THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Good morning Bill and RR

good morning all

Good morning GB

Hello...and good morning. :hello:

Birds all revved up outside at first light. Multiple soloists going at the same time ,with distant retinue's singing back up.(due to defensive claims this time of year) .
It was a kaleidoscope of singing about the days prospects!

Another perfect morning if advertising the clime.

Maybe I should have adopted the attitude of singing hooray for another day with the birds.. Had more coffee instead.:laughing7:

Ya RC....There chirping and singing down here too !!

Good morning GB, Bart, Rc

Good morning Bart just got back from my morning walk we're having Florida type weather it's supposed to hit 95f today.....We already fired up the air....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

I have to for the furry ones in the household (I am going to be included)

Over the years I have seen what some grading services have done. Environmental damage, and the label is slapped on the coin.

Have you a good clear picture of the date?

wif,

Ok I took a look at the coin and other than the staining it appears to be in pretty good shape for the era. That said if you check the pricing on the attached link by PCGS which is pretty much the industry leader in grading.

They list a price of $80 for G4 and $250 for grade 30 which is midway between vf and ef. When they grade the coin they look at it under a high powered microscope for minor scratches, etc...which the coin would have just from being in the ground.

Also if the coin gets cleaned that would probably show up also under magnification. So you'd have the cost of cleaning, registered mail both ways and the grading fee. So even if you lucked out with the higher grade the costs would pretty much eat up most of the coin's value.

That's my humble opinion of the situation. As another option you could always take it to the local coin club for their opinion.

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/detail/capped-bust-half-dollar/120/most-active

Mornin' folks!

And thanks guys, for joining the choir of opinions. It helps. The best pictures I can do are somewhere in that Banner post.

What I think I really want to know just can't be told. At least, not by my meager attempts at pics. I did do some research on how to tell if this was a 12/11 variety. Some of that research says that there are other indicators than just seeing an obvious over stamp. Things like large 8, small 8, position of certain portions of the lettering, etc. I got so frustrated that I finally just gave up trying to understand/see.

Thought I'd give it one more try.

I think I'll just go back to simply enjoying that I have this "best coin of my life". At least, thus far.

Thanks folks!

WIF,

I was just commenting on the regular version....lol. I didn't check the large versus small 8 options. Just my addled brain playing tricks on me.....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

The 8 on yours does appear to be fatter at least to my eye. Here's a side by side comparison of the 2 varieties. Just check the picture on the right of the page.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1812-1-50c-large-8/6102

Last edited:
Aw, Heckfire! There's no apology needed! You've added to quest, thanks!

SPAMMER ! ! !

Oh its WD.

On that note... G night.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back