What's new

Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin? UPDATE - cleaned and graded

Nick A

Hero Member
Joined
May 10, 2007
Messages
657
Reaction score
153
Golden Thread
0
Location
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Perhaps my first ever even close to banner worthy find. So, my wheat count hasn't been that great lately, and I have a 1000 goal for the year, figured with a little time I could add a few. Went to an older park today this morning and dug a shield nickel at 2.5 inches, along with a bunch of clad. Took a break for lunch and decided to head back over for a bit thinking maybe I could get those wheats and maybe an indian head. First target was the wheat... a 1910, nice. Second was an 1897 indian head. Goals achieved. Next pass I get a blip at the end of the sweep, decide to check it out. 12-43, 12-44 on the E-Trac, a little depth, I'm hoping for a wheat. Ok, so I pull out this coin, it's silver, WOOT! :o Ok, what the heck is it... I see what looks like a 106? It's bigger than a dime, thicker too with nice strong reeding on the edge... maybe one of those Philippines 10 centavos? No, wait, maybe it's a Barber dime? No, too big. Phillipines... no, keep looking at it... :o Holy freaking crap, it's a BUST DIME in AWESOME condition! :o I walk back to the car, gingerly place it on a soft towel I had in the trunk, try to calm my nerves and head back to hunting. Tried to stay focused, but did not find much else, a few modern clad. So, I come home, praying I didn't hit this thing with the digger and gently wash it under the faucet and pat it dry. My oldest and best coin after 19 years detecting, 1833 bust dime in awesome condition. Skipped right over finding seated or large cents.

UPDATE: Sent to NCS for professional cleaning and grading (cost about $40). Got it back Friday 8/28. Unfortunately still came back with a "cleaned" grade of XF, there were some fine scratches under the dirt they removed - just enough that it didn't make it. :'( Bummer. But still looks awesome for a dug coin, still has some mint luster too. :) Posted a picture of how it came out of the ground as well... before and after, lol.
 

Attachments

  • 080109b.webp
    080109b.webp
    44.6 KB · Views: 6,070
  • 080109c.webp
    080109c.webp
    47.8 KB · Views: 6,050
  • 1833 dime clean 1a.webp
    1833 dime clean 1a.webp
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,820
  • 1833 dime clean 1b.webp
    1833 dime clean 1b.webp
    34 KB · Views: 1,821
  • 1833 dime in holder.webp
    1833 dime in holder.webp
    45 KB · Views: 1,817
  • 1833 dime as dug.webp
    1833 dime as dug.webp
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,797
Upvote 2
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

CRUSADER said:
Goes4ever said:
that coin is so freak-in amazing! congrats

mintage 485,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I vote banner!

Very low mintage - WELL DONE!

Whats it worth ?
To Silvercop, It's priceless!!! Banner :icon_thumleft: :notworthy: :headbang: :hello2: :laughing7:
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

What a beaut, and in KILLER condition!!
WTG!
Baggins
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

LabradorBob (Missouri) said:
(DO NOT CLEAN ANY FURTHER)
Very nice coin!Heres the redbook values.
VF-85.00
XF-260.00
AU-50-390.00
MS-60 790.00
MS-65 6,800.00
AND THAT ONE IS VERY NICE!

Congrats,
Labradorbob
i don't agree :P the coin needs professionally cleaning :read2: sometimes the silver hammered coins we get here come out looking like that(dull, no tone) the condition we would grade that would be EF (high end)

great find :notworthy: weldone on the BANNER.

PS seen one on line $2,600

SS
 

Attachments

  • 1833_dime_obv.webp
    1833_dime_obv.webp
    23.2 KB · Views: 5,320
  • 1833_dime_rev.webp
    1833_dime_rev.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 5,295
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Outstanding find... Can't stop looking... :P
Congrats on the Banner find...
HH Robert
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

WOW!!!! :o
Fantastic BANNER dime!!!! :thumbsup: :headbang:
Congrats on all your great coins,
MM
:occasion14: :occasion14: :wav: :occasion14: :occasion14: :wav: :occasion14: :wav:
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Just beautiful... The detail on that coin is amazing. A well deserved BANNER find!!! Congratulations :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DANGLANGLEY
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

That's a beautiful coin. Must have been new when lost. The detail is awesome.

I don't know if anyone has told you but that's an INCREDIBLE coin. :wink:

Congrats on a banner find. Well deserved. :thumbsup:

Randy
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

OH MY !!! WTG that's one nice dime!!! (The other ones aint bad either ;D)

Nat
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Wow,sweeeeet find!!!You must be a very happy fella,congrats. :thumbsup:
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

I agree, I think you should get it professionally cleaned.
That is an amazing coin!
I'm very happy for you!
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Oh yea that is one very nice bust dime and excelent shape. The one that I found this year was very very worn and could hardly see the date. Your is a number one looking coin. Congs.......Matt
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Congrats on a great find! A well desrved banner find!
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: she's beautiful

:wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav:
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

nice coin. still on my list , congradulations on a banner find.
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

how did i miss this post??? thats a awesome find! great score. willy.
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Congrats on the find of a lifetime! Banner, too. :icon_thumleft:

HH
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Nice looking Liberty Cap Dime. Congrats on you dime and the banner. :thumbsup:
 
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

This is what TNet is all about.......Jaw Dropping Finds!!!!!

Congrats.

DM
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom