THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good morning, 27 above. First morning in while that temp is higher than wind speed. 27 been feeling like zero. Funny thing is that the lake ice is almost gone. Freezing wind wears ice out. It also erodes loose sand and makes arrows show up. YipYip yahowwwlll. Have a great day, hard to have bad day when planning on pickup arrowheads for me anyways.
Good luck on your hunt! Too much snow here to do much hunting of any kind. Oh well.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Noah
55 here today. Too many chores today for a hunt. My brides huntin something for me right.:laughing9:now

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Noah
55 here today. Too many chores today for a hunt. My brides huntin something for me right.:laughing9:now
It's like 20 something here. The thing I don't like about NE Ohio is that it gets cold enough to make everyday chores and driving much harder but it doesn't usually stay cold enough for ice fishing, hockey or other fun winter things. I complain about the cold all the time but if the opportunity ever arises I'm moving North!

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Morning AC, Noah
Oh the time zones AC then again no worm for those that get up late.
How can we see the ground Noah, when it's so white out.
Great news though we're past the dead of winter now, crawling slowly to the ledge of spring.

Albertaclipper

Feb 27, 2012
Central Alberta, Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's like 20 something here. The thing I don't like about NE Ohio is that it gets cold enough to make everyday chores and driving much harder but it doesn't usually stay cold enough for ice fishing, hockey or other fun winter things. I complain about the cold all the time but if the opportunity ever arises I'm moving North!

How far north? lol

I live in Central Alberta, West of Red Deer. I live one hour outside of the Rocky Mountains. This winter here has been non-existent so far. It is currently 20 here as well. The average January temps up here are usually around 0 to 1 degree daily (not including the windchill). Currently we have about a foot of snow (had more, but lots of melting this year). Saying that, we should have about 3 feet of snow by now.....
I ice-fish all the time, saying that, the lakes here are averaging 16 inches to 18 inches thick of ice cover, (should be around 20 inches or more by now), makes me very leery driving on them.

I will say though, in the mountains, there is a sh$t-tonne of snow. Down low there is 4 to 8 feet, up high, up to 13 feet of snow. A lot of my friends are there every weekend sledding (using $20,000 ski-doos). Its cheaper to go ice fishing :laughing7:

p.s. I typed the temps in Farenheit for you :laughing7:

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Morning AC, Noah
Oh the time zones AC then again no worm for those that get up late.
How can we see the ground Noah, when it's so white out.
Great news though we're past the dead of winter now, crawling slowly to the ledge of spring.
Yes! Very slowly... exactly two months until the beginning of spring!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Antiquarian
Cute puppy you have there is it a toy,or mini toy ?

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How far north? lol

I live in Central Alberta, West of Red Deer. I live one hour outside of the Rocky Mountains. This winter here has been non-existent so far. It is currently 20 here as well. The average January temps up here are usually around 0 to 1 degree daily (not including the windchill). Currently we have about a foot of snow (had more, but lots of melting this year). Saying that, we should have about 3 feet of snow by now.....
I ice-fish all the time, saying that, the lakes here are averaging 16 inches to 18 inches thick of ice cover, (should be around 20 inches or more by now), makes me very leery driving on them.

I will say though, in the mountains, there is a sh$t-tonne of snow. Down low there is 4 to 8 feet, up high, up to 13 feet of snow. A lot of my friends are there every weekend sledding (using $20,000 ski-doos). Its cheaper to go ice fishing :laughing7:

p.s. I typed the temps in Farenheit for you :laughing7:
Like somewhere North enough that it doesn't get into the 90s on warm summer days... ugh. I thought Ohio was a pretty hot state until I visited Phoenix, Arizona a few years ago in the middle of summer. You have no idea how happy I was to come home to that cool, humid, Ohio air.

I'm thinking Alaska, but maybe Maine or someplace in Canada will do. :laughing7:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Albertaclipper,

Those time zones are a pain when I was working in marketing & sales at the CPR in Montreal near the end of my career my team mates were all based in Calgary.

They'd schedule our Friday weekly conference call at 11a.m. Montreal time and it would go on and on forever.

One day it was like 2 p.m. or later my time. I finally got fed up and told them I'd just had toast and coffee for breakfast I'm out of here...lol.

Went to the local pub and had a hearty lunch and washed it down with a couple of beer....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Albertaclipper

Feb 27, 2012
Central Alberta, Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Albertaclipper,

Those time zones are a pain when I was working in marketing & sales at the CPR in Montreal near the end of my career my team mates were all based in Calgary.

They'd schedule our Friday weekly conference call at 11a.m. Montreal time and it would go on and on forever.

One day it was like 2 p.m. or later my time. I finally got fed up and told them I'd just had toast and coffee for breakfast I'm out of here...lol.

Went to the local pub and had a hearty lunch and washed it down with a couple of beer....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

I cannot wait for pub time again! (my wife probably can :laughing7:)

beer2.gif

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
alberta clipper,

I agree I used to go to a downtown pub on Mondays. Only went once between lock downs this summer.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I cannot wait for pub time again! (my wife probably can :laughing7:)
Oh I tried the climate out a few times in that Cow Town that had the tower. Gee I got married there once, and sobered up there 10 yrs later.
The small cities/towns from Red Deer to Pincher Creek
Lake Louise to Medicine Hat.
The hotels where one could buy 5 draft for a $1.00, then it was 4, but those small glasses what were they about.
Though I remember unloading 150 lb sacks of anchors, went toss and it grabbed me, had had my Bro pick the wild rose thorns out my rump- prickly bushes I must say.

Last edited:

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
....You all sure get/got married a lot.... Slow learners or is it me? Hahaa... Bill I boiled potatoes for that fried cheese potatoes. What is more Canadian than Joni Mitchell or the wreck of Edmond fits Gerald on the big lake they call gets a goomee? or something named like that.
My favorite Canadian invention, Coni-bear, the 330 will control any badger in there tracks.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checked and double checked,added a few more tools ,total weight now 110 pounds of stuff.Pretty much all fits into 3 buckets for the trip.Plus a 5' 20 pound pry bar :) 003.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Checked and double checked,added a few more tools ,total weight now 110 pounds of stuff.Pretty much all fits into 3 buckets for the trip.Plus a 5' 20 pound pry bar :)/QUOTE]

Did you ever consider a good pack board to carry the lighter bulky items/or the heaviest items?

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checked and double checked,added a few more tools ,total weight now 110 pounds of stuff.Pretty much all fits into 3 buckets for the trip.Plus a 5' 20 pound pry bar :)/QUOTE]

Did you ever consider a good pack board to carry the lighter bulky items/or the heaviest items?

No I should be good the 3 buckets weight 33 pounds ea, The 2 of us should be alright .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

• Latest Discussions