What's new

THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Ok. Trying to decipher this one, bit like an ancient stone tablet but ill take a crack at it.
Your going to the dentist for a new tooth.
You are taking a sample from a deer.
Then to a library that has a 3D printer with a sample.
Then UPS will pick it up and.....?
Why do you want a deer tooth!?
Chronic Wasting Disease testing.

Tissue samples are lymph nodes.

I have no printer. Therefor I go to library and use theirs to fill out required form that has to be printed to add to kit with sample enclosed with a frozen cold pack for overnight shipping. Shipping is to a laboratory that does the testing. If the sample tests positive I discard my hard work of putting the deer in my freezer. Including the not so hard on my end of the labor ten pounds of bratwurst I had a shop blend and make for me from several pounds of it.

Certain deer teeth can be used to age deer by yee olde cementum method. A cross section is sliced , dye added and rings counted. Like tree rings in a cross section.
The conservation office took a tooth from a very old deer I brought to a check station one time for that purpose. The results were " Inconclusive." Which failed to impress me.
Here's to hoping the C.W.D. testing works better.

Yesterdays schedule involved a non related dental visit to next weeks. But itis still related.

Next week I visit the dental implant place for an x-ray of the implant placed months ago and either approval to put a fake tooth on it or not.
Another implant the bone didn't take good too and the side of my upper jaw was opened up and that side and scraped and worked until a stone might have adhered just to avoid such abuse again.

I didn't make it to the library yesterday.
Besides the confirmation # of the registered deer.(The actual registration #) the form requires the actual (of multiple acquired) license #. Which was attached to the deer upon reducing it to possession but can be discarded after deer is processed. I "think" it is in the pole barn.
Having shoveling to do still closer than at the distant barn ; I elected to not go on an Easter egg hunt for the kill tag.

Are ya with me so far?
 
Mornin all.
Around 20 degrees F.
Calm morning out. Wind will come up for a couple or more days though.
Chickadee working feeders. Cold wind will reduce sightings of them to zero usually.
A Titmouse or two travels in the bird gang. (Hey I didn't name the species.) I haven't noticed the "snow birds" but they could be on the feeder out back.
A flicker working the suet out front. As many flickers over time I've seen focused on ants ; I had suspected they migrated in winter. Apparently not so. At least with this one.
 
Good morning everybody

Well the ski slopes still had snow but there was enough open ground to swing.View attachment 2237327View attachment 2237328I still did pretty good. Got the silver quarter early on and just clad. I didn’t want my buddy getting skunked because he drove so I was trying to find him a high signal. I finally found one and he dug Washington too. One minute later that ass dug up a Walker half.😡. lol He offered me the quarter back but I declined. I ended getting a mercury dime and a war nickel to add with my quarter. View attachment 2237329My findsView attachment 2237330his finds
Outstanding hunt, congrats!
 
Morning all…. Good to read the chats among you Goonies from time to time… And yes our world getting crazier by the day. I feel the governments need to help reopen and fund psychiatric hospitals more, (not knowing about other countries). I remember seeing them when I was younger, but all eventually closing. They couldn’t be funded anymore. The root to all these killings are the insane behind the weapons, agreed? Except in war no one in their right mind will voluntarily shoot another human without some form of insanity.
Prayers for all those victim’s families
 
On a lighter note, got in some kayak fishing last week…
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2267.webp
    IMG_2267.webp
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2263.webp
    IMG_2263.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
Chronic Wasting Disease testing.

Tissue samples are lymph nodes.

I have no printer. Therefor I go to library and use theirs to fill out required form that has to be printed to add to kit with sample enclosed with a frozen cold pack for overnight shipping. Shipping is to a laboratory that does the testing. If the sample tests positive I discard my hard work of putting the deer in my freezer. Including the not so hard on my end of the labor ten pounds of bratwurst I had a shop blend and make for me from several pounds of it.

Certain deer teeth can be used to age deer by yee olde cementum method. A cross section is sliced , dye added and rings counted. Like tree rings in a cross section.
The conservation office took a tooth from a very old deer I brought to a check station one time for that purpose. The results were " Inconclusive." Which failed to impress me.
Here's to hoping the C.W.D. testing works better.

Yesterdays schedule involved a non related dental visit to next weeks. But itis still related.

Next week I visit the dental implant place for an x-ray of the implant placed months ago and either approval to put a fake tooth on it or not.
Another implant the bone didn't take good too and the side of my upper jaw was opened up and that side and scraped and worked until a stone might have adhered just to avoid such abuse again.

I didn't make it to the library yesterday.
Besides the confirmation # of the registered deer.(The actual registration #) the form requires the actual (of multiple acquired) license #. Which was attached to the deer upon reducing it to possession but can be discarded after deer is processed. I "think" it is in the pole barn.
Having shoveling to do still closer than at the distant barn ; I elected to not go on an Easter egg hunt for the kill tag.

Are ya with me so far?
So you test each deer you kill for disease?
 
So you test each deer you kill for disease?

Where I hunt was/is a hotspot township with high incidence rates when C.W.D. was "found" early in the states awareness of having it.

I have messed up on a couple ; but most of my kills since C.W.D. was "discovered" in the area have been tested.
( Her royal indoors does not approve of untested deer and deer by products around.)

Being a hotspot the state still pays for the lab work IF I get the right hoops jumped through.. Which helps the states response plan which states are obliged to have. But helps me too by the reduced cost.
In addition multiple samples can be shipped together. Which is why I'm shipping them tonight in stead of when samples were extracted and frozen. ( Having now concluded I'm done for the year. Unlike one of the years I messed up and testing was finished at the lab before I was ready to mail in samples post season. :icon_scratch:)
 
Taking pictures yesterday and noticed a bigger than usual bee on a sunflower. Its eyes are not rounded like the others that are around several flat edges to them.
Any idea what type? Searches haven't shown me anything similar eye wise.
IMG_20251216_084306993~2.webp
 
Morning all…. Good to read the chats among you Goonies from time to time… And yes our world getting crazier by the day. I feel the governments need to help reopen and fund psychiatric hospitals more, (not knowing about other countries). I remember seeing them when I was younger, but all eventually closing. They couldn’t be funded anymore. The root to all these killings are the insane behind the weapons, agreed? Except in war no one in their right mind will voluntarily shoot another human without some form of insanity.
Prayers for all those victim’s families
There's a whole world of anger and hate out there these days isn't there. It's like the entire world has become an insane asylum. 🫤
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom