What's new

Whats Happening To Our Language? ****

Frankn

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2010
Messages
8,779
Reaction score
2,989
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
What's Happening To Our Language? ****

Is It just me, looking at it from an older viewpoint or is our language being censored an softer replacements added?
Examples: In place of the word"LIE"-------Misspoken
: In place of the word"FACT"-----Talking point

Frank
 

Attachments

  • crystal ball 2  700.webp
    crystal ball 2 700.webp
    52.9 KB · Views: 140
'softer' maybe cause everyone is scared of political correctness?

not me, I say lie, I say fact and throw that fact in your face.


I think everyone is trying to 'appease' everyone else. good gravy it can't be done but they can try


i dont' do it. I say what I mean and don't mince 'those soft words' at all. it isn't me :laughing9:
 
The use of language is very powerful.

I am noticing the Orwellian double-speak in the mainstream. Not to ruffle feathers, but things like the 'Patriot Act', sure it has the word patriot, but it's nearly the opposite.

I perfer to work my word magic, in person, with eye contact.
 
ut oh critical, 1984? please explain. intriging for sure
 
In George Orwell's book 1984 (fiction from the 1940s) he described a new language called "newspeak"
It was developed under the guise of simplification, but was really used as a means of controlling the people.

The premise being that if they removed the ability to form the words of protest, they could control people further.
Instead of bad, there was only "ungood" Or "doubleungood" or "doubleplusungood"

he also accurately predicted our surveillance society and total, all powerful big government control.

http://www.george-orwell.org/1984
 
Is It just me, looking at it from an older viewpoint or is our language being censored an softer replacements added?
Examples: In place of the word"LIE"-------Misspoken
: In place of the word"FACT"-----Talking point

Frank

It's just us oldies watching the world continuing to further manifest within the various cultural and social overlappings of a rapidly progressing world environment. Then again, I can still take you into neighborhoods where "liar" would be a very mild compliment. :laughing7:
 
oh I was thinking an event from 1984 LOL

I see it. it is to nullify masses emotions. smart, but yet every minute of every news cast I ever watch is horrible news. So while the word 'ungood' is calmer, should the pictures and whole story equal those words? way off in my opinion. They'' need censor the news more :) LOL a picture speaks a thousand words, to the seer of that pic. can't be censored.
 
oh I was thinking an event from 1984 LOL

I see it. it is to nullify masses emotions. smart, but yet every minute of every news cast I ever watch is horrible news. So while the word 'ungood' is calmer, should the pictures and whole story equal those words? way off in my opinion. They'' need censor the news more :) LOL a picture speaks a thousand words, to the seer of that pic. can't be censored.

http://ahmedbilal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/media-bias.jpg
 
Chick, Oh, but they do sensor the pictures. I stayed up late to watch that Branch Davian Raid in TX. I saw the tank poke the "gun barrel" thru the kitchen wall. Smoke started coming out of the building. The tank pulled back out and flaming napon dripping from its barrel. The next morning I watched the reruns of the event. The flaming part was photoshopped out. There was also a photographer that was caught photoshopping a war picture in a mag for a more dramatic effect. It's easy to change pictures, I do it all the time. As an example, the picture below is a composit of a goose picture and a picture of Gracie a bulldog I had. Frank
 

Attachments

  • Gracie and friend.webp
    Gracie and friend.webp
    68 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
I watched the same realtime film you did Frankn about Waco .
 
I watched the same realtime film you did Frankn about Waco .

Me too.

'Waco, rules of engagement'
They should make that mandatory for police as an example of how NOT to act.
 
As an "older" person, I have noticed a "shift" in semantics, meanings,
new words and phrases of language, and some even becoming extinct.
Mostly I see confusion of what people mean when they say "what they say." :icon_scratch:

Sometimes, inflection, tone and cadence provide the only clues to understanding and communicating with others...

For example, an early shift was when countries no longer "spied;" those countries now "conduct surveilence."

It is no longer acceptable to call a certain viral skin condition a "wart." They will now be called "skin biscuits."

"Toilet paper" has fallen by the wayside; from now on until further notice it shall be called, "Moon Floss."

I find it easier to adapt and find humor than to stress over language, which is a living, breathing entity;
changing, morphing and allowing for constant new interpretations.

Great thread!

Best
Wishes,
Scott

PS. I'll subscribe to this thread in hopes of a "gay" time!
 
Last edited:
Dont forget its ok to apply a "kinetic action" (which is bombing)to another country but you cant bomb them.
 
Dont forget its ok to apply a "kinetic action" (which is bombing)to another country but you cant bomb them.
I want to punch a baby panda in the face when I hear the phrase "undocumented" to refer to someone who is an ILLEGAL.

I should go to the store and makes some "undocumented purchases"
Oh that's right, those are CRIMES.
 
Dont forget its ok to apply a "kinetic action" (which is bombing)to another country but you cant bomb them.

Perhaps a "retaliatory"/"pre-emptive" decimating "reply"/"overt action" is an acceptable term?

You can see the confusion that I spoke of earlier about "what do they mean?"

It all boils down to the action and how it is "spun" by whom....
Different "folks" use language very skillfully and subconsciously to mold opinion and thought. For the "Sheeple."

Don't be a "Sheeple!"

Understand the agendas and hidden ulterior motives of those whom you converse with and listen to.


Best,
Scott
 
Last edited:
Actually with proper usage, there can be a difference between illegal and undocumented. A dear friend was brought into the US legally by her father in 1989, when she was 16. He had been legally working in the US for years, and under a program at that time, he was allowed to bring in his children after a certain number of years.

At the border, they went to an attorney, and filled out the papers, showing the applications to the immigration officials who accepted it. Application pending. They then went on in to the US as legals.

Time passed, and no communication from the INS. They contacted them, no records found. They went back to the border, looking for the attorney, who had run off with the money and did not complete the applications.

So, suddenly, she was not legal, but undocumented, though they did everything correctly. Eventually, the laws were changed, and she became outright illegal while not doing anything different.

She was eventually caught, and had a deportation hearing. When the judge found out she had been going to college, he gave her residency. She is now married to a North American, has some sort of college diploma, works and paid taxes, and her sons are being raised as Americans. Bilingual, but Americans.

She never did want to come to the US. Now, she is happy there, but never wanted to leave her Mexican home. Minor children have no say in such matters.
 
Actually with proper usage, there can be a difference between illegal and undocumented. A dear friend was brought into the US legally by her father in 1989, when she was 16. He had been legally working in the US for years, and under a program at that time, he was allowed to bring in his children after a certain number of years.

At the border, they went to an attorney, and filled out the papers, showing the applications to the immigration officials who accepted it. Application pending. They then went on in to the US as legals.

Time passed, and no communication from the INS. They contacted them, no records found. They went back to the border, looking for the attorney, who had run off with the money and did not complete the applications.

So, suddenly, she was not legal, but undocumented, though they did everything correctly. Eventually, the laws were changed, and she became outright illegal while not doing anything different.

She was eventually caught, and had a deportation hearing. When the judge found out she had been going to college, he gave her residency. She is now married to a North American, has some sort of college diploma, works and paid taxes, and her sons are being raised as Americans. Bilingual, but Americans.

She never did want to come to the US. Now, she is happy there, but never wanted to leave her Mexican home. Minor children have no say in such matters.

And, in the final analysis, your contribution and belief is what?

Is there some "one sentence message" that you wish to convey?

Make your statement and then stand behind it.

Best,
Scott
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom