THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucking out and finding a rare ring that made headline news does not make you an expert in metal detecting.... OR anything else for that matter.
Personally ... i think the guy is a nice enough guy and all... but as far as detecting "expertise" goes... he is WAY down on the list in knowledge and experience.

MOST veteran detectorists would be better suited for the Hoax show for really SERIOUS detecting that show... and they would know what they dug immediately upon digging it... and not call the items what they are not... so matter of factly.

IOW's... MOST veteran detectorists are more of an "expert metal detectorist" than he is.
I do not think he fits that title in the least the show and others have bestowed upon him.
Glorified scripting at best.

No offense Gary... but you know as well as i know that title "fell in your lap"... and i don't blame you for "running with it"... most would... heh

Winging it is one thing... acting like it is another... and being it is a completely different thing altogether.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have done that before, the cutting the mold off. It still has a funny taste. I can remember when a kid, we ate it, whatever it was. Even mayo with yellow crusty edges. There were no dates. Mom would clean the fridge once or twice a year, only because of the ice buildup. Defrosting the fridge. Don’t miss that!
My freezer below the fridge isn't quite frost free. It does melt the frost which accumulates on it's floor and refreeezes.
I pound on the ice on the floor of it with a fist till it fractures and a bowl can be filled to get rid of the ice.
Gotta be careful not to hit a sharp spot. So I bleed on about every third ice removal.
Maybe someday I'll break the floor and have a reason to buy a frost free...

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My above opinion / post is all the evidence I ever needed to know that the Oak show is scripted...
OR run by complete ???
and a result of "Success through BS".
A formal camera for profit gets involved , one may suspect a script.
All the money behind it wants high ratings. That is success to them.
Highjinx results. As the mass of the public watching a somber detectorist at work on t.v. might fall asleep. And not tune in next week for , TREASURE! Well , there must be treasure here somewhere. Maybe next week. Or the one after. Meanwhile here's our outlandish evidence our characters are on the right track /tract/tack.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was referring to the style of having someone else cut the plug so he can retrieve the treasure. I've never seen him with a shovel in his hand.
I guess maybe I'm envious. :occasion14:
heh... i am one of those who watches someone wrenching a bolt or doing something and it bothers me that i am not doing it... :)

Sheesh someone digging a hole for me sounds good... but I know it would drive me crazy.

:P

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Good morning everyone
Mornin Evan!
Freezing here.
Lows in the lower teens forecasted for the end of the week.
Could I snap my fingers and be there , Cali's clime sounds good sometimes.
Been a long time ; but sure enjoyed mornings by the ocean in San Diago on a visit.
Cost of living was outrageous though compared to the Midwest. (!)

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
German-Floyd-Exhibit.jpg