What's new

YES! 1st(probably last) HALF DIME 1795

scratcher

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
463
Reaction score
45
Golden Thread
0
By far my best coin today. Decent shape to boot! Found some other cool stuff too- trigger guard, another 41st of Foot officers button-but this blows everything else away.
 

Attachments

  • halfdime 009.webp
    halfdime 009.webp
    36.6 KB · Views: 7,142
  • halfdime 017.webp
    halfdime 017.webp
    30.5 KB · Views: 7,095
Upvote 0
There have been some really nice finds by TNET members, but this one blows me away !!

VERY NICE FIND :thumbsup:

VPR
 
What an absolutley beautiful coin you found. I wouldn't touch it, just leave it exactly the way it is. And good job on not damaging it during recovery, very well done.

James.
HomesteadHunter
 
Yep, that's a great find...but where's the other stuff?
 
Now that is a BANNER find without a doubt! I believe almost anybody who detects and looks for old coins would be one happy person finding your coin.

I know of two others found ,either 1794 or 1795, not sure of the years, I know one was 1794 and he sent it away for grading and slabbing, and he was not a happy camper with the fact it came back saying either Cleaned or Improperly Cleaned and he swears he did nothing to it. So you are at the mercy of the company and how they might deal with it, since they will most likely know by the appearance it did come from the ground.

With that said, I believe it is somewhere between a Fine and Very Fine for details, and lean closer to Very Fine. Again, congratulations on many of us here what would be considered "dream find".

Don
 
Don in SJ said:
Now that is a BANNER find without a doubt! I believe almost anybody who detects and looks for old coins would be one happy person finding your coin.

I know of two others found ,either 1794 or 1795, not sure of the years, I know one was 1794 and he sent it away for grading and slabbing, and he was not a happy camper with the fact it came back saying either Cleaned or Improperly Cleaned and he swears he did nothing to it. So you are at the mercy of the company and how they might deal with it, since they will most likely know by the appearance it did come from the ground.

With that said, I believe it is somewhere between a Fine and Very Fine for details, and lean closer to Very Fine. Again, congratulations on many of us here what would be considered "dream find".

Don


sad to hear that, but you are correct on your statement! You are at the mercy.



Congratulations on making the BANNER!
 
Beautiful coin. Not something you see posted every day. Congratulations on the banner.

KG6YLL
 
WOW! Nice, another coin I hope to find someday ;D

I would say a Very Fine as well :thumbsup:

How about a 3D avatar of your coin, like the one I have?
Just say the word and I will make you one.

HH,
Donny
 
Scratcher, I have been just staring at that coin of yours for the longest time!! ::) ::) ::)

That is a coin find of a lifetime!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Even though, like you say, you probably won't find another in your lifetime, you've found a coin that 99% will never find in our lifetimes!!

Major Congrats!! Well Deserved BANNER!! :icon_king: :icon_king:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
 
Some better news, the fact you found a 1795 is great, but there are 10 varieties of the 1795 Half Dime.I was hoping it was one of the Rare varieties$ for 1795, but I don't think so, but it is listed on coinfacts.com as Very Scarce(R4) for that variety, so that is great news.

I am fairly certain your Half Dime is a Variety known as "Valentine 6" I went thru some auction sites and started eliminating other varieties and there are big differences on some, but when I found a great photo of one on Heritage Auction archives, I am fairly certain it matches yours.

I suggest to anyone interested in trying to find values and even try to attribute varieties, that one thing you can do to do this is join some of the auction sites on line. I use Heritage a lot for help in attributing varieties, if I do not have the books for the coin and also for giggle purposes, the values and how they are being graded.




Don
 
Edited- this is Valentine 6, as Don says. Valentine-5 has a similar die crack from the bridge of Liberty's nose to the rim, but this coin can be distinguished as V-6 by the reverse die. I think it is Rarity-4, making it a slightly scarcer die variety for the year (but not one of the killer rare ones).


I think it grades higher than people are saying here- and the grading services would peg it as having VF35 details. Its surfaces are nice enough that it might just be certified as problem-free, but it's more likely they will identify it as a ground recovery and denote "environmental damage." It does not have the "improperly cleaned" look to it, which is a good thing. Is it bent at all? Many, if not most, of these early half dimes are slightly bent, so check it carefully for that. If not bent, I think its auction value would be between $3,000 and $4,250, depending on how nice or not-nice the surfaces are when viewed under a lamp. Great find!
 
outstanding find all i can say is wow congrats and hh
 
awesome find, way to go
 
Time to quit, you have found your best find! On the other hand there might be another.....Kane 23
 
Congrats on a most amazing find! :o A banner find all the way! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

HH
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom