TN Nor Cal day in the river

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
I hope i am not offending anyone by starting this thread.
I am just started gold prospecting last year with my son. Man, did i catch a fever.
I have only been out panning 4 times. The places i have been are Bear River, Mineral Bar, Yankees Jim and Roaring Camp.
I now have a BGT and a Gold-N-Sand hand dredge that i can't wait to try out.
I would love to meet up with the people here on TN.
If one of these places would work for a Saturday group outing or if someone else knows of a good place please yell out ( no hot spots or personal spots are expected ) just a good open public spot.
Lets figure out if Jan 25th or Feb 8th works out for most , including the Bazooka crew.
Steve

Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Lookin4goaled

Jan 5, 2014
Sacramento, Ca
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250 w/ DD Coil, 30" BGT Prospector, Blue bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds good, thanks for the offer but I'll drive up there myself... See ya on sat!

Lotus Geologist

Jan 6, 2014
Lotus/Coloma, California
Detector(s) used
MXT, TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was there two weeks ago, worked my way downstream from Mineral Bar on river left... The trail peters out after about 1/4 mile at the bend for Slaughter's Sluice (name of the 1st rapid) and you will need good scrambling skills over car and house sized boulders to make it as far as Chamberlin Falls.

It's not too bad, but keep that in mind if you are lugging buckets in one hand and a sluice in the other, you will be asking for trouble and/or won't be able to lug all that gear. The same is true for the river right bank... a decent trail for less than 1/4 of a mile and then you either need to start climbing/scrambling, or get into the river up to yer wedding tackle.

Regardless, that seems to be a good area with very high fluctuations in flow. This weekend it should be around 40 cfs. Last December it was nearly 40,000 cfs. That's three orders of magnitude change in flow... Plenty to replenish some of the bars.

I will be kayaking on Saturday or I would join you.

L.G.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've got the super mini which fits in my pack and I will load what I can carry. If I find that I have to much brought too much I will just jettison some like the emigrant trail..

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
Probably about freezing at 0705 I would like to hike a ways so I might leave the pick and shovel home. Anyone is wecome to use my bgt prospector because I usually like to go hands free for bouldering.

Aufisher to go hands free for bouldering what equipment do you take with you?

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lotus Geologist Thanks for the trail info. Scrambling time again... With the high water last year hopefully we will find some good areas... Hope to get out with you sometime, maybe the South Fork.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ShineyNoob see you Saturday!

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
Doesn't sound like taking my 36" BGT, 5gal bucket, shovel and pack with pans and small stuff is going to be fesable.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMAG1166.jpg
Aufisher to go hands free for bouldering what equipment do you take with you?

Prospecting gear

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Norcalsteve My set up looks close to what Aufisher has except I will bring my BGT and I don't have gloves or kneepads. The BGT is only 24" and fits in my pack easily. I am going to bring a 5er but will trail drop that and pick it up on the return if necessary. If you can figure out how to strap the BGT and shovel on you might want to take it, just depends on how well you climb with the bulk and what your plan is for working the area. I work in the low cracks up to the waterline if necessary and may pan only, it just depends on the conditions when we get there. I will take a pic tomorrow and post it so you can see my setup.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is no trail downriver on the Colfax Side of the river. Iowa Hill Side downriver the trail is good but brief.. The Landslide area will mark the end pretty much.. Continuing to walk the bedrock is possible for a way's. Some climbing/scrambling. Though I would use Caution. Very slick in the winter.. Now also one can choose The Windy Point Trail And though you have about 600' elevation change the trail is very nice.. Also allot of offshoots lead to the river. A very nice walk to Yankee Jims actually..

PaulieNoNuggets

Dec 21, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't know the condition of it as I've not tried hiking it yet, but I noticed on Google Earth that there's a trail on the Iowa hill side of the river starting about .7 of a mile up the hill from the campground, and leading to the creek about 1 1/4 miles downstream of the bridge.
http://goo.gl/maps/e2r3Z
My apologies if it's a dead trail - don't want to send anyone on a wild goose chase and cut into your gold time :)

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't know the condition of it as I've not tried hiking it yet, but I noticed on Google Earth that there's a trail on the Iowa hill side of the river starting about .7 of a mile up the hill from the campground, and leading to the creek about 1 1/4 miles downstream of the bridge.
http://goo.gl/maps/e2r3Z
My apologies if it's a dead trail - don't want to send anyone on a wild goose chase and cut into your gold time :)
I suspect your looking at the Windy point trail

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MadMarshall Thanks! that is the info we needed to get this adventure going. We will make you proud.....

PaulieNoNuggets Thanks for the help. Even if the trail was overgrown we would bash our way down to the river.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've got more than one in my pack and when the wife finds out its going to hit the fan............

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like your going to have a great time. Wish I could come down that way but we just got back from Angels Camp and going back down again on the 30th for the frog and toad meeting in Sac. You all feel like a field trip one of these days just shout out. Would love to show some folks the northern diggins.

"Weddding Tackle", that's hilarious, never heard hat one before!

Last edited:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where is Northern?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread