feelin'!

You never see someone just stop a jogger, golfer, tennis player....etc....just out getting some practice, and start asking them....got any gold yet? What's your best find? And where'd you find it? :dontknow:

If that happens whilst I'm walkin', I just tell 'em I'm a newbie, 1st time out just trying to learn.

This one time? At band camp? ;)
I was wading around minding my business. Some pesky kids kept bothering me. They asked what I was looking for so....I told them I'm trying to find a radioactivity leak.

You *NEVER* seen a beach clear out soooo fast!!! :tongue3:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On the menu tonight Asian style pork roast in the slow cooker.

We've got some left over stir fry veggies and rice to have on the side.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All depends where you look.This new home in Vero beach(5 minutes inland) 13 months ago was $389,000 in a nice neighborhood w/low HOA :) View attachment 1906451 View attachment 1906452

Check that price now. heh... 13 months ago the prices were lower than today.

Not much "city life"... just laid back life there.

The insurance on that is not cheap... the screen / pool etc will add.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH and one last thing !

And due to the great kindness and generosity of our beloved Bill here on the RCT... I am a charter again. :)

Thank again for that Bill... you are a cool dude my friend. :)

hmmm....

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Flea markets here are pathetic. We used to have 2 drive in movie theaters that had flea markets on the weekends. My kids grew up going to them. Then Trader’s world opened up and it was a big deal. Eventually, the space went to cheap new stuff like what you would buy from Big Lots or the like. So, across the highway, Turtle Creek opened for the marketers. They turned cheapo too. Meantime one of the drive ins closed up. Last year I took my dad to the one that is left. It was sad, but I still managed to find a few things that I “had” to have. I will take him this year if I am not at the lake. He rarely buys, just looks.
We go to garage sales. We have done the longest yard sale several times. That’s a fun one! My dad has been on the hunt for a mans emerald ring for years. He won’t just go to a jewelry store. It’s the hunt of finding one at the flea market or garage sale. LOL

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since most people seem to believe garage sales, etc....are slim pickings these days just wondering what does an outfit like got-junk do with the stuff the cart away from houses, estates clean outs, etc...

Would that be an avenue worth checking out?...food for thought.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flea markets here are pathetic. We used to have 2 drive in movie theaters that had flea markets on the weekends. My kids grew up going to them. Then Trader’s world opened up and it was a big deal. Eventually, the space went to cheap new stuff like what you would buy from Big Lots or the like. So, across the highway, Turtle Creek opened for the marketers. They turned cheapo too. Meantime one of the drive ins closed up. Last year I took my dad to the one that is left. It was sad, but I still managed to find a few things that I “had” to have. I will take him this year if I am not at the lake. He rarely buys, just looks.
We go to garage sales. We have done the longest yard sale several times. That’s a fun one! My dad has been on the hunt for a mans emerald ring for years. He won’t just go to a jewelry store. It’s the hunt of finding one at the flea market or garage sale. LOL

Cool WD.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since most people seem to believe garage sales, etc....are slim pickings these days just wondering what does an outfit like got-junk do with the stuff the cart away from houses, estates clean outs, etc...

Would that be an avenue worth checking out?...food for thought.

Well here they are on it... listen... there is NO shortage of "stuff" here... GOOD STUFF... ehhh its getting harder to find but its out there... and there is definitely NO shortage of people all out seeking it.

Part on the problem now is... everyone looks crap up... if its gotta a name or tag or marking... 90% of the time whoever has it has looked it up IF it looks interesting OR looks like it may have value.

SO... in turn... those items are higher priced.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

• ARC