What's new

THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Oh check this out. The original Blue Moon.

 
Whew! That took a little swimming to get caught up here.

So....
The big day with the grandkids knocked me down big time. We went with my son, his woman, and their 4, 6 & 8 yr olds, to the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium.



I over did it on the walking and steps, and have been paying for it. I could not do all of my physical therapy yesterday. The therapist grounded me, no walking, squatting or steps. Only my exercises. I slept all day Sunday, and then up all night in pain. And grumpy! Oh boy have I been grumpy! Feeling more sociable today. It was fun, though. A lot to see and do at the zoo. I can see why people get passes, because you can not get everything in in one day. The kids obviously enjoyed it. They made a zoo in their apartment and made tickets for mommy and daddy to go to their zoo. LOL!
 
Thanks Bill

Got the bottle of Everclear on the weekend-maybe a Elderberry tincture for colds-either it will cure me-or kill me results. :laughing7:

We have a few bags in the freezer, might reduce it to a jam, make a hard sucky out of them. When it gets up in the 325F+ it gets the Humbug hardness happening. :)

Elderberry wine...
I don't encounter enough of them to get a volume. I've spotted some that were tempting but birds were working them. And it was easier to imagine the birds continuing to enjoy them. As it would have taken all of them to brew with.
Read that a fork helps seperate berries from stems.
 
Mornin all.
Mornin grumpy W.D..

Well , I was insulted ( I think ) when the tractor on the driveway topic came up.
Had a better insult to reply with , but shut up instead.
Not as bad as anticipated. l.o.l..
 
Good morning, rc. I am glad you survived the new tractor discovery. It is easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission.
 
Considering the temperature today just keeping it simple for supper. I'll be opening a can of fava beens, adding some frozen mussels, chopped up peppers, celery, onion and some other odds and ends and add some home made salad dressing to finish it off.
 
Considering the temperature today just keeping it simple for supper. I'll be opening a can of fava beens, adding some frozen mussels, chopped up peppers, celery, onion and some other odds and ends and add some home made salad dressing to finish it off.

l.o.l.
It's like wearing long underwear in a sauna.
 
ARC/RC,

Speaking of long johns in the sauna....coming back from my morning walk around 10 a.m. a jogger went by me wearing a ski jacket with the hood up.

Obviously trying to work up a serious sweat in this heat or give himself a heart attack.
 
ARC/RC,

Speaking of long johns in the sauna....coming back from my morning walk around 10 a.m. a jogger went by me wearing a ski jacket with the hood up.

Obviously trying to work up a serious sweat in this heat or give himself a heart attack.

My heart got going the other day in the heat wrestling tractor. Hand cranking when it was passed out ect..
Had to take a break. Then another after touring some of the property.
Finally said the heck with it and went home.
Still waiting for a cooler day as an excuse to work on getting that tractor going again.

I like summer. Just not acclimated like when I worked in the heat year round. Or as young...

I do recall hitting the river years ago before I had A.C. on hot days.
Where the creeks enter it from springs , your beverages stay chilled in water so cold your feet hurt. Luxury! And bonus trout most times for supper. They being where the cold water mixes with the river for temperature and oxygens sake.
 
C'mon Xaos;
Get your patrician butt in the shop and find me a mid eighties 4H.P. Belgian Johnson plastic prop for $50 bucks, including shipping...:laughing7:

Have a J.C. Penny 3.5 outside that needs tank testing. I expect it to run. But should locate a water pump impeller before getting too ambitious.
Auction bids when I offered it after it didn't sell at estate sale were below 60 dollars. With a good auxiliary metal tank and proper line fitting...
I have not dug too far as to who built it yet. Eska perhaps built the lower unit. Not sure if a Briggs or Tecumseh motor.

I sort of collect old outboard motors. I run em till they break and they are still laying around anyways. I got two almost identical outboards, same engine, one is a '82 Evinrude rated at 2hp, the other is a Johnson colt rated at 1.2 shp. They are essentially identical, one was made on license in Belgium, the other was made in Milwaukee. Both of them have been severely overheated but I think I can get one of them going again.

Another one I got hanging in the basement is an old Sears Gamefisher 1.2hp with a Tanaka engine. Tanaka outboard engines in general weren't too good, with the exception of the 1.2hp.. I got it used back in the mid nineties for $100. Ran it on the the skiff for about four years straight until the recoil on the pull start broke.

Found out a replacement used recoil is $100. Took the pull start housing off to exposed the face of the flywheel, tapped a pair of studs into the flywheel and then just wrapped the studs with a peice of cord to pull start. Ran it another two seasons of fishing/duck hunting and the shear pin on the prop broke. Bought new 3.5 Tohahtsu that week.

:laughing7: I think tomorrow im going to stick a 3/4" long peice of coat hanger wire in there to replace the shear pin and see if I can wind her up. Dangerous thing that out board, what with the two 1-1/4" studs whirling round and round and plenty of opportunity to get hung up in the cord starting it, thus maiming oneself, but I got a lot of good memories featuring that two stroke Tanaka.

Maybe just once more around the lake for old times. It sounds like a model airplane engine. I like it. :thumbsup:
 
My heart got going the other day in the heat wrestling tractor. Hand cranking when it was passed out ect..
Had to take a break. Then another after touring some of the property.
Finally said the heck with it and went home.
Still waiting for a cooler day as an excuse to work on getting that tractor going again.

I like summer. Just not acclimated like when I worked in the heat year round. Or as young...

I do recall hitting the river years ago before I had A.C. on hot days.
Where the creeks enter it from springs , your beverages stay chilled in water so cold your feet hurt. Luxury! And bonus trout most times for supper. They being where the cold water mixes with the river for temperature and oxygens sake.

Buddy and me had a spot by the creek where the cedars grew. The root system under the water created this great basket that would hold 24 stubby's.
There was always the question "Do you have a fridge hidden some where?" :laughing7:
 
I sort of collect old outboard motors. I run em till they break and they are still laying around anyways. I got two almost identical outboards, same engine, one is a '82 Evinrude rated at 2hp, the other is a Johnson colt rated at 1.2 shp. They are essentially identical, one was made on license in Belgium, the other was made in Milwaukee. Both of them have been severely overheated but I think I can get one of them going again.

Another one I got hanging in the basement is an old Sears Gamefisher 1.2hp with a Tanaka engine. Tanaka outboard engines in general weren't too good, with the exception of the 1.2hp.. I got it used back in the mid nineties for $100. Ran it on the the skiff for about four years straight until the recoil on the pull start broke.

Found out a replacement used recoil is $100. Took the pull start housing off to exposed the face of the flywheel, tapped a pair of studs into the flywheel and then just wrapped the studs with a peice of cord to pull start. Ran it another two seasons of fishing/duck hunting and the shear pin on the prop broke. Bought new 3.5 Tohahtsu that week.

:laughing7: I think tomorrow im going to stick a 3/4" long peice of coat hanger wire in there to replace the shear pin and see if I can wind her up. Dangerous thing that out board, what with the two 1-1/4" studs whirling round and round and plenty of opportunity to get hung up in the cord starting it, thus maiming oneself, but I got a lot of good memories featuring that two stroke Tanaka.

Maybe just once more around the lake for old times. It sounds like a model airplane engine. I like it. :thumbsup:

Have you seen the air cooled lawnmower engines mounted on outboard lowers?
They need a means of shorting the plug for a kill / stop. And turning them to go in reverse might not work....

There are some lower units with a square driveshaft. Those are the ones I've watched vids of. A socket (from ratchet wrench driven class, an impact socket might be better) is used to link engine shaft to lower unit.

This vid tells us about nothing. But the guy sounds like cousin Eddie so I like it...
 
That's one way to do it, I guess.

I saw a duck boat once with 7hp air cooled Honda and it had a universal joint between engine and shaft with a hinge on the cutlass bearing strut so you could raise the prop inside the hull. That along with a tip up rudder and you could pole your boat wherever it'll float.

A while back I was dreaming about do something similar but with much smaller engine. Maybe make it light enough to portage. 32cc chainsaw engine ought to do it...
 
Last edited:
That's one way to do it, I guess.

I saw a duck boat once with 7hp air cooled Honda and it had a universal joint between engine and shaft with a hinge on the cutlass bearing strut so you could raise the prop inside the hull. That along with a tip up rudder and you could pole your boat wherever it'll float.

A while back I was dreaming about do something similar but with much smaller engine. Maybe make it light enough to portage. 32cc chainsaw engine ought to do it...

Thai longtail kits look fun too.
Some mud motors here are similar.
2-strokes are noisy though. Louder in remote areas..
 
Mornin
 
Yesterday was truly a "dog day" of summer. Very few fresh finds. Not much to ID on what is it. No new Indian artifacts. I've had it with summer. 95 here today. Bring on some cooler weather. Gary
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom