What's new

Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin? UPDATE - cleaned and graded

Nick A

Hero Member
Joined
May 10, 2007
Messages
657
Reaction score
153
Golden Thread
0
Location
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Perhaps my first ever even close to banner worthy find. So, my wheat count hasn't been that great lately, and I have a 1000 goal for the year, figured with a little time I could add a few. Went to an older park today this morning and dug a shield nickel at 2.5 inches, along with a bunch of clad. Took a break for lunch and decided to head back over for a bit thinking maybe I could get those wheats and maybe an indian head. First target was the wheat... a 1910, nice. Second was an 1897 indian head. Goals achieved. Next pass I get a blip at the end of the sweep, decide to check it out. 12-43, 12-44 on the E-Trac, a little depth, I'm hoping for a wheat. Ok, so I pull out this coin, it's silver, WOOT! :o Ok, what the heck is it... I see what looks like a 106? It's bigger than a dime, thicker too with nice strong reeding on the edge... maybe one of those Philippines 10 centavos? No, wait, maybe it's a Barber dime? No, too big. Phillipines... no, keep looking at it... :o Holy freaking crap, it's a BUST DIME in AWESOME condition! :o I walk back to the car, gingerly place it on a soft towel I had in the trunk, try to calm my nerves and head back to hunting. Tried to stay focused, but did not find much else, a few modern clad. So, I come home, praying I didn't hit this thing with the digger and gently wash it under the faucet and pat it dry. My oldest and best coin after 19 years detecting, 1833 bust dime in awesome condition. Skipped right over finding seated or large cents.

UPDATE: Sent to NCS for professional cleaning and grading (cost about $40). Got it back Friday 8/28. Unfortunately still came back with a "cleaned" grade of XF, there were some fine scratches under the dirt they removed - just enough that it didn't make it. :'( Bummer. But still looks awesome for a dug coin, still has some mint luster too. :) Posted a picture of how it came out of the ground as well... before and after, lol.
 

Attachments

  • 080109b.webp
    080109b.webp
    44.6 KB · Views: 6,070
  • 080109c.webp
    080109c.webp
    47.8 KB · Views: 6,050
  • 1833 dime clean 1a.webp
    1833 dime clean 1a.webp
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,820
  • 1833 dime clean 1b.webp
    1833 dime clean 1b.webp
    34 KB · Views: 1,821
  • 1833 dime in holder.webp
    1833 dime in holder.webp
    45 KB · Views: 1,817
  • 1833 dime as dug.webp
    1833 dime as dug.webp
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,797
Upvote 2
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

WTG on such a rare find in Columbus Ohio. Banner it is :headbang:
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

I can't vote banner.......you already made it........... :thumbsup:

Do I really have to say it....? o.k..........what a beauty....... :thumbsup:
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

sweet find and shes in great condition too
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Beautiful, truly beautiful dime there!
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Really awesome coin there congrats on that one for sure.
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Wow great find! Great condition!
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

thats is the nices coin i ever seen wtg :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

What a beautiful specimen of that coin. Fantastic find. Many congrats to you on this one. :hello2:
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Wow she's a bute, congrats out to you on this awesome find :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
 
See update on original post at top... more pics added. :headbang:
 
Question.... who's cleaning are they referring to as improper? The condition it arrived, or what they did? Since they played a role in cleaning the coin, the least they could have done was left "improper" off and just marked it cleaned.

Being dug you're almost always going to get hit with cleaned or environmetal damage. It's expected.

Great find none the less.
 
Iron Patch said:
Question.... who's cleaning are they referring to as improper? The condition it arrived, or what they did? Since they played a role in cleaning the coin, the least they could have done was left "improper" off and just marked it cleaned.

Being dug you're almost always going to get hit with cleaned or environmetal damage. It's expected.

Great find none the less.

Right, I think the "improperly cleaned" is just their lingo. Doesn't reflect what they do, or what I did. It's just what happens to a coin when it's in the ground for 170 years. The scratches are there, but they are much fainter than on a "real" rubbed or cleaned coin.
 
Nick A (at1cad) said:
Iron Patch said:
Question.... who's cleaning are they referring to as improper? The condition it arrived, or what they did? Since they played a role in cleaning the coin, the least they could have done was left "improper" off and just marked it cleaned.

Being dug you're almost always going to get hit with cleaned or environmetal damage. It's expected.

Great find none the less.

Right, I think the "improperly cleaned" is just their lingo. Doesn't reflect what they do, or what I did. It's just what happens to a coin when it's in the ground for 170 years. The scratches are there, but they are much fainter than on a "real" rubbed or cleaned coin.

Ok, then improper refers to scratching opposed to being tagged simply as cleaned which would probably mean dipped. I still don't like that word and if you ever sell it, pop it out!
 
Awesome coin congrats.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom