What's new

THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

This is fishing weather or at least it was around here right up until about fifteen minutes after the wind changed from north to north east. This morning I ran the skiff over a school of walleye in about 12 feet of water. Stopped the boat and started casting, picked up three around 17"-17-1/2". Released them all. I'm surprised they didn't spook. After that I had a depth to work with- 12' - so I anchored in another spot and ended up with a 23-3/4" walleye. Biggest of the year, so far.

Walleye for lunch after church. : )

Congrats on the fishing, DS! Sounds like an excellent lunch!
 
Good morning, Pirates!

Sorry I had to bug out quick yesterday.

Pepper, that sounds like a very thing to have to do. I think that would have messed with my head for a couple days.

Looking back on the whole process WD, I think I would just say today-"Thank You for the offer-but I'll pass."
It seemed that there was Aura to the whole process of doing the contract, maybe I just got a tad spooked-but knowing myself well enough I believe there was a certain amount of something that goes/comes with it, that is kind of hard to explain.
 
So...

Walking the flea market i see a "wood guy" (means he likes wood stuff) walking my direction off in the distance carrying something and looking pleased...

I am watching him and see he is obviously headed toward me intently... and see he is carrying under his arm is what looks like a large carved wood pig...

As he gets closer I begin to make out that it also appears to be of a folk art style...

And as he gets even closer i see it looks "the part"... and am very curious at what will almost certainly be some Pier1 imported item...

Then he is in front of me saying "check out this pig i just bought... isnt it cool"..." what do you think it is".

I stand there for a second and just read him and then begin to eyeball his "pig"... and then my heart begins to pump with every second of looking at what he is just roughly holding...

So...

I say...

"Do you know what you might have just bought" ... "can i see it please"...

The minute it was in my hands i was in disbelief... and carefully study it.

He says... "did i do good" ?.

I say...

"you dont know what you have here do you ?"

He says... "no what is it".

I say...

" i think you may have just pulled the best item from a flea market that in 33 years of flea markets i have ever seen".

he immediately looks like i am messing with him and chuckles.

I give him the most serious look i can and say very slowly... "i am not joking with you man"

His smile drops in a serious face and says "really".

I look back and say... "Really... no bulls-it".

He says " why ? what is it"...

I say..........................

"I think you may have just found the Holy Grail of antique Americana primitive folk art"... AND its not a pig... its a boar... see where the tusks were"

He says " Nahhh no way... you have got to be kidding me... come on man"... i just bought this for 10 bucks from that old guy in the van down there".

I immediately say "WHAT ! now you are kidding right... only 10 frigging dollars"...

So... several veteran dealers who i would have thought "knew their sh-t" begin listening intently to my words... (we we standing in front of and with many) and begin debating what i have just said to this guy... and looking at it with disbelief in what i am telling this guy...

So i turn to them and say... "the fact you guys dont know what this guy just bought shows your lack or real antique knowledge"... SO... "let me teach you something".

And take out my phone... and open google and begin doing some cursery searching...

And bingo...

There is almost identical styles... NO boars... NOWHERE NEAR the "coolness"... OR detail... OR many other attributes like the handmade nails holding THE COPPER EYES AND TAIL in.... ETC ETC ETC... PAINT ETC ETC ETC.

Here is CLOSEST... HALF of what this guy just bought for 10 bucks... HALF in every way.

2013 auction... Estimate... heh... 125k-175k.

https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/2680B/lots/33
 
Last edited:
Screenshot_20210712-092846_MyRadar.webp
Im getting pounded !!
 
Mornin all.

Been 15 years. Bought a pup out of a wicker basket where it was squabbling with a littermate.
Went back later for the littermate we'd left.
One was the now old man dog. Tiny guy. Stayed small too as an adult. He didn't know though. Take on hell with a water pistol king of dog.
Rode the long ride to his new home on my lap.

A digger. He defeated many of my attempts to keep him fenced. Off I'd go to find him in the woods, or looking for a cat at a house somewhere.
He'd ride with my squirrel dog on the cart out in the woods sometimes. Always fired up and ready to rock.

We took the old man dog for a cart ride yesterday through some of the woods we used to run. He on a dog bed with a blanket on him peeking out and sniffing.( He always liked little soft blankets to cover himself with at night to stay warm. And he shivers easy now.
Up and down the dirt road after.
Had him out in the yard wobbling around the day before. He was trying. Not sure where he was trying to go. It was tough to watch. But needed.

Gave me the "let me be , I've had enough" look this morning.
Got one med in him , the other mixed with a taste of food he ignored.

It's time it ends. I don't want it to. Maybe today I'll be told the vet is waiting. And we'll go for another ride. Dammit..
 
Last edited:
Mornin all.

Been 15 years. Bought a pup out of a wicker basket where it was squabbling with a littermate.
Went back later for the littermate we'd left.
One was the now old man dog. Tiny guy. Stayed small too as an adult. He didn't know though. Take on hell with a water pistol king of dog.
Rode the long ride to his new home on my lap.

A digger. He defeated many of my attempts to keep him fenced. Off I'd go to find him in the woods, or looking for a cat at a house somewhere.
He'd ride with my squirrel dog on the cart out in the woods sometimes. Always fired up and ready to rock.

We took the old man dog for a cart ride yesterday through some of the woods we used to run. He on a dog bed with a blanket on him peeking out and sniffing.( He always liked little soft blankets to cover himself with at night to stay warm. And he shivers easy now.
Up and down the dirt road after.
Had him out in the yard wobbling around the day before. He was trying. Not sure where he was trying to go. It was tough to watch. But needed.

Gave me the "let me be , I've had enough" look this morning.
Got one med in him , the other mixed with a taste of food he ignored.

It's time it ends. I don't want it to. Maybe today I'll be told the vet is waiting. And we'll go for another ride. Dammit..

Oh RC, not a great morning in your world.
It's a hard road to travel, I read it now the keyboard is blurry it seems.
A tough but necessary road we all have to travel.
Sorry to hear it though.
 
Mornin all.

Been 15 years. Bought a pup out of a wicker basket where it was squabbling with a littermate.
Went back later for the littermate we'd left.
One was the now old man dog. Tiny guy. Stayed small too as an adult. He didn't know though. Take on hell with a water pistol king of dog.
Rode the long ride to his new home on my lap.

A digger. He defeated many of my attempts to keep him fenced. Off I'd go to find him in the woods, or looking for a cat at a house somewhere.
He'd ride with my squirrel dog on the cart out in the woods sometimes. Always fired up and ready to rock.

We took the old man dog for a cart ride yesterday through some of the woods we used to run. He on a dog bed with a blanket on him peeking out and sniffing.( He always liked little soft blankets to cover himself with at night to stay warm. And he shivers easy now.
Up and down the dirt road after.
Had him out in the yard wobbling around the day before. He was trying. Not sure where he was trying to go. It was tough to watch. But needed.

Gave me the "let me be , I've had enough" look this morning.
Got one med in him , the other mixed with a taste of food he ignored.

It's time it ends. I don't want it to. Maybe today I'll be told the vet is waiting. And we'll go for another ride. Dammit..

Sorry to hear RC.

I just lost one of mine as you know... so i know exactly how you are feeling.
 
Sorry to read that, releventchair. We will be thinking about you today.
 
So...

Walking the flea market i see a "wood guy" (means he likes wood stuff) walking my direction off in the distance carrying something and looking pleased...

I am watching him and see he is obviously headed toward me intently... and see he is carrying under his arm is what looks like a large carved wood pig...

As he gets closer I begin to make out that it also appears to be of a folk art style...

And as he gets even closer i see it looks "the part"... and am very curious at what will almost certainly be some Pier1 imported item...

Then he is in front of me saying "check out this pig i just bought... isnt it cool"..." what do you think it is".

I stand there for a second and just read him and then begin to eyeball his "pig"... and then my heart begins to pump with every second of looking at what he is just roughly holding...

So...

I say...

"Do you know what you might have just bought" ... "can i see it please"...

The minute it was in my hands i was in disbelief... and carefully study it.

He says... "did i do good" ?.

I say...

"you dont know what you have here do you ?"

He says... "no what is it".

I say...

" i think you may have just pulled the best item from a flea market that in 33 years of flea markets i have ever seen".

he immediately looks like i am messing with him and chuckles.

I give him the most serious look i can and say very slowly... "i am not joking with you man"

His smile drops in a serious face and says "really".

I look back and say... "Really... no bulls-it".

He says " why ? what is it"...

I say..........................

"I think you may have just found the Holy Grail of antique Americana primitive folk art"... AND its not a pig... its a boar... see where the tusks were"

He says " Nahhh no way... you have got to be kidding me... come on man"... i just bought this for 10 bucks from that old guy in the van down there".

I immediately say "WHAT ! now you are kidding right... only 10 frigging dollars"...

So... several veteran dealers who i would have thought "knew their sh-t" begin listening intently to my words... (we we standing in front of and with many) and begin debating what i have just said to this guy... and looking at it with disbelief in what i am telling this guy...

So i turn to them and say... "the fact you guys dont know what this guy just bought shows your lack or real antique knowledge"... SO... "let me teach you something".

And take out my phone... and open google and begin doing some cursery searching...

And bingo...

There is almost identical styles... NO boars... NOWHERE NEAR the "coolness"... OR detail... OR many other attributes like the handmade nails holding THE COPPER EYES AND TAIL in.... ETC ETC ETC... PAINT ETC ETC ETC.

Here is CLOSEST... HALF of what this guy just bought for 10 bucks... HALF in every way.

2013 auction... Estimate... heh... 125k-175k.

https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/2680B/lots/33

I wish I could get that lucky at a flea market or garage sale.
 
Holy cow....im getting poundedScreenshot_20210712-113916_MyRadar.webp

Very strong wind and lightning!! Can't finish my teak decks....some rough stuff when your boat has a tuna tower !! Maybe...30 feet high and made of aluminum !!
 
RC...its tough....keep your chin up !! Heart felt feelings go out to you !!
 
A woman i know well said she had picked it up and set it back down because she saw a tiny bug on it.

She wanted it and asked "how much"... the guy told her 10 bucks... she picked it up... had it in her hands,,, was gonna get out 10 bucks... but she saw a bug and put it back down.

heh
 
A woman i know well said she had picked it up and set it back down because she saw a tiny bug on it.

She wanted it and asked "how much"... the guy told her 10 bucks... she picked it up... had it in her hands,,, was gonna get out 10 bucks... but she saw a bug and put it back down.

heh

That would be my kind of luck.

I took my dad to the flea market yesterday. Boy how things have changed! It?s the reason why I bugged out yesterday. Back in the day, you had to get there early and beat the crowds and get to see everything. First dibs, so to speak. Shoot, we got there and more than half the booths weren?t opened yet. We left at around 11:00 am and that?s when they started opening. Darn shameful it was. Hardly anything old there, except for tools. All cheap new stuff.
 
Sometimes I scratch my head at the financial decisions people make.

A buddy of mine who I've known through work since my late teens.

About 8 years or so ago he read an article stating that the single family home prices were going to tank with the baby boomers upcoming retirements.

Courtesy of that solitary article he sold his extended bungalo for probably about $400,000 or so and bought himself a 2 bedroom condo for more or less the same price.

Not only did he have to get rid of a bunch of excess furniture, etc...they no longer had room for they were stuck with moving expenses, new appliances expenses, etc...and the kicker since it was new construction he got dinged with both federal and provincial taxes of 15% so add another $60,000 bill to the purchase price.

Then he saw another article stating that condo prices were going to tank and dumped the condo luckily at a small profit and ended up renting another condo in the same building. After the 2 year lease was up the owner decided not to renew and move in himself.

So they ended up renting another place for a couple of years....then this spring he put in a couple of offers on houses comparible to what he had sold, however, the prices are now about $700,000 so $300,000 higher than he originally sold for....lol.

So this morning at our morning coffee get together he tells me he has an appointment with a building inspector because he made an offer on a condo in the same building he was in earlier. I'm sure at a much higher price than he sold his for earlier.

I had to bite my tongue big time not to tell him he's been behaving as a financial idiot....keep in mind we both worked in railway marketing so crunching numbers on profitability, etc is what we were paid to do....it boggles my mind.
 
Was an alright day, got the outside of the field baled up and under a new 28x48 hay tarp.
The mice should be very happy now to chew more holes in the new one.
 
Bah... my first and definitely one of the worst antique blunders was in the early days as a kid picker... was a 5500 dollar mechanical bank i passed on ... for 15 dollars.

After that... I studied hard... i would spend COUNTLESS hours in antique books.... gotta remember...at that time... was the only way... ***ARC says in grumpy grampa scratchy voice***

"dint have no gosh darned intra-net"

Books were the only way to know what you just bought or what you passed on.

Barnes and nobles... Walden bookstores and all and any others... i would always wait for the new releases of each book... mainly Schroeder's.... Kovel's... Warman's... etc.

Also any record books... never got into toys or coca cola or that "collectible" crapola like beanie babies or that kinda crap...

I wanted a Scrimshaw tusk... or cane... or trench art... ships boxes and anything and everything nautical... fishing... and always maps or rare books of interesting subject matter / history.

As far as the history behind any of that ... i lived in Libraries as a kid anyway... so... heh
 
ARC,

As the saying goes knowledge is power....with high school I managed to make a good living in railway marketing. At the tail end of my career I was mentoring MBA's.

Simple answer was I was a sponge and absorbed everything about the game to win more often than most.
 
When I was 16/17, my grandma gave me the coins my grandpa had collected. He had died when I was very young. She felt that out of all her grandkids, I would be the most responsible person to pass them onto. I knew nothing about coins. Still don?t know much, but have learned a lot from the site. There was a second cousin who?s husband collected, and I was advised to take them to him to get information. But, my mom strongly said, ?If he offers you money, don?t sell them to him! He will cheat you!? This bothered me immensely. They baby sat me for years and I knew he adored me. I couldn?t believe he would do that. He broke out his big coin book and we looked up what I had in the American coins and advised me to take them to the coin shop if I wanted to learn more about the foreign ones. He never tried to buy any. I had so much anxiety going on that I wanted to puke when I left. Fast forward to this house and the internet. I had 2 old ones from 1855. I got them out to look them up and I haven?t seen them since. I don?t even remember what they were, except the year, they were very worn, about the size of a half dollar and I think they had an eagle on it. I have asked my son, awkwardly, several times if he hocked them. He swears he didn?t. They have got to be in the house somewhere.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom