What's new

Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin? UPDATE - cleaned and graded

Nick A

Hero Member
Joined
May 10, 2007
Messages
657
Reaction score
153
Golden Thread
0
Location
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Perhaps my first ever even close to banner worthy find. So, my wheat count hasn't been that great lately, and I have a 1000 goal for the year, figured with a little time I could add a few. Went to an older park today this morning and dug a shield nickel at 2.5 inches, along with a bunch of clad. Took a break for lunch and decided to head back over for a bit thinking maybe I could get those wheats and maybe an indian head. First target was the wheat... a 1910, nice. Second was an 1897 indian head. Goals achieved. Next pass I get a blip at the end of the sweep, decide to check it out. 12-43, 12-44 on the E-Trac, a little depth, I'm hoping for a wheat. Ok, so I pull out this coin, it's silver, WOOT! :o Ok, what the heck is it... I see what looks like a 106? It's bigger than a dime, thicker too with nice strong reeding on the edge... maybe one of those Philippines 10 centavos? No, wait, maybe it's a Barber dime? No, too big. Phillipines... no, keep looking at it... :o Holy freaking crap, it's a BUST DIME in AWESOME condition! :o I walk back to the car, gingerly place it on a soft towel I had in the trunk, try to calm my nerves and head back to hunting. Tried to stay focused, but did not find much else, a few modern clad. So, I come home, praying I didn't hit this thing with the digger and gently wash it under the faucet and pat it dry. My oldest and best coin after 19 years detecting, 1833 bust dime in awesome condition. Skipped right over finding seated or large cents.

UPDATE: Sent to NCS for professional cleaning and grading (cost about $40). Got it back Friday 8/28. Unfortunately still came back with a "cleaned" grade of XF, there were some fine scratches under the dirt they removed - just enough that it didn't make it. :'( Bummer. But still looks awesome for a dug coin, still has some mint luster too. :) Posted a picture of how it came out of the ground as well... before and after, lol.
 

Attachments

  • 080109b.webp
    080109b.webp
    44.6 KB · Views: 6,070
  • 080109c.webp
    080109c.webp
    47.8 KB · Views: 6,050
  • 1833 dime clean 1a.webp
    1833 dime clean 1a.webp
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,820
  • 1833 dime clean 1b.webp
    1833 dime clean 1b.webp
    34 KB · Views: 1,821
  • 1833 dime in holder.webp
    1833 dime in holder.webp
    45 KB · Views: 1,817
  • 1833 dime as dug.webp
    1833 dime as dug.webp
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,797
Upvote 2
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

that coin is so freak-in amazing! congrats

mintage 485,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I vote banner!
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

oh..........BTW can we see the shield nickel and indian?
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Spectacular condition coin!!!!! Congrats!
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Goes4ever said:
that coin is so freak-in amazing! congrats

mintage 485,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I vote banner!

Very low mintage - WELL DONE!

Whats it worth ?
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

(DO NOT CLEAN ANY FURTHER)
Very nice coin!Heres the redbook values.
VF-85.00
XF-260.00
AU-50-390.00
MS-60 790.00
MS-65 6,800.00
AND THAT ONE IS VERY NICE!

Congrats,
Labradorbob
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Great coin Nick. I was just saying today how sweet it would be to find one.
Now you know ,hope someday i will also .
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Goes4ever said:
oh..........BTW can we see the shield nickel and indian?
 

Attachments

  • 080109d.webp
    080109d.webp
    74.2 KB · Views: 5,870
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

That dime is real outstanding, amazing find !! :o Still looking for a busted coin.... :notworthy:

Keep @ It and HH!! ;D :D
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

I'm voting banner! Beautiful coin! Good for you..... :hello2: :hello2:

HH,
Moon
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Congrats man! very nice coin! any bust coin is awesome but to be in that kind of shape just amazing :thumbsup: keep it up! best of luck and HH
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

VERY VERY NICE..... Congratulations! :hello2: :notworthy:
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

WooHoo! You made the banner......at least my vote counted for something! ::)

HH,
Moon
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Congrats on a real beauty!
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

banner already! :)
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

WOW! congrats!!
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

VERY nice coin indeed!!! That one will be hard to top. Congrats!!! 8)
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Congrats on a great looking coin. Great detail. Hogge :headbang:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom