Wayne County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
BH Quicksilver
BH Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I read different threads and see what machines people have I notice some members have like 5-10 metal detectors. Do you guys hang on to your old detectors because you can't get enough on re-sale or just hold on to them so you can use them later or something? I know some metal detectors are better for certain tasks but I would think you could be able to do any metal detecting IE water, saltwater, land with about 2 to 3 detectors couldn't you?

I'm just asking for the discussion, I don't think there is anything wrong or bad about having so many. Just curious to why some people keep them all. I have a fairly decent salary, i'm not rich, but comfortable. and I couldn't justify keeping so many machines. When I want a new one or better one I will probably try to sell my old one or trade it in. Again I think it is neat some of you have so many so please don't get me wrong and think I am hating on anyone. Just wondering why

edit: I forgot add also... Or are those lists of the metal detectors ones you've had and used in the past and don't necessarily own all of them atm.

Last edited:

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, guess I'll go first. I do not own 5 metal detector, but have used 5 different metal detectors. I have kept my DFX,MXT, and the AT Pro. The others I either wanted to try or just had an urge to own one. Then if I didn't like them or something else came along that I wanted to try I would trade or sell.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking just for me....I have 2 excals, 1 has wot 15 inch coil the other has a SEF 12x15 inch butterfly coil. One is backup/ loaner for when I have company.

Next I have a Minelab Sovereign GT. I use it on the beach when I'm not going in the water , it gas a SEF 15x18 inch coil.

Next I have an ML ETrac for land.

Last I also have a Fisher 1235x I use for competition hunts as it has a freq shifter.

I have no problem selling my detectors and getting most of what I paid back since I buy used and they hold their values when you buy high quality detectors. All of my detectors have paid for their selves except the etrac and that is only because I just bought it after selling my safari.

I have never really lost any money on any of my detectors, what I sell them for and the finds they made have always add up to way more than what I paid...

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WayneCountyDetector

Jul 25, 2012
Wayne County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
BH Quicksilver
BH Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool thanks for the quick replies. I hope my post didn't come off negatively, because that's not how I meant it to. I guess sometimes 2-3 detectors just doesn't cut it hehe. I have only been MD'ing for a few months now, still a little new and was just curious.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool thanks for the quick replies. I hope my post didn't come off negatively, because that's not how I meant it to. I guess sometimes 2-3 detectors just doesn't cut it hehe. I have only been MD'ing for a few months now, still a little new and was just curious.

No problem it did not come off negative at all.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I have 4. I have the excal that I use exclusively on the beach, the Etrac for general land hunting, the infinium for Virginia and as a back up water machine and my ACE 250 for friends who visit.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Fisher Impulse 8 is a PI machine I only use for salt beaches. The GTA 500 is a general detector used for coinshooting and general detecting. The Ace 250 is also a general detector but newer than the 500. The two gold machines, GB2 and GMT, are just for gold. One is auto balance. The other is manual. I just gave (sold) my GMT to my brother so I should update my collection to 4 machines. I recently had 9 at the same time! TTC

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To cover all aspects of detecting you do need several detectors. If you take just one detector type, the Pulse, then there's waterproof models, gold hunting models, hoard hunting and discriminating versions. So thats three or four detectors straight away.

Then many older designs still have a specific area in which they still excell and can outgun a more modern design.

I also have a few machines that have inbuilt rechargable packs with no ordinary battery back up option. Airlines often object to larger lithium batteries so no good for traveling to other countries. Also I sometimes go to areas where you have to hike in or be dropped by helicopter with no electricity supplies. Far better to sacrifice a little performance for the convience of alkalines.

Take twin/multifrequency designs and you soon find that the Beach Hunter I.D., Fisher CZ's and Sovereign/Excalibers all have areas where one is better than another. You could get by with just one but its far better to have an edge.

beerbarrel

Jun 24, 2007
Houston
I'm one that has more than five, have all of the ones, that I have had, since I started detecting 46 years ago.

beerbarrel

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have my Tiger Shark for fresh water, my Xterra 705 which is my go to for land, and a Golden U max to lend if I have detector less friends who want to give detecting a try. Next to be added to the arsenal is a good salt water machine. Other than the ones I currently own, there have been four or five bought and sold because they weren't right for me. Detectors are sort of like golf clubs, different ones for different purposes.

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have 4. I have the excal that I use exclusively on the beach, the Etrac for general land hunting, the infinium for Virginia and as a back up water machine and my ACE 250 for friends who visit.

WTG, Debby:hello2:

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have 2, machines--Surf PI &,Mxt Pro,one for land & other for water,I haven't yet found anything to pay any of my machines off yet,,you notice I said yet,I will ,but this is my theory,I love doing this,& I make good use of my detectors even if I haven't found any expensive item yet:hello2:To me the most thing I found was a wallet w/money & 2 cell phones,the reward was in returning those items,,Priceless Feeling:hello:HH

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
the finds will come kiana! my excal has paid for all of my machines several times over!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned as many a 4 at one time. I sold all of them save one, a while back. Presently I only own a Sand Shark. That's mainly because all I do is beach hunt for the last 3-4 years. I will buy another vlf machine when I need to. Sometimes it's good to own several detectors, depending on where you live, the type of detecting you do or gonna be doing, and whether or not you want a back up or extra for a friend that doesn't own one, which could always come in handy. That's my 2 cents (which won't buy much).

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Husband and I own 4: Coinmaster, M6, GT 2500 and Excalibur 1000. Looking to sell the GT 2500 as we rarely use it. Husband used to have a RadioShack machine, too. It's probably still in his mother's attic, so that would make 5!

Hope you find great things on your hunts!

HH,
Anita

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To cover all aspects of detecting you do need several detectors. If you take just one detector type, the Pulse, then there's waterproof models, gold hunting models, hoard hunting and discriminating versions. So thats three or four detectors straight away.

Then many older designs still have a specific area in which they still excell and can outgun a more modern design.

I also have a few machines that have inbuilt rechargable packs with no ordinary battery back up option. Airlines often object to larger lithium batteries so no good for traveling to other countries. Also I sometimes go to areas where you have to hike in or be dropped by helicopter with no electricity supplies. Far better to sacrifice a little performance for the convience of alkalines.

Take twin/multifrequency designs and you soon find that the Beach Hunter I.D., Fisher CZ's and Sovereign/Excalibers all have areas where one is better than another. You could get by with just one but its far better to have an edge.

Couldn't have said it better.

I use a variety of detection devices. My Bounty Hunter and Harbor Freight detectors are good for punishment, and surface scans. These also are great for that friend who doesn't know how to gb or use a detector. They are beep and dig.I also have a magnet on a old golf club I use for nails. Now Im not done buying as I want a 2 box and a AT Pro also. But the new toy is a F75 that does all I need it to. The F75 is sensitive and has great depth and discrimination. Just not practical and too pricey for hunting in the park. The F75 goes deeeeep. I also have a assortment of coil sizes as hunts dictate. Not to mention the hand held detectors like a Pin Pointer I own. If I had to own just one detector, it is one I dont have now. I learned that buy trial and error. I think the waterproof At Pro would work for everything I do. But I had the opportunity to pick up the used F75 at a great price. The F75 was on my wish list, and I have no regrets. I wish there was more interest in my area. Just figure out what you want to hunt, you'll know what you need then.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only have 3 but I have had about six others at one time or another. Monty

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guilty, I own 5 now and have owned 5 others. I should sell my Whites IDX Pro. Just got the CTX-3030 a couple of months ago. If all goes well i will probably get rid of the EXP II also. Right now I think I will keep the Excal II, at least until I can no longer get out in the water safely. The Etrac is on my keep list for now but you never now when I might want to sell it and try another detector. :laughing7:

By the way I have tried 7 pin pointers, most worked fairly nice. I sold 4 and now have 3 types. I only use the one Garrett Propointer.

Ed D.

bigtruck68

Jul 24, 2012
Pittsburgh,Pa
Detector(s) used
whites xlt * minelab sovereign xs * whites 6000 DI Pro * musketeer xs * xp deus* etrac*tesoro vaquero *
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT QUESTION , i asked the almost exact question a week back and all i got was 1 good reply and rest were BS replies. i quess maybe it was your wording was better than mine. anyway thanks for posting this question ,i can read your responces . most of the post on here are really informative but every now and then you get some BS ones, i quess i just got them all at the same time.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread