What's new

THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Having leftovers tonight, however, tomorrow for supper we'll be having a traditional summer Quebec dish.

Bouilli basically a boiled beef and salt pork stew with lots of veggies.

 
The Air Show is going on this weekend. Friday, they were practicing. I was driving down a road that is close to the airport. The Thunderbirds were practicing. They came in formation down low to do their low flyby at for the crowd. They crossed over the road right in front of me, about 5 car lengths ahead! It was flipping awesome! All of the years I have watched the show and even gone to it a few times, I have never had such a close encounter! Super cool! The visibility was terrible yesterday, and I didn't hear whether they were flying or grounded. It doesn't look like it is going to be a good day for flying today, either.

Must've been a flyin' high, if they were near to you, milady!
 
Got my saw serviced.....im ready to cut a major backlog of mahogany logs !! Been working quietly on some fine furniture at night also !!View attachment 1936589View attachment 1936590View attachment 1936591 castle joints and turned legs !! This tree grew at the local church....harvested and cut back in 2018 !!

Oh yeh!! Honduran Mahogany? I will guess you found it locally. That is beautiful work!! I can appreciate that even more being a Finish carpenter/home builder... No I'm not from Finland!! :tongue3:
 
Good morning.
 
Good morning RCT
 
Morning ARC and pepper
 
Hello RCT people !!:hello:
 
Morning Rook and to you Bill

Well done on the berries Bill
Yesterday I thought there would be a nice picking after leaving the patches for a couple of days-not, looks like it's over for another season.
Quite different from the last years take, thought it would produce more-but it was a short run.

Though I welcome anything that the land provides a gift, it just seems to taste a little better.

Listened to a program where the average indigenous family out west would forage 200kg of berries in a season.
This year because of the extreme heat-there is hardly a berry to be harvested in so many areas.
Now wild potatoes was a new one for me-they are no more either, only the size of a finger nail because the increased temps of the past decades.
 
Well hello there Bart :hello:

Gee Bill and myself are out foraging berries and such-while you go foraging for treasures.......:headbang:
 
Oh yeh!! Honduran Mahogany? I will guess you found it locally. That is beautiful work!! I can appreciate that even more being a Finish carpenter/home builder... No I'm not from Finland!! :tongue3:

Hey oregon....I work with cuban mahogany....4x superior to Honduran mahogany in all categories. Swetiena mahogany, or cuban mahogany is an endangered and protected species. We are only allowed to take storm fall or permitted take downs. If the county approves one for cutting an arborist, or biologist must approve, and 3 must be planted in its place. It is highly sought after by the guitar makers for its superior tonal qualities.....and once fueled the golden age of furniture making...better known as the mahogany age. Every tree that comes down and we gain possession of is a true treasure and represents a substantial monetary gain if processed correctly. It is truly incredible wood !!
 
Last edited:
Morning bill and bart.
 
Hey oregon....I work with cuban mahogany....4? superior to Honduran mahogany in all categories. Swetiena mahogany, or cuban mahogany is an endangered and protected species. We are only allowed to take storm fall or permitted take downs. If the county approves one for cutting an arborist, or biologist must approve, and 3 must be planted in its place. It is highly sought after by the guitar makers for its superior tonal qualities.....and once fueled the golden age of furniture making...better known as the mahogany age. Every tree that comes down and we gain possession of is a true treasure and represents a substantial monetary gain if processed correctly. It is truly incredible wood !!
We have Butternut trees that fall under the same type of protection.
I have one large tree that came down on the property, it's huge.
20201023_203241.webp
 
Brings back the memory of the Snowbird's 2 Tudor jets that touched and crashed at the 1989 CNE air show in Toronto.
I was selected in a bidding process to do a total dissimilation/destruction process of the 2 jets. (cut into little pieces) so nothing went to souvenir collectors/sellers.
The pilot lost his life in the one jet. It basically came in large gaylord boxes on skids, and then skids of larger parts like the engine, wing assemblies.

I was going through the large boxes and came across the large envelopes that contained all the paperwork/flight manuals/procedures/towers/hazards within the flight range between Trenton and Toronto.
Then there was one bulky envelope (File folder size) I ripped it open and dumped it and 13 plastic bags slid across the unit cement floor.
I started to read the tag ID on the envelopes and when I saw a wiring harness-Thorax-chills ran down my spine and being 3am-I went home to rest.
Called up the base (Downsview) later in the AM and explained what I found-returned the pilot's remains, and received a door slammed in the face thank you.
(So military way of saying thank you):dontknow:

Turns out they had been looking for these envelopes for 5 yrs, the officer just said "You know when a piece of $hit hits the fan-well there's whole dump truck hitting it right now!"
(They were to be buried with the pilots remains)

Over the years it seemed that the bidding process was a lot easier for me. I bought a lot of the Dew Line items over the years, and saw a lot of weird looking items, it was basically what buttered my bread in the early beginnings of the company.
There wasn't anything mentioned about the envelopes for 20 yrs after out of respect of the parties involved.
Just a memory-thought of today.

Good morning, Pirates!

Sorry I had to bug out quick yesterday.

Pepper, that sounds like a very thing to have to do. I think that would have messed with my head for a couple days.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

  • Back
    Top Bottom