What's new

THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Morning to the crew. Some more rain overnight and probably another harvest of garden bounty today. we picked 5 pickling cukes, some yellow beans, kale and cherry tomatoes yesterday.

We're going to have to set up a stand at the end of the driveway soon....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Morning Bill

Rainfall? Not the thundering light show? Nothing like getting up and having to close up at 1am-so no watering again today-seems that things are staying wet, more than not for the gardens.
 
Is that you garden bart?

Yup....my wife's brown thumb of death.....has started to turn green. While she was gone with the kid for 6 weeks I managed to get everything green !!
 
Hard to get the hay done this year it seems for a lot of farmers.
Just yesterday one mentioned that he got some done the day before-5 round bales! The other fellow commented that he only has 350 rounds done-usually at this time of the year his count is between 750-800 rounds. The hay is stunted on many fields, the ones that have managed have the new type of balers that will do the work in 1/4 of the time and can spray the hay if too moist. I'm good, why would I want the organic sprayed with a Propylene Glycol/Propionic Acid mixture.
So there's a 2 day window now to finish the field, have to go up to the field store to get some organic turkey grower, and might as well get the supply of chicken grower.
Now the hens seem to love sneaking into the turkey area/chick area and eating the starter-must like candy to them-totally addictive that high calorie food.
Well it looks like the broody hen is leaving the chicks more and more-got an egg out of the broody box yesterday, and last night she didn't join the 9 chicks at the end of the day.
So they're getting more and more independent everyday it seems and growing like a bad weeds.
Though the other day they were all having a dirt bath together-so it's still a teaching/sharing life.
 
Bart,

It's amazing how much of our own food we can grow with a bit of effort. Way more tasty and nourishing than the cardboard stuff from the stores.

I see the cases are spiking south of the border and especially in FL stay safe down there folks.

Unless your my wife .She can spend big dollars on planting vegs.,for a very small return:BangHead:
 
Roger,

The main trick is to keep the veggies watered during hot dry periods. And plenty of compost or manure to build up the nutrients in the soil also some people put down grass clippings or other items as mulch to keep the soil from overheating and drying out.
 
Roger,

The main trick is to keep the veggies watered during hot dry periods. And plenty of compost or manure to build up the nutrients in the soil also some people put down grass clippings or other items as mulch to keep the soil from overheating and drying out.

It takes sometimes a few years to get the soils right for growing it seems.
Was chatting with a farmer and his wife a while back and they were mocking the lady next door and her new garden plot in the field, and the electric rototiller she was attempting to use.
Well they went on & on about folks seem to think they can get a garden going out of a field-bla-bla.
I said: "Beats trying to get one started from a bush"
(My thought was good for her in trying to feed herself and her family)

It's always a struggle trying to get things right in the growing-some make it look easy-and others struggle to no end trying to get it grow right.
It seems that the blending of great compost into the soils year after year builds a foundation of nutrients that plants love to thrive in-just ask my weeds-they know where to go.....:laughing7:
 
Thought there was a program where they were introducing sterile male mosquitos to knock down the species.
Wonder who has the job of castrating them?

Despite the gold coins already discovered and brought up, crates of gold from Brother Jonathan still remain hidden and undisturbed. The large safe with its millions of dollars of jewels, gold bars, and gold was never found. The salvors estimate that four-fifths of the treasure is still waiting to be discovered—mere miles from land.
ohhh...the brother jonathan...just had to bring that one back did you...

State of California...:BangHead:
 
It was 81 degrees here at 4 AM this morning.Ain't been this hot since the pigs ate my brother .
 
Last edited:
Who cut the Reale's back in the 1700s ? The store clerk ? the owner of the coin ? Did they sell em already cut ? What did they cut them with ?
 
Last edited:
Good question RC....not sure about that !!
 
Good second morning, pirates!
Well, I do apologize for bugging out like I did. We had a lot going on: grandson's birthday, banquet for the derby, car issues, health issues (minor), and then we get this call from our resort guy, "hey, wanna go to Belize?" "Uh, HECK Yeah!" So then, the mad scurrying around to get things in order. We didn't even make it to the banquet to collect my $500.00. Then, the resort double booked and we had to change our flights, which was a pain in the butt! And it took forever to get home. We had a 12 hour lay over in DFW. We went from staying at two different 5-star resorts to a super 8. LOL! First, we stayed at the new Valley Stream resort in the rain forest. It was spectacular! I think you can still read this write up w/o a subscription: https://time.com/collection/worlds-greatest-places-2021/6079221/belize/


This resort is on a 120 acre farm in the rain forest. The farm provides most of the food: chickens, turkeys, and lots of various fruits and vegetables. It was quite impressive! I have pics that need to be downloaded and processed yet.

We took this butts up cave tubing. You talk about some cold water!



Then, we went to Kanu Island again! I told you about the island before. It has a 5 star rating, but, there are issues. They are like self reliant: solar panels to create their own electricity and charge their own batteries and a generator for backup power. Desalinate the water for non potable use. And their own sewage system. Now here in lies a problem. They still don't have that tweaked to perfection. The methane gas was pretty bad this time.
I had a great time though. My scalp, face, and back of my neck is sunburned and I have sand flea/fly bites from head to toe. But it is so beautiful there! I would go back in a heart beat!

One day, while all the guys were fishing, us 3 gals went snorkeling. Well, I wanted to use my new toy, so I didn't actually snorkel.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/head...-MSN&msclkid=ee9af681912a19c550b6978595033cfc



It did not work out so well. I was already anxious going in because I had been watching shark week. There is no peripheral vision, and I kept running into coral with no way to get around it without touching it. And I was splashing and making a commotion trying to get around. And that little voice kept saying, "There are over 350 shark species in these waters!" So I bugged out on them. A little later, a sail boat came over to snorkel the reefs. About 5/6 of them were out. I heard someone say. "Shark!" and they all got back on the sail boat. I said, to one of the ladies, "See, I had a feeling." Well, later, when the guys got back, 7 of them went out, me and the MR stayed back. They were not out for but about a half hour. They came in all kinds of excited, and not a good kind. The 18 year old seen a shark that he said was bigger than him. After a day of trying to get online and figure out the ID on which shark. They were fairly certain it was just a nurse shark. I don't care. I still was not feeling it, so I stayed in the pool or a boat.

Speaking of that, here is another not so warm fuzzy. I went out drop fishing with the MR and a friend, and the island guide. We dropped anchor outside of the buoy marker for the Marine Reserve. Next thing we know, this boat comes along side us with 4 guys, 2 of them are in camo uniforms and carrying M-16s. The soldiers stayed quiet. One guy started to explain that even though we were outside of the marker, we were still in the reserve and were not allowed to fish there. The other guy, who was driving their boat wanted to be a little more aggressive about it. The first guy looked over at me and then waved him off. Lol! There is no guessing about it! I KNOW I looked petrified, because I was! IMO he was right to calm down the situation. It is not good for their country to terrorize the tourists when tourism is their big cash boost for their economy and they are still recovering from the shut down. So, we learned that apparently, you are not allowed to fish within a half mile from the marker of the buoy. Supposedly, it is too deep for them to put the marker at the actual line. We all chuckled after the fact. I mean who is going to argue when there are 2 guys with M16s at the ready?

Anyways, I did miss the RCT and all your finds and shenanigans. Even though we were signed up for cell service, it did not work, and there internet was laughable. I was surprised I was able to make my post on the pic thread.
 
One day, while all the guys were fishing, us 3 gals went snorkeling.
It did not work out so well. I was already anxious going in because I had been watching shark week.
LOL!

If people knew how many sharks are out there nobody would go in the water. As long as there is good vis the shark isn't going to bother you.

On World Fishing Network I watched these guys go out of Jupiter to a wreck at 90 ft. Water was crystal clear. There were several big tiger sharks and a giant grouper, and the divers sat on the bottom and fed them. One of the tigers actually rolled over on his back and let a diver rub its belly.

I wouldn't recommend that, but the point is if the vis is good and you leave them alone they will leave you alone. Remember, you have more chance of being hit by lightning than being bit by a shark.
 
Since the captain ain't around I'll sneak in a pic of my pickling cucumber harvest this a.m.....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:
 

Attachments

  • DSC04116.webp
    DSC04116.webp
    363.5 KB · Views: 25
The W.D.'s stormed Belize!

Scared the sharks. Plundered off limit fishing waters. Foiled the military's sport. Fed the fleas. Probably put a big dent in the rum.
They're climbing the pirate ranks hand over fist!....:skullflag: Arggh har har.

I like the part about placing the marker buoys where it's more convenient rather than where they are supposed to be. Seems like a little pirating going on on that side too...
 
The W.D.'s stormed Belize!

Scared the sharks. Plundered off limit fishing waters. Foiled the military's sport. Fed the fleas. Probably put a big dent in the rum.
They're climbing the pirate ranks hand over fist!....:skullflag: Arggh har har.

I like the part about placing the marker buoys where it's more convenient rather than where they are supposed to be. Seems like a little pirating going on on that side too...

OMG! That is it! The fleas were going for the rum in the blood! No wonder I have so many bites!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom