THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will be having my 22kW unit installed just as soon as I get paid Jim. :laughing7:
Little over kill.......
I had a 15KW on the island (not a Generac) and it was way more than ever needed.
So are you saying I would need a 22kw Generac to do the same as a 15KW which 2 electric companies have spec'd out for this place.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It certainly looks interesting Roger, but it's facts like this statement that I find mis-leading.

"Ford's 9.6Kw will power your entire house for 3 days."

But, what exactly will it power, just the electric lights or the entire 200amp fuse panel for the entire home including the appliances? Don't get me wrong Roger, this is a very innovative idea, but what Ford is neglecting to tell you are the limitations to what their generators can actually power. :icon_scratch:
Dave a 200 amp house supply is newer homes. Many run on 150/100/60 even
Just do a total calculation of every appliance/device/light you have in your own home.
Now if everyone was running at he same time-what would add up to?
200 Amp panel =the breakdown of individual breakers
20 stove
20 HW tank
20 Dryer
15/10"s for common items like lights/plugs =x 12 can be run on a single 15 amp.

So even on a everything turns on at the same time-23,000watts is huge use, for a average home.(23KW)
This is the bone-the sales say a person has to match the gen to the service panel.
Which I fully understand that it would nearly match the service (191.666 amps)
When actually my 30amp gen hook up on the meter runs everything important. (heavy load)

So the Ford truck has enough battery power to power a continual load of 9600 watts for a 72 hrs period.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mor
Roger, Same deal here in Montreal....I suppose they need accurate weather for planes and just roll it out to the plebians like us.
Mornin all.
Appears old dogs don't like sub zero temps outside.
Leaving me a couple unwelcomed surprises to clean up...

Uncle et all :
N.O.A.A. is a federal outfit that trends having weather stations at airports.
They used to , (not sure if they still do) record weather forecasts for a number you could dial up to get info.
I used to watch them record some. And erase 8-track tape looking tapes with a magnet.

They had an old teletype thing that looked like it was a tickertape bringing news from the National Weather Service on the paper it cycled. If I'm recalling correctly.
And they had a couple of the latest and greatest computer type things labeled as being FORD created. Had thier logo on it anyways. Big as refrigerators....

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Dave a 200 amp house supply is newer homes. Many run on 150/100/60 even
Just do a total calculation of every appliance/device/light you have in your own home.
Now if everyone was running at he same time-what would add up to?
200 Amp panel =the breakdown of individual breakers
20 stove
20 HW tank
20 Dryer
15/10"s for common items like lights/plugs =x 12 can be run on a single 15 amp.

So even on a everything turns on at the same time-23,000watts is huge use, for a average home.(23KW)
This is the bone-the sales say a person has to match the gen to the service panel.
Which I fully understand that it would nearly match the service (191.666 amps)
When actually my 30amp gen hook up on the meter runs everything important. (heavy load)

So the Ford truck has enough battery power to power a continual load of 9600 watts for a 72 hrs period.

Hey , if he gets a discount , he can buy/ run a giant! L.o.l.. And run several lines to neighboring homes. Like a small power company.

Well pump and central air are my bigger loads.

They do make a 48kW. That'll keep the chickens lit ,warm, and enough juice for live bands to entertain them.
And heat the entire lake so they can hot tub.
:laughing7:

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It certainly looks interesting Roger, but it's facts like this statement that I find mis-leading.

"Ford's 9.6Kw will power your entire house for 3 days."

But, what exactly will it power, just the electric lights or the entire 200amp fuse panel for the entire home including the appliances? Don't get me wrong Roger, this is a very innovative idea, but what Ford is neglecting to tell you are the limitations to what their generators can actually power. :icon_scratch:
I've owned Fords. Still have one.
Do I want it to be my back up?

Besides depending on it's electrical system after varied clime and salt exposures. Draining a battery often enough never helps. So , like ambulances ect. lets just add the feature of the engine starting up before the battery gets too low.
This means , truck will not be in the garage. (I have no garage anyways , but consumers that do need to heed not running a gas fueled....Ect. and so on.)

Depending on where you live , having a truck running outside with a power station on it could be a magnet.

But my biggest reason for not wanting the house plugged into the truck is my wanting to drive the truck away from the house... To get more gas. To plow snow. To get away from the house in general.
Leaving the house ,dogs,her royal indoors without power.

Yes I could take her vehicle instead. Then be to blame for anything that changes with it forever. l.o.l..
But that's me.
Not everyone has options of another vehicle to boogie with . Let alone another truck. I do because....
Each time I see that commercial though , I see a truck committed to staying put.

As to portable power in the field , my 350 dollar generator is a wee bit cheaper.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well those sweet peppers I roasted yesterday were peeled and cut in strips and put in the fridge overnight. This morning after my walk chopped up 4 large cloves of garlic and added them to the bowl, along with lots of dried oregano, salt, pepper, juice of a big fat lemon, balsamic vinegar and topped it up with canola oil. Well ended up with 2 pint sized jars. The peppers cost $1.50 and probably about the same for the rest of the ingredients. So not a bad deal for $3.00 and a bit of effort.

DSC04266.JPG

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John, Good morning so did you finally put the bug to rest?
Appears I have. I feel fine. I apparently got lucky and it just didn't affect me that bad. Though guess covid doesn't bother my family that bad. Early on my younger brother caught the original variant and was just like a cold to him lost his taste and smell awhile but otherwise did nothing. My brother was around my father the whole time and nothing happened ro my father, my other brother didn't get it being around him. Just interesting stuff.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear you're feeling better John. It sure would be nice to have an update this morning on WD and her husbands situation. :thumbsup:
Yeah I'm waiting to hear from everyone else to make sure the rest of the crew is okay. I'm a little quieter than most and not as good at conversation but I care about our little crew.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Snowfall Warning – Southern Ontario

Issued at 09:57am Sunday 16 January 2022

Significant snowfall beginning tonight.

What: Total snowfall amounts of 6 to 8 inches with locally higher amounts of 1 foot possible.
Snow, at times heavy, with peak snowfall rates of 1 to 2 inches per hour possible which could significantly reduce visibilities. Local blowing snow at times due to winds gusting up to 40mp/h.

When: Tonight through Monday evening.

Discussion: A low pressure system tracking south of the Great Lakes will bring significant snowfall to the region. Heavy snow will likely significantly impact the Monday morning commute. Local blowing snow is also possible Monday afternoon and evening with gusty northerly to northwesterly winds.

Rapidly accumulating snow will make travel difficult. Visibility may be suddenly reduced at times in heavy snow. There may be a significant impact on rush hour traffic in urban areas.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah I'm waiting to hear from everyone else to make sure the rest of the crew is okay. I'm a little quieter than most and not as good at conversation but I care about our little crew.

Me too bud, the covid situation isn't good anywhere in the world right now. Usually I'd be looking forward to going to Vegas, but not this year. :sadsmiley:

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me too bud, the covid situation isn't good anywhere in the world right now. Usually I'd be looking forward to going to Vegas, but not this year. :sadsmiley:
I still will go out and about the same as I always do. But I'm just not at risk. Of course if I'm sick I won't otherwise for me I'm going to keep living my life. Still going to say those at risk should be careful and get vaccines and such. As for me I'm staying unvaccinated just for me hasn't been a need to be. Though that's my choice if my situation was different and I was at risk I'd be getting it.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Snowfall Warning – Southern Ontario

Issued at 09:57am Sunday 16 January 2022

Significant snowfall beginning tonight.

What: Total snowfall amounts of 6 to 8 inches with locally higher amounts of 1 foot possible.
Snow, at times heavy, with peak snowfall rates of 1 to 2 inches per hour possible which could significantly reduce visibilities. Local blowing snow at times due to winds gusting up to 40mp/h.

When: Tonight through Monday evening.

Discussion: A low pressure system tracking south of the Great Lakes will bring significant snowfall to the region. Heavy snow will likely significantly impact the Monday morning commute. Local blowing snow is also possible Monday afternoon and evening with gusty northerly to northwesterly winds.

Rapidly accumulating snow will make travel difficult. Visibility may be suddenly reduced at times in heavy snow. There may be a significant impact on rush hour traffic in urban areas.
Will you be having a snow day?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread