All Treasure Hunting

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think so. Metal detecting in general is dying out. Most of what you see around here is insignificant finds. Not like it's going to die tomorrow. I recall early years of Hang Gliding. It wasn't long before the average age of pilots was one year older every year--no new pilots. Think about it, most of the old stuff is gone. Somebody new to the sport is not going to be finding bunches of old coins. Clad and zinc pennys and maybe a silver ring once every few days does not excite very many people.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday Amigos

I beg to differ in regards to metal detecting I think it is growing as more baby boomers retire but it is fair to say many will buy a detector use it once or twice lose interest and move onto some thing else. Others will spend their lives tinkering with detectors.

But back to Kanacki's perception that forums in general are dying. I Think people come and go and if you look at the demographic on Forum are aging and dying and for others the novelty of online forums has declined with many moving on to other social media such as Facebook. Instagram, twitter, Tick Tock as well as others.

Crow

Jeff Beaumont

Apr 16, 2021
Roanoke, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Apex, Garrett 300. Tesoro Cibola.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, we do have a bunch of new detectorists. Many of them have not heard of this site but they are out there swinging and digging. There are a bunch of us old farts that enjoy the hunt, old or new coins and relics does not matter. If its wealth that folks are looking for they are in the hobby for the wrong reason.

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think they are dying slowly, and that would be a shame. I'm on this forum, a competitor, and was on a couple of Facebook metal detecting forums. I can't imagine why anyone would want to be on the FB forums.

They are slow to load and disorganized, and their algorithm ranks what posts it thinks you want to read. That may work for some, but not for me. These forums are just so easy; you scroll thru all the headlines, click the threads you want, and done. If I want to read new thread about using the Nox, I'll see it quickly on these forums. On FB, you have to weed thru all the cruft of people posting their finds, and there may or may not be a post on using the Nox. It just takes longer.

There is probably a perception that forums are for old people (tho the average FB user is older than people think), but they are simply more efficient. Moreover, the mods post their rules and stick to them, while who knows what sort of censorship FB's and others algorithms are doing.

I've stopped using FB altogether except for my side job where the owner uses it to communicate.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, the hobby is slowly dying out, but i guess it will never die out completely. One will never see a significant find posted since takeing something "significant" is illegal in most countries.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I think so. Metal detecting in general is dying out. Clad and zinc pennys and maybe a silver ring once every few days does not excite very many people.

I have to agree based on my feelings. A silver ring once every few days? How about once every few months anymore......

I'm still active on TNet, but it has been several years since I've actually turned one of my 6 detectors on....

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The gold forum I think truthfully died off because of trumpisssin, now the guys only want talk up laws and activistism, I quit posting as much because vibes we're so bad in there..
Gt...

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
Naw, not so much dying. Just now there are so many other platforms around all competing for and taking away audience share.

Forums are from the days of internet infancy along with chat rooms and personal blogs.

When was the last time you went to an internet chat room or read a blog? These were all superceded by other communication platforms. Look at how much subject matter YouTube now carries.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold forum I think truthfully died off because of trumpisssin, now the guys only want talk up laws and activistism, I quit posting as much because vibes we're so bad in there..
Gt...

I think you hit on something here. I'd call it intolerance for political opinions. My opinion nothing much worse than having a post you made get deleted because somebody just didn't want to hear it. Now watch this get deleted.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Kanacki,
At least one Forum that I can think of is all but dead--due to the changing likes of hobbyists: Stamp Collecting
Don....

Don, you & I are two of the only stamp collectors remaining alive.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Traffic is down on all forums, Detector Depot closed completely. TreasureNet is still here, we still have a lot of guest traffic, guests cant post but long time guests do become members, at this moment there are 1500 guests reading forums.

Majority of the issue is Facebook detecting pages, problem with them for me is everything is under one page, hard to search and find specific posts or topics. I spend very little time on detecting pages on Face Book, I prefer forums..

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda like going to a dealership to buy a car. Now days you send a text and the car arrives out front of your house. Now the big task is to search "social media" for someone to service that on line purchase. Ill stick with the old way as long as it still exists.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as there are pointy rocks being found this forum will never die.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Traffic is down on all forums, Detector Depot closed completely. TreasureNet is still here, we still have a lot of guest traffic, guests cant post but long time guests do become members, at this moment there are 1500 guests reading forums.

I have little doubt that many use TNet simply as a resource, but as a site
owner and Admin of many years (past), I'd submit that a large percentage
of those "guests" are data mining bots. Damn things are like the Borg, and
are relentless.

Once I found Tnet, there was no reason for me to look elsewhere,
and I haven't. I have FB just to keep up with my family and grandkids,
but have never looked at a metal detecting page.

I believe internet forums (along the lines of Tnet) will still be active
in 20 years, but the number (and length) of posts will continue to
drop slowly.

We now have an entire generation that's grown up with social media, and
posts on most social media sites are limited in size. They are not used to
writing paragraphs that explain details, but are great at 140 characters
and less.

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
if you want to see what a dead treasure hunting forum looks like, check out Thunting.com

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Never been on FB. I don't need to connect with people I haven't seen in 30+ years. That and a few skeletons in the closet. I like this site and it's really all I use.

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Hola Amigos

Just question from a 2 finger typist that came from a era before the internet existed.

Is it this old farts Imagination that Forums are slowly dying?

If so is it perhaps from people transitioning to other kinds of social media? Or topics done to death over and over losing its appeal?

Any thoughts on the matter most appreciated.

Kanacki

I don't believe the death of Internet Forums is related to lack of interest in their subject matter. I'm more apt to believe it's symptomatic of an increasingly Ego-Centric Society and a Social Platform that has failed to meet the evolving needs of their Members. Freedom of Speech.

All Social Media is ego-centric based. Everyone wants their opinions, their voice, to be heard. In the past Internet Forums were an outlet for those voices, albeit with physical moderation. Unfortunately, Moderation is/was ego-centric in itself by its own nature, and limited what opinions members were allowed to voice.

Modern Social Media such as Facebook and Twitter give their members much more freedom in that respect, with no 'post police' deciding what opinions they can or cannot express (within legal limits). Thus providing the Illusion of Free Speech.

I say "Illusion" because their posts/opinions are still limited in who can see them by Algorithms. But the trade off appears to be the ability to post their opinions unmoderated.

Here's the kicker. Social media in all its forms, Internet forums included, is a Business. We, as users, are the Product they're selling. We give them our consent every time we log on. Society is finally beginning to realize their value as that Product. The wise ones are getting completely off all Social Media Platforms. The ones who still need that 'illusion of free speech' are migrating away from moderated platforms such as Internet Forums. Thus the death knell for forums such as this one.

Illusion sells. Clothiers sell the illusion of a smaller waist or broader shoulders. Cigarette companies sold the illusion of being 'cool'. The Cosmetic industry sells the illusion of beauty. Social Media is no different.

In reality, ALL Social Media is Smoke & Mirrors. A Billion Dollar Industry being powered by an increasingly Ego-Centric Society's need to gaze upon their own reflection.

Such is life.

Have a Good'un.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread