There is a huge difference between a dedicated "treasure hunter" and a "metal detectorist". These differences are subtle to most people, and many detectorists are mistaken when they consider themselves to be a treasure hunter. Only the committed treasure hunter can easily spot these differences. As a detectorist there will always be a limited crowd and audience that is actually interested in the subtle differences and attributes of the different machines. Frankly a true treasure hunter has very little use for videos regarding depth, tones, numbers, and differences of an inch or 2 in depth. They are all just tools of the treasure hunting trade. And for a treasure hunter just one of the many tools in the bag. You see there are people who think you can't treasure hunt unless your detecting. The guys who do these test gardens, and need to have the newest detector as soon as it comes out are detectorist not treasure hunters....treasure hunters don't care which brand there using, they just need any Machine when the time or circumstance presents itself !! I may scout sites for weeks waiting for proper conditions to detect for treasure. In the meantime I'm treasure hunting for all sorts of treasure.....from ambergris and square groupers, to treasure coins and black glass. I might walk away from a treasure hunt with sea glass, sea beans, and old bottles, or a treasure coin, gold jewelry, or even some teak wood, or fishing tackle. The point is.....people are looking for the adventure and story of the hunt.....there is only a limited audience for comparison videos, and I'll be honest....out of all calabashes videos, it was the ones where he was actually hunting that I could watch till the end....I don't think I actually watched an entire comparison video ? I often wondered how he could have so many subscribers.....turns out 8000 were just bots, and that it cost him 1000$ to get them !! I think in the video he states that only 21 subscribers actually followed his newest channel, or site ?
I don't follow or watch any of the popular treasure hunting channels.....I'd rather be out there doing it....thats why I have backed off the social media also....TIME....you will only see me posting on the weekends now....this gives me more time for real life !! Yes....I continue on the Hollywood journey, but this is very different from creating content on YouTube every week by yourself.....that is grueling, and if your not supported by others, and have a team of experts it becomes more than work.....I've never been in that position, but having coyote Peterson as a friend has been an eye opener to the dedication and hard work that it takes to be successful on youtube.....I found out quickly that the dedication needed to be successful on that platform is impossible for me to maintain unless I was already independently wealthy !! I think Calabash will have far less stress and headaches, and a bunch of great hunts, and some old fashion treasure hunts !! I wish him all the best, and hope he embraces t-net again and posts some finds up !!
From gleaming/the forums for 4+years, then joining the forums 16 yrs ago I've read a lot of posts.
Learnt a vast amount of different subject matter that has expanded my own thoughts, views, knowledge on things.
Life vs reality=balance between the 2 is a challenge.
Certainly these past few years has changed in the amount of folks that have started posting up video content.
Some post a hunt up on the forum, in video format, and request the "hit the like/subscribe button".
Not even bothering to show a recovery, some throwing up a "click bait" title for more viewing.
I saw the amount of subscribers vs views = the math wasn't there.
This has been a repeated process for many videos on many subjects.
I enjoy the non-hype videos, so X the music, X the driving pre/post site, just a short intro of what type of site might be there. (There's a term that is used by many older folks "Nothing but a Show Boat")
That term can apply to a lot of content makers really, the need to perform.
The world is basically made up of sayers and doers.
If I had a few more zeros on the asset balance sheet, doing a video(for YouTube) would be at the very bottom of the list of things I would want to do.
Probably I would fulfill a long want is to have a small portable screening plant, excavator.
I would lease a section of a field(Iron patch), dig, screen, recover, refill, remove debris. (stone would be taken or left it would be up to land owner)
I might do a few short video somethings for my own viewing pleasure, or to explain a process.
Pictures would be taken of recoveries.
Making a livable amount of $$$ off doing videos is a pipe dream of many, just as winning the lottery.
Granted a few do it-many just spend the $$$ without getting much in return except less $$$ in the pocket at the end of the month.
If it fulfills a need to be out there in the world's eye then fill the boots I say.
I guess it's not my need as I don't need the fame nor the need for $$$ to live.
But I will stick to the belief that there's no short cuts in this world it seems.
One has to put the time in regardless to succeed in what they're trying to achieve.