What's new

Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin? UPDATE - cleaned and graded

Nick A

Hero Member
Joined
May 10, 2007
Messages
657
Reaction score
153
Golden Thread
0
Location
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Perhaps my first ever even close to banner worthy find. So, my wheat count hasn't been that great lately, and I have a 1000 goal for the year, figured with a little time I could add a few. Went to an older park today this morning and dug a shield nickel at 2.5 inches, along with a bunch of clad. Took a break for lunch and decided to head back over for a bit thinking maybe I could get those wheats and maybe an indian head. First target was the wheat... a 1910, nice. Second was an 1897 indian head. Goals achieved. Next pass I get a blip at the end of the sweep, decide to check it out. 12-43, 12-44 on the E-Trac, a little depth, I'm hoping for a wheat. Ok, so I pull out this coin, it's silver, WOOT! :o Ok, what the heck is it... I see what looks like a 106? It's bigger than a dime, thicker too with nice strong reeding on the edge... maybe one of those Philippines 10 centavos? No, wait, maybe it's a Barber dime? No, too big. Phillipines... no, keep looking at it... :o Holy freaking crap, it's a BUST DIME in AWESOME condition! :o I walk back to the car, gingerly place it on a soft towel I had in the trunk, try to calm my nerves and head back to hunting. Tried to stay focused, but did not find much else, a few modern clad. So, I come home, praying I didn't hit this thing with the digger and gently wash it under the faucet and pat it dry. My oldest and best coin after 19 years detecting, 1833 bust dime in awesome condition. Skipped right over finding seated or large cents.

UPDATE: Sent to NCS for professional cleaning and grading (cost about $40). Got it back Friday 8/28. Unfortunately still came back with a "cleaned" grade of XF, there were some fine scratches under the dirt they removed - just enough that it didn't make it. :'( Bummer. But still looks awesome for a dug coin, still has some mint luster too. :) Posted a picture of how it came out of the ground as well... before and after, lol.
 

Attachments

  • 080109b.webp
    080109b.webp
    44.6 KB · Views: 6,070
  • 080109c.webp
    080109c.webp
    47.8 KB · Views: 6,050
  • 1833 dime in holder.webp
    1833 dime in holder.webp
    45 KB · Views: 1,817
  • 1833 dime as dug.webp
    1833 dime as dug.webp
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,797
  • 1833 dime clean 1b.webp
    1833 dime clean 1b.webp
    34 KB · Views: 1,821
  • 1833 dime clean 1a.webp
    1833 dime clean 1a.webp
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,820
Upvote 2
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!
Great hunt!
Congratulations!
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Wonderful find. That is :laughing7: early American silver there bro. It looks to be in fabulous shape.... I am with you, I skipped over the seated and found a capped bust first. Save the worst for last, this is my motto. Congrats.
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Great looking coin there. Any one of the three would make the hunt a success for me though! :thumbsup:

Congrats on the Banner!

HH,

Dave
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Congratulations. You really worked hard and that is a great banner find. Glad it was you.
TnMountains
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

congrats on a great coin and the banner
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Incredible Find! In my opinion, one of the best DUG Capped Bust coins ever posted on TNet! That's the beauty of metal detecting...when the coin you pull from the ground totally blows away what you were expecting. It's that feeling, that keeps drawing us back into the fields, parks, lawns and woods.
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

WHAT THE FFFFFFFFFF!!!!! MAN THATS A DANDY!!!!!



BANNER!!!!!!!

I am going to have to say ,,,,MIKE THE CAT ON THAT!!!!!
 

Attachments

  • mike the cat.webp
    mike the cat.webp
    2.8 KB · Views: 4,554
  • mike the cat.webp
    mike the cat.webp
    2.8 KB · Views: 4,582
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Thanks all for the kind words! I am still in disbelief at finding this coin. I have looked into cleaning and slabbing, and found that NCS is quite reasonable. It will soon be on it's way there and I'll be chompin' at the bit to get it back and see how good it looks and how it will grade. :-)
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Nick A (at1cad) said:
Thanks all for the kind words! I am still in disbelief at finding this coin. I have looked into cleaning and slabbing, and found that NCS is quite reasonable. It will soon be on it's way there and I'll be chompin' at the bit to get it back and see how good it looks and how it will grade. :-)

Sounds good, make sure you update this post!
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :headbang:
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

That's one mighty sweet piece! :occasion14:
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

I, too, found a beautiful, banner-worthy 1809/1811 Capped Bust dime this year. There were only 65,180 minted.

1811_Dime 006.webp
1811_Dime 009.webp


Congrats on your dime!

Kyle
 

Attachments

  • 1811_Dime 006.webp
    1811_Dime 006.webp
    33.1 KB · Views: 4,324
  • 1811_Dime 009.webp
    1811_Dime 009.webp
    32.9 KB · Views: 4,300
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

That is one sweet dime for sure, it makes my mouth water. HH
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

you might as well get rid of you detector. you probably won't find much nicer :'(
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

AWESOME coin nick !!! WTG Banner :notworthy:
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Nick A (at1cad) said:
Skipped right over finding seated or large cents.

:wink: Just had to smile when I read this! :D

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,92499.html

What a beautiful coin!!! Although the condition of my find doesn't hold a candle to the one you found, I know how you felt when you dug it up. :wink:

Many congrats to ya!!! Beautiful!!!!

Nana :)
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Very nice job on the coin!!!! :) The bust dime is definatly an awesome find!
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Outstanding, congratulations
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom