What's new

Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin? UPDATE - cleaned and graded

Nick A

Hero Member
Joined
May 10, 2007
Messages
657
Reaction score
153
Golden Thread
0
Location
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Perhaps my first ever even close to banner worthy find. So, my wheat count hasn't been that great lately, and I have a 1000 goal for the year, figured with a little time I could add a few. Went to an older park today this morning and dug a shield nickel at 2.5 inches, along with a bunch of clad. Took a break for lunch and decided to head back over for a bit thinking maybe I could get those wheats and maybe an indian head. First target was the wheat... a 1910, nice. Second was an 1897 indian head. Goals achieved. Next pass I get a blip at the end of the sweep, decide to check it out. 12-43, 12-44 on the E-Trac, a little depth, I'm hoping for a wheat. Ok, so I pull out this coin, it's silver, WOOT! :o Ok, what the heck is it... I see what looks like a 106? It's bigger than a dime, thicker too with nice strong reeding on the edge... maybe one of those Philippines 10 centavos? No, wait, maybe it's a Barber dime? No, too big. Phillipines... no, keep looking at it... :o Holy freaking crap, it's a BUST DIME in AWESOME condition! :o I walk back to the car, gingerly place it on a soft towel I had in the trunk, try to calm my nerves and head back to hunting. Tried to stay focused, but did not find much else, a few modern clad. So, I come home, praying I didn't hit this thing with the digger and gently wash it under the faucet and pat it dry. My oldest and best coin after 19 years detecting, 1833 bust dime in awesome condition. Skipped right over finding seated or large cents.

UPDATE: Sent to NCS for professional cleaning and grading (cost about $40). Got it back Friday 8/28. Unfortunately still came back with a "cleaned" grade of XF, there were some fine scratches under the dirt they removed - just enough that it didn't make it. :'( Bummer. But still looks awesome for a dug coin, still has some mint luster too. :) Posted a picture of how it came out of the ground as well... before and after, lol.
 

Attachments

  • 080109b.webp
    080109b.webp
    44.6 KB · Views: 6,070
  • 080109c.webp
    080109c.webp
    47.8 KB · Views: 6,050
  • 1833 dime clean 1a.webp
    1833 dime clean 1a.webp
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,820
  • 1833 dime clean 1b.webp
    1833 dime clean 1b.webp
    34 KB · Views: 1,821
  • 1833 dime in holder.webp
    1833 dime in holder.webp
    45 KB · Views: 1,817
  • 1833 dime as dug.webp
    1833 dime as dug.webp
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,797
Upvote 2
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Wtg! :headbang:
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

AWESOME!!!!!!! Congrats!! :icon_thumleft:
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Super find! Congratulations! I have been looking for my first Bust silver since '74. I would take an AG or worse, as long as I could tell it was a Bust.
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Wow!!!!!
That coin is in amazing shape. I've never seen one nicer.
Way to go bud!
Mike
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

:headbang:yah-hoo how bout that now that is a incredible coin good 4 u :hello2:
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Sweet find. That's my motivation for today.
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

That is one awesome coin, I have been looking for one of those at least half that good for a while now. I found a few capped bust but they are pretty well worn out.


congradulations, peanut
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

I know it's not your first rodeo.....but I must commend you on your restraint for not wiping off that coin. What an unbelievable find!
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

:hello2: Now that's a dandy bust dime!! Congrats on the find, and on the banner. Well deserved.
HH
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

:headbang: :notworthy: :icon_thumright: Glad to see you made the banner, that is certainly a great find. First Mike, then you, I hope my turn's coming. :wink:
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

this brings me out of lurking.......damn nice!
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Sent it off to NCS (Numismatic Conservation Services) today for cleaning, conservation and a grade. Should take 4-6 weeks. Keep your fingers crossed, I'll let everyone know the results when I get it back. Thanks again all for the kind words and making the banner. ;D
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

What part of Columbus? Born at Mt. Carmel West. Just curious, because I plan on hunting up in Upper Arlington sometime at a friends place. AWESOME COIN. I can imagine what it must of felt like coming out of the ground.
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Well done on a Banner Find!
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

amazing find!!!!!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom