THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Morning everyone:hello::coffee2:

I guess i should throw some thought into getting the Tundra out of the field today before another batch of rain hits.
Got another 1/4" last night but I think it must of been the 1"+ the night before that made it a tad soft.
Like dah-who would of thought that?
Tractor and a 100' rope maybe.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Morning everyone:hello::coffee2:

I guess i should throw some thought into getting the Tundra out of the field today before another batch of rain hits.
Got another 1/4" last night but I think it must of been the 1"+ the night before that made it a tad soft.
Like dah-who would of thought that?
Tractor and a 100' rope maybe.
Buy a cheap winch at Harbor Frieght if there is on near you. Hook it to your tractor.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good morning everyone. The surf is flat this morning. :coffee2:
Screenshot_20240316_074218_Chrome.jpg

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw the video last week on another forum.
Was told of the bashing that he was getting on there.
Many of them play on this and other forums as well.
CB said it well in the video, and at least I believe it was from a sincere heart felt response to all.
Truly it tells of the commitment that the man put out to be out there
Personally it should be watched by everyone who has been dreaming of doing videos.
I take a photo, good enough for me.
Doing a post, that's really stepping up.

The time spent vs income made vs stress of doing them, editing, then getting shit on-$$$ keep it.

I go to detect to forget the world-not to invite it into my special place.

Though I sincerely wish Calabash all the best in what he does next. I really hope it's for himself and family.
There is a huge difference between a dedicated "treasure hunter" and a "metal detectorist". These differences are subtle to most people, and many detectorists are mistaken when they consider themselves to be a treasure hunter. Only the committed treasure hunter can easily spot these differences. As a detectorist there will always be a limited crowd and audience that is actually interested in the subtle differences and attributes of the different machines. Frankly a true treasure hunter has very little use for videos regarding depth, tones, numbers, and differences of an inch or 2 in depth. They are all just tools of the treasure hunting trade. And for a treasure hunter just one of the many tools in the bag. You see there are people who think you can't treasure hunt unless your detecting. The guys who do these test gardens, and need to have the newest detector as soon as it comes out are detectorist not treasure hunters....treasure hunters don't care which brand there using, they just need any Machine when the time or circumstance presents itself !! I may scout sites for weeks waiting for proper conditions to detect for treasure. In the meantime I'm treasure hunting for all sorts of treasure.....from ambergris and square groupers, to treasure coins and black glass. I might walk away from a treasure hunt with sea glass, sea beans, and old bottles, or a treasure coin, gold jewelry, or even some teak wood, or fishing tackle. The point is.....people are looking for the adventure and story of the hunt.....there is only a limited audience for comparison videos, and I'll be honest....out of all calabashes videos, it was the ones where he was actually hunting that I could watch till the end....I don't think I actually watched an entire comparison video ? I often wondered how he could have so many subscribers.....turns out 8000 were just bots, and that it cost him 1000$ to get them !! I think in the video he states that only 21 subscribers actually followed his newest channel, or site ?

I don't follow or watch any of the popular treasure hunting channels.....I'd rather be out there doing it....thats why I have backed off the social media also....TIME....you will only see me posting on the weekends now....this gives me more time for real life !! Yes....I continue on the Hollywood journey, but this is very different from creating content on YouTube every week by yourself.....that is grueling, and if your not supported by others, and have a team of experts it becomes more than work.....I've never been in that position, but having coyote Peterson as a friend has been an eye opener to the dedication and hard work that it takes to be successful on youtube.....I found out quickly that the dedication needed to be successful on that platform is impossible for me to maintain unless I was already independently wealthy !! I think Calabash will have far less stress and headaches, and a bunch of great hunts, and some old fashion treasure hunts !! I wish him all the best, and hope he embraces t-net again and posts some finds up !!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is a huge difference between a dedicated "treasure hunter" and a "metal detectorist". These differences are subtle to most people, and many detectorists are mistaken when they consider themselves to be a treasure hunter. Only the committed treasure hunter can easily spot these differences. As a detectorist there will always be a limited crowd and audience that is actually interested in the subtle differences and attributes of the different machines. Frankly a true treasure hunter has very little use for videos regarding depth, tones, numbers, and differences of an inch or 2 in depth. They are all just tools of the treasure hunting trade. And for a treasure hunter just one of the many tools in the bag. You see there are people who think you can't treasure hunt unless your detecting. The guys who do these test gardens, and need to have the newest detector as soon as it comes out are detectorist not treasure hunters....treasure hunters don't care which brand there using, they just need any Machine when the time or circumstance presents itself !! I may scout sites for weeks waiting for proper conditions to detect for treasure. In the meantime I'm treasure hunting for all sorts of treasure.....from ambergris and square groupers, to treasure coins and black glass. I might walk away from a treasure hunt with sea glass, sea beans, and old bottles, or a treasure coin, gold jewelry, or even some teak wood, or fishing tackle. The point is.....people are looking for the adventure and story of the hunt.....there is only a limited audience for comparison videos, and I'll be honest....out of all calabashes videos, it was the ones where he was actually hunting that I could watch till the end....I don't think I actually watched an entire comparison video ? I often wondered how he could have so many subscribers.....turns out 8000 were just bots, and that it cost him 1000$ to get them !! I think in the video he states that only 21 subscribers actually followed his newest channel, or site ?

I don't follow or watch any of the popular treasure hunting channels.....I'd rather be out there doing it....thats why I have backed off the social media also....TIME....you will only see me posting on the weekends now....this gives me more time for real life !! Yes....I continue on the Hollywood journey, but this is very different from creating content on YouTube every week by yourself.....that is grueling, and if your not supported by others, and have a team of experts it becomes more than work.....I've never been in that position, but having coyote Peterson as a friend has been an eye opener to the dedication and hard work that it takes to be successful on youtube.....I found out quickly that the dedication needed to be successful on that platform is impossible for me to maintain unless I was already independently wealthy !! I think Calabash will have far less stress and headaches, and a bunch of great hunts, and some old fashion treasure hunts !! I wish him all the best, and hope he embraces t-net again and posts some finds up !!
From gleaming/the forums for 4+years, then joining the forums 16 yrs ago I've read a lot of posts.
Learnt a vast amount of different subject matter that has expanded my own thoughts, views, knowledge on things.
Life vs reality=balance between the 2 is a challenge.

Certainly these past few years has changed in the amount of folks that have started posting up video content.
Some post a hunt up on the forum, in video format, and request the "hit the like/subscribe button".
Not even bothering to show a recovery, some throwing up a "click bait" title for more viewing.

I saw the amount of subscribers vs views = the math wasn't there.
This has been a repeated process for many videos on many subjects.
I enjoy the non-hype videos, so X the music, X the driving pre/post site, just a short intro of what type of site might be there. (There's a term that is used by many older folks "Nothing but a Show Boat")
That term can apply to a lot of content makers really, the need to perform.

The world is basically made up of sayers and doers.

If I had a few more zeros on the asset balance sheet, doing a video(for YouTube) would be at the very bottom of the list of things I would want to do.
Probably I would fulfill a long want is to have a small portable screening plant, excavator.
I would lease a section of a field(Iron patch), dig, screen, recover, refill, remove debris. (stone would be taken or left it would be up to land owner)
I might do a few short video somethings for my own viewing pleasure, or to explain a process.
Pictures would be taken of recoveries.

Making a livable amount of $$$ off doing videos is a pipe dream of many, just as winning the lottery.
Granted a few do it-many just spend the $$$ without getting much in return except less $$$ in the pocket at the end of the month.
If it fulfills a need to be out there in the world's eye then fill the boots I say.
I guess it's not my need as I don't need the fame nor the need for $$$ to live.

But I will stick to the belief that there's no short cuts in this world it seems.
One has to put the time in regardless to succeed in what they're trying to achieve.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mornin all.

Too much promotion can let the Genie out of a soul and then the subject isn't who they were any more. And thier passion altered along the way.

Detecting and or treasure hunting instruction or how to or just showing encourages newbies.
A good thing, till it's not. Manhole size pieces of sod left loose and standing proud and some off position as well in a park.
I don't mind new folk! But by golly there I was around those outrageous prior digs.
Holding a detector. No longer feeling like I blended in and wasn't bothering anyone.
Nice flattened rusted can laying loose under one manhole sized sod piece seemed to confirm my suspicions.
So I did some work. After securing a few manhole covers I split.
Shortly after hunting another park I neared the municipal building on one side. Oh boy. Sod seriously mangled. In sight of those running the village.
I had a suspect.
No admission of guilt when approached but it might have ended his detecting. (Not my goal or intent.) Annd we still cross paths as a neighbor is his parent..
Guess I won't be doing detecting videos.

Treasure hunting?
I could film a year or two and edit it down to a few minutes.
The rest would be a pile of old articles and a few interviews o quickly suspicious subjects sometimes. Most taking up no more than a single recipe card in the plastic box of leads.
Outside of that it's opportunistic savaging like racoon. And the majority of activity. No one needs a video how to of that.
Ans when I see something manipulated that could have been left alone ....Then not blended back.
I know it's better more of it doesn't go on.

I used to hunt morel mushrooms big time. They can be sold bartered and preserved or all off those things.
Adding people to a site was never a good thing for the morels. Let alone me.
Video adding traffic I'd be annoyed at.
Here's toilet paper in the woods in an area of prior good hunting. Seriously? First , why on potential food? And secondly , why leave evidence?
Just like beer cans and litter. Why not just post a sign , "pick here!" and give out free maps too?

Regular trout season opens in April.
My idea of trout means take a brace to eat. But don't pound a site till you don't catch a fish. Or worse , no fish exist till a storm or something (like a season of time) shuffles the deck.
But an outdoor writer( pre you tube) in an outdoor magazine mentioned a skinny water near my home I banked on.
Then another mentioned it.
THE CIRCUS THAT FOLLOWED RUINED IT FROM THAT SEASON FORWARD!
I'd have felt like crap having a hand in that.
A forum I'm on has unmentionables in fishing reports. They simply can's sustain stampedes if someone has a good experience and reports it.
And folks making vids and promoting them? Well they ain't Bart's! And are usually nails on a chalkboard to me.

Someone not impressed with posting vids on youtube? Oh I can believe that.
But it's not getting lost or losing too much "self" that matters to me watching.
I've considered a camera. But know I'd be blowing out spots without trying.
There's enough poor quality vids of close up of the ground or edited water sites. And some still get i.d.'d too easy.
Ya it's tough.
Reading comments on most any content allowing them , shows the negatives Calabash mentions. He's right to forewarn about it. A presenter has to deal with it one way or another.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Buy a cheap winch at Harbor Frieght if there is on near you. Hook it to your tractor.
We don't have the Harbor Freight up here.
It's a version called Princess Auto SSDStore.
I have a 5 ton KEEPER winch on the front of the Ford 5000.
2ton Warner on the front of the side-by-side.
It wouldn't pull a 3 ton Tundra and the 14' car hauler out.
So the 5000 was backed up to the 100' 1 inch rope, pulled the truck an trailer back 40ft.
Now a little road trip to knock the mud out of the winters.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
We don't have the Harbor Freight up here.
It's a version called Princess Auto SSDStore.
I have a 5 ton KEEPER winch on the front of the Ford 5000.
2ton Warner on the front of the side-by-side.
It wouldn't pull a 3 ton Tundra and the 14' car hauler out.
So the 5000 was backed up to the 100' 1 inch rope, pulled the truck an trailer back 40ft.
Now a little road trip to knock the mud out of the winters.
If you didn't get so antsy in spring and just have to get out there and get stuck....
:laughing7:
(If someone hasn't done it at least once, there're not there to do it!)

Sometimes , it's too wet still.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you didn't get so antsy in spring and just have to get out there and get stuck....
:laughing7:
(If someone hasn't done it at least once, there're not there to do it!)

Sometimes , it's too wet still.

Really a tad wet and muddy in that field.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The weather was good, the digging well under your expectations.
The last one is a token of sorts, the back (the darker area) there's a circle line from 2-4:30.
The darker part either a figure of some sorts.
(Snake like)
Still the day was OK, great to see you get out.
Gardens-You can get help for such thoughts you know.🤣

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread