What's new

THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Good morning everyone. Yesterday was animal rescue day. First we had a male cardinal knock himself silly on one of the windows. I could see him laying on the ground upside down, so went out to see if he could be helped. He was not happy at all about the dogs being with me, but he let me pick him up and move him out of the sun. I put him in a flower bed in the shade. I came to check later and he had moved to a different flower bed nearby. Later still, I checked again and he was gone, so I presume he came out of it and flew away. There isn't anything out there that would have taken him at that time of day from under the trees where he was.

Then last night we found a little mouse stranded in the bathtub -- he had fallen in and wasn't quite able to jump out. We haven't had a mouse in the house in years. We watched him jumping around for a minute but then he just sat under the faucet and looked at us. My wife trapped it under a mug and I took it way out back and let it go in a brush pile. He fared much better than most mice I encounter.
 
Good morning everyone. Yesterday was animal rescue day. First we had a male cardinal knock himself silly on one of the windows. I could see him laying on the ground upside down, so went out to see if he could be helped. He was not happy at all about the dogs being with me, but he let me pick him up and move him out of the sun. I put him in a flower bed in the shade. I came to check later and he had moved to a different flower bed nearby. Later still, I checked again and he was gone, so I presume he came out of it and flew away. There isn't anything out there that would have taken him at that time of day from under the trees where he was.

Then last night we found a little mouse stranded in the bathtub -- he had fallen in and wasn't quite able to jump out. We haven't had a mouse in the house in years. We watched him jumping around for a minute but then he just sat under the faucet and looked at us. My wife trapped it under a mug and I took it way out back and let it go in a brush pile. He fared much better than most mice I encounter.
Nice save on the Cardinal.

I have rescued many birds that have hit the windows. (Even with the decal silhouettes)

It seems if I dip their beaks in water it snaps them out of shock.
Usually after awhile they fly off again like nothing happened.
 
Holy smokes, now that's a new one on me! Wild gardening up there!
It's a first for me that's for sure. I've put chicken wire protection over nests before to help save the eggs from raccoons.
We have a couple of Black Rat nesting boxes on the property also.
I have one in the garden this year, and have noticed the Vole population has decreased.
Might be the Red Tailed hawk also that has found its easy pickings.
 
:coffee2: :sunny:
20250624_090815.webp
Good morning everyone. These are pop up flowers in my side yard. I never planted them. Once they go to seed I'll thin them way back. They'll take over an entire yard if you don't. Very drought & saltwater resistant.
 
:coffee2: :sunny: View attachment 2214421Good morning everyone. These are pop up flowers in my side yard. I never planted them. Once they go to seed I'll thin them way back. They'll take over an entire yard if you don't. Very drought & saltwater resistant.
I planted blanket flower seeds in my prairie patch the fall before last. I don’t have a single flower. My soil is rich black loess 2’ thick. Native prairie plants love it but the blanket flowers love sand and I have none!😩
 
I planted blanket flower seeds in my prairie patch the fall before last. I don’t have a single flower. My soil is rich black loess 2’ thick. Native prairie plants love it but the blanket flowers love sand and I have none!😩
Mine are growing in Coquina sand.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

  • Back
    Top Bottom