The word “buttload,” often used colloquially to mean “a large amount,” actually has roots in old English wine measurement systems.
A “butt” was a real unit used to measure large quantities of liquid, especially wine or ale, during medieval times and into the early modern era.
One butt equals two hogsheads, and each hogshead typically holds 63 gallons (in the imperial system), making a butt exactly 126 gallons.
This unit was most commonly used in England and parts of Europe, especially in reference to shipping and storing wine, beer, and other liquids in wooden casks or barrels.
These massive barrels were known as butts (yes, that’s the actual term), and they often appeared in old taverns and ships’ cargo.
Today, the term survives mostly as slang or humor — “a buttload of something” — but it does in fact originate from a formal measurement that once held legal and commercial significance.
View attachment 2225660
OK. How much is a "shitload" ?
View attachment 2225661
[There will be a show tonight on trampoline
The Hendersons will all be there
Late of Pablo Fanque's Fair, what a scene
Over men and horses, hoops and garters
Lastly through a hogshead of real fire
In this way, Mr. K. will challenge the world]
Good morning everyone, I caught some crud I think on the flight back home from Seattle. Aching all over & my throat feels like I'm trying to swallow broken glass. Yuck! I haven't been sick in years.








