• halfdime 009.JPG
    halfdime 009.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 7,083
  • halfdime 017.JPG
    halfdime 017.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 7,053
Upvote 0
Don in SJ said:
I suggest to anyone interested in trying to find values and even try to attribute varieties, that one thing you can do to do this is join some of the auction sites on line. I use Heritage a lot for help in attributing varieties, if I do not have the books for the coin and also for giggle purposes, the values and how they are being graded.

Don

This is definitely one of, if not THE best finds I have seen in quite some time. Congrats on the banner, but even more so, congrats on a fantastic find.

Also: Great advice, Don! I joined a while back and occassionally I browse the auctions just to see what is out there that is not listed in the Red Book.

NICE!!! Probably the nicest coin I've seen on TN. I think the coin looks great "as is", but you may want to look into sending it to NCS. NCS will professionally conserve and slab it "genuine" or give it a detail grade and attribute the variety. I do believe, if the coin is "problem free" it will then be sent to NGC for actual grading. I believe most coins don't belong in plastic, but I personnally would send this one in for authentication (which I have no doubt it is the real deal). Congrats on the banner, you deserve it.

Nice looking oldie :thumbsup:

Yep, that is a smoking find! Congrats on that once in a lifetime find.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: jgas

What a coin to add to the collection, way to go :thumbsup:

I only have one thing to say...

You make me want to dig!!!! :thumbsup:

That is one great find! You mentioned that you found it at a site you call the 1812 site.......I can respect that since I also like to hunt sites from that time period also........I am just curious, what state did you find your items? Do you think you could post pics of the Buttons and relics from that site. I"m sure there are some people in here that would like to see them.............WTG

Keep on Digging! John

Don in SJ said:
Now that is a BANNER find without a doubt! I believe almost anybody who detects and looks for old coins would be one happy person finding your coin.

I know of two others found ,either 1794 or 1795, not sure of the years, I know one was 1794 and he sent it away for grading and slabbing, and he was not a happy camper with the fact it came back saying either Cleaned or Improperly Cleaned and he swears he did nothing to it. So you are at the mercy of the company and how they might deal with it, since they will most likely know by the appearance it did come from the ground.

With that said, I believe it is somewhere between a Fine and Very Fine for details, and lean closer to Very Fine. Again, congratulations on many of us here what would be considered "dream find".

Don
Don knows what he is talking about. Here's my advice. I've also dealt with PCGS, ANACS, and NGC. If you are thinking about selling this coin, DO NOT send it in for grading. You will be unhappy about what they grade and (subgrade) it. Any collector or buyer would rather see it like it is, especially a dug coin. I would hit it with warm soapy water and a soft toothbrush and leave it like it is. This method is NOT going to hurt the coin or it's value. Grading this coin is a waste of time and your money. Get some daeler and collector prices and quotes and you might like what you hear. Then decide on private sale or take it to auction with a minimum bid. (Careful with the auction too) Sometimes a bird in the hand is better. Take my 25-83A. I had 2 firm offers of $5000 and went to auction and got 3750- 5% = $3562.50 my cut. It's your coin but I highly recommend NOT sending it to a grading service. GOOD LUCK and Congratulations!!! Hogge

Scratcher,Conratulations on a dream find and it definitely looks great on the banner. Wow! that's one of the coolest coins i've seen posted here :thumbsup:
Jerry

Thanks for all the sound advice guys. I appreciate all the time people take answering questions here. Alot of the relics from this site have been posted by me earlier, but I'll see if I can get the finds from yesterday up as well. If you knew how long it took me to get those photos of the coin right, you'd understand why I'm in no rush to battle my photography skills again today. My lack of camera skills is only surpassed by my lack of typing skills...

I'll probably hold onto this coin for sometime, but who knows after the excitement wanes...

Any thoughts on using the ultrasonic cleaner on this coin as opposed to toothbrush??

Now this is what we all dream of finding,,,,,nice

You found that today!

Hottt Dammm. Banner. That one is on my dream list. Congratulations, you have to be on cloud 9.

djabend said:
WOW! Nice, another coin I hope to find someday ;D

I would say a Very Fine as well :thumbsup:

How about a 3D avatar of your coin, like the one I have?
Just say the word and I will make you one.

HH,
Donny
Donny, you are alright. Thanks again for mine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back