THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Morning GB, Duckshot, ECS, RTR, RR and ARC

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres a novel idea for the holidays.On one of our cruise's we had what they called a "standing Ship roast" of beef. So I decided to do the same thing with a whole(bone in) hindquarter of venison.....
Anyhow, the final product is hung from the kitchen ceiling w/a 8" meat hook over an island(w/drip pan underneath),and kept warm by 2 heat lamps.Then your dinner guests come up to the island & cut their own. Big hit !!!People loved it !!!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pardon me while I eat something !!

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I helped a friend rebuild a glass and plastic runabout back when I was about 25 years old. It was a Kildonian Canoe Craft Vanguard from the '60's which he was given by his grandfather who won it in a raffle. 40hp Johnson with the ignition in a shoe box thing on the starboard side forward of the transom. The engine had low hours and ran like a clock, but the floor, stringers, and transom were completely rotted out. Cut out everthing that used to be wood and glassed in new wood with roving and epoxy.

Cool little boat. My friend got married and moved away, haven't seen him in 20 years, but I'd bet the farm he still has that boat. And if he does, it is tip-top.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You got a boat? I like boats. Tell us about it.

Bought a 02 Seaark 1652, 50 HP merc, stumpjumper, lowrance chirp 5 on the front, Garmin 4 on the console. 55 pound thrust Minn Kota max trolling motor. Camo boat, not going to camo the merc. Trim front and REAR controls. Just put a floor in it ( That's what I've been working on ) Great boat for getting back in the shallows. 90 gauge aluminum. Can't open it up. It China walks more than I like wide open but that's fine with me because I know I've got plenty of power. Plan on fishing out of it a couple of years and like I always do sell it after fixing it up. Wish I'd never sold my old 374V Ranger Anniversary. That was a great boat. That's about it. Just something to work on and stay busy. Always looking for a good buy to fix up.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I helped a friend rebuild a glass and plastic runabout back when I was about 25 years old. It was a Kildonian Canoe Craft Vanguard from the '60's which he was given by his grandfather who won it in a raffle. 40hp Johnson with the ignition in a shoe box thing on the starboard side forward of the transom. The engine had low hours and ran like a clock, but the floor, stringers, and transom were completely rotted out. Cut out everthing that used to be wood and glassed in new wood with roving and epoxy.

Cool little boat. My friend got married and moved away, haven't seen him in 20 years, but I'd bet the farm he still has that boat. And if he does, it is tip-top.

I remember the Vanguard line. I have a friend that use to be a boat dealer here. They handled Hydro Sport ( which is not in business anymore ) Skeeter, Stratos, Alumicraft and several ski boat lines. I use to help them on Saturdays when you get the most buyers and tire kickers. They later sold the dealership and my buddy opened a boat manufacturing plant making center console fishing rigs along with offshore boats. His Line was called Norticstar. He sold the plant last year putting 80 million in his pocket.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Is it welded or riveted? Up here people desire the more expensive welded aluminum. You can crash a welded hull into the ice in the dark without rivets popping out. Probably not a problem in the south.

Its an all welded boat. You won't see many if any riveted new boats these days. No, if ice is on the water this butt is in the easy chair.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A "WHOisit"

4d36e44475918d007b4bac645ae06a3f.jpg

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DSC_0111.jpg

Hard rammed and fired bullet, from the battle of Gaines Mill, Virginia.

DSC_0114.jpg

1.49 In. canister ball, fired from a twelve pounder gun, found on Paynes Farm, battle of Mine Run, Virginia in 1961. There were only a couple of batteries at the farm, so finding out who fired it won't be impossible.

DSC_0112.jpg

Bullets from Gettysburg, from our very own Peyton Manning. The one on the left is a special one that has me puzzled. It is a Confederate Hi-Base bullet, and it is nose cast. The recovery location is East of Gettysburg. The Confederates never made it East of Gettysburg. Perhaps this is from a Hospital site? Hm.

DSC_0115.jpg

These are relics found in 1968, near the Sunken Road (Bloody Lane) at Antietam. I can find a 1960s map of the air-view map of the lane to find out exactly where. (in a cornfield.)

01_surrender.jpg

These are relics from the George Ollinger collection of Gettysburg. These particular items were recovered in the early 20th century at the Peach Orchard in Gettysburg. I'll do more research on this particular collection, but from what I hear, it is prestigious.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So... no guesses on the "whoisit" ? ? ?