What's new

THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

When filming for The Dukes of Hazzard ended in 1984, Warner Bros kept the remaining General Lees on their property. The General Lees and related car parts were still collecting dust when Wayne Wooten, a Dukes of Hazzard fan and Dodge Charger enthusiast, contacted Warner Bros in 1988.
Wayne was the founder of the Dodge Charger Registry, and his mission was to collect and preserve as much detail about Dodge Chargers as possible. He had sent a letter to Warner Bros inquiring about their Charger records without really expecting a reply.
Warner Bros gave Wayne a response that was beyond all expectation. After getting more info from Wayne about his organization, they invited him out to the studio to see the "parts" they had available.
Wayne received a VIP studio tour. Afterwards, he was offered piles of surplus Charger parts at no cost. Delighted, Wayne began filling up a truck. But there was more to come.
The next day, the Warner Bros transportation chief surprised Wayne with the sight of 17 intact General Lees. Wayne was speechless, and his shock deepened when he was basically offered these cars to re-home as he saw fit.
There were legalities to sort out and studio stipulations. Foremost among these, was the requirement that the new owners never collected money for the public display of these cars. In return, WB would provide certificates of authenticity for the screen-used Generals, giving these surviving cars a priceless pedigree.
Finally, in 1991, all the legalities were in place, and the General Lees were distributed to new owners. For himself, Wayne obtained a “hero” General Lee that had been used for filming close-ups.
Wayne Wooten gets well-deserved credit for seeking out the story of the Dukes of Hazzard Dodge Chargers. He never imagined it would turn into a dream come true!
Credit must also go to the WB transportation chief and studio brass who kept these cars until the right person came along. In the end, it was proof that some folks at Warner Bros truly cared about the legacy of The Dukes of Hazzard.


View attachment 2230793
Back in '78 I blew the engine on my factory orange R/T Charger. While it was sitting in the local shops yard waiting for me to come up with funds for a rebuild, I was contacted by a Warner studio rep that wanted to buy mine for the show. I just couldn't come up with the funds and the shop was going to start charging me to keep it there, so I sold it to the studio for $2800.
Mine is probably one of those pictured.
 
About $40 in my money. Few yrs ago would have been around $10.
That was about 2 1/2 hrs detecting. Flies drove me mad and I threw it in. Had a fly net on but they were still all over it in my vision buzzing around. I can't stand them like that.
I can’t imagine flies all over I hate them to. Florida has gnats which fly on the face. You actually get used to them but once in a while they get in your eyes
 
I can’t imagine flies all over I hate them to. Florida has gnats which fly on the face. You actually get used to them but once in a while they get in your eyes
Thankfully in town they are not nearly as bad but you just have to go into the bush and they're nuts. Filthy things. Driving home its open all the windows for fifteen minutes to get them out. Do the gnats bite at all?
 
3f81d638-71e6-4dc0-8dc5-57e1d86a6f5a-1067698149.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom