What's new

THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

LOL!

If people knew how many sharks are out there nobody would go in the water. As long as there is good vis the shark isn't going to bother you.

On World Fishing Network I watched these guys go out of Jupiter to a wreck at 90 ft. Water was crystal clear. There were several big tiger sharks and a giant grouper, and the divers sat on the bottom and fed them. One of the tigers actually rolled over on his back and let a diver rub its belly.

I wouldn't recommend that, but the point is if the vis is good and you leave them alone they will leave you alone. Remember, you have more chance of being hit by lightning than being bit by a shark.


Yeah, I know I am a big chicken. It takes repetition for me to overcome my fears. I used to have to be 2 sheets to the wind before i could get on an airplane. I am pretty good about flying now.
 
Good second morning, pirates!
Well, I do apologize for bugging out like I did.

< snippity >

Anyways, I did miss the RCT and all your finds and shenanigans. Even though we were signed up for cell service, it did not work, and there internet was laughable. I was surprised I was able to make my post on the pic thread.

Welcome back milady! Good to "hear" from you again!
ZORRO_BOWS.gif
 
LOL!

If people knew how many sharks are out there nobody would go in the water. As long as there is good vis the shark isn't going to bother you.

On World Fishing Network I watched these guys go out of Jupiter to a wreck at 90 ft. Water was crystal clear. There were several big tiger sharks and a giant grouper, and the divers sat on the bottom and fed them. One of the tigers actually rolled over on his back and let a diver rub its belly.

I wouldn't recommend that, but the point is if the vis is good and you leave them alone they will leave you alone. Remember, you have more chance of being hit by lightning than being bit by a shark.

Its all the frame of mind.
Speaking of lightning. My kids were all afraid of it, especially the thunder. I used to tell them that if they heard the thunder.....they didn't have a problem...and....if they didn't hear the thunder.....well.....they *still* didn't have any problem.

Somehow...that logic didn't seem to comfort them much. :dontknow:
:angel12:
 
WD,

Will be making a 1 quart batch of fermented dill pickles with these and some extras in the fridge.

Should be tasty....we also peel them and use them fresh in salad or as a side dish.
 
WD,

Will be making a 1 quart batch of fermented dill pickles with these and some extras in the fridge.

Should be tasty....we also peel them and use them fresh in salad or as a side dish.

I have some in the frig for 4-5 years now in canning jars . Do you Think their still good ?
 
Whats the Pirate's gun of choice ?.............Arrr 15 :tongue3:
 
What has 8 arms,8 legs,8 eyes ?..........8 pirates:tongue3:
 
What does a dyslexic pirate say ? .....RRRA :icon_scratch:
 
Roger,

Are they salt fermented or heat processed in a vinegar solution? Either way let you wife try some and let us know....just kidding.



I have some in the frig for 4-5 years now in canning jars . Do you Think their still good ?
 
Roger,

Are they salt fermented or heat processed in a vinegar solution? Either way let you wife try some and let us know....just kidding.

Heat processed w/brine vinegar vacuum packed.
 
Roger,

Well if they are vacuum sealed they should be ok other than maybe being a bit on the softish side you're a pirate live dangerously and give one a try.
 
Who cut the Reale's back in the 1700s ? The store clerk ? the owner of the coin ? Did they sell em already cut ? What did they cut them with ?

the typical method was a cold chisel/hammer on an anvil...they are soft, so it doesnt take much...

550px-Spain_1718S_8_reales_Aureo_1319g.webp

The "cross" on the reale made it easy to cut into 2 bits, and 4 bits...going to 8 bits, there is the "bracket parenthesis" } symbol to line up with....

derivations were { to } to make 2 bits, etc....
 
Last edited:
the typical method was a cold chisel/hammer on an anvil...they are soft, so it doesnt take much...

View attachment 1940147

The "cross" on the reale made it easy to cut into 2 bits, and 4 bits...going to 8 bits, there is the "bracket parenthesis" } symbol to line up with....

derivations were { to } to make 2 bits, etc....

"Cross Potent".

Knives were used most IMO... one would rest coin on table... block of wood... or anything handy really and would suffice... blade would be placed on cross line and back of blade was struck with again whatever was handy at the time.

People that cut them often had chopping blocks and mallets etc.

And i am sure as stated above by xaos... anvils were used a lot as well.

BUT...

Little hard to carry a heavy anvil around all te time or be around one... heh

"hey Joe you got change for a dollar" ? ? ?

"hold on Joe let me get my anvil wallet outta my pocket".

:P

This is alllll... conjecture... :)
 
Mary's last shot at the gold(get the pun) lol :) 2am tomorrow my time.
 
Our Governor Ron DeSantis says everything will be OK and send in the tourists!
No worries, Be HAPPY!

Next stop for him ...President :)
 
Little hard to carry a heavy anvil around all te time or be around one... heh

pretty sure that was the shops having this capability...8-)

probably a blacksmith was hired to make change for a shop!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom