Both sides of Stone Maps Argument

It's one thing to have fun carving stones, it's another to fool around with acid. You still haven't answered what for, and to what end? Why attempt to just age one stone and forget the rest?

If the Don side was an acid experiment gone wrong, why keep it? Could have just thrown it away because it looks different than the rest of the stones.
again arthur.....i've provided you with a scenario that could have taken place..if you really want to know what happened you would have to ask travis ..or his descendants

it is...go look and let me know what you find..i'll wait right here:icon_thumright:

You're the one who needs to back up your talk, and you have a long history of not doing that. What else is new? :dontknow:

You're the one who needs to back up your talk, and you have a long history of never doing that. What else is new? :dontknow:
arthur...your bully tactics aren't working...i've already said all i'm at liberty to...if you want to know any more you will have to head to texas

The only acid that would have any effect on sandstone is Hydrofluoric acid, a very powerful and dangerous acid, a small spill on the skin can cause a slow death, I cannot imagine in any scenario someone, not a professional, using this acid.
the idea is preposterous. :laughing7:

Both upper and lower "Trail Stones" exhibit pockmarking on the back sides, as well as on their perimeter surfaces.
The upper stone (with the carved cross on the reverse) has also been chiseled to create a bevel, which I once suggested was done so that the stone could perhaps be "set" into a vertical surface, such as the wall of a church, with only the "cross" side exposed.
In other words....hidden in plain sight !
Note that the "pock marking" and general roughness of both is absent wherever carving has been done, which makes it highly unlikely acid was used to make them look "old" IMO, nor would any kind of mechanical surfacing of the "map" surfaces prior to carving.

Attachments

• Mitchell 6.bmp
    475.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Mitchell 3.bmp
    487.8 KB · Views: 66
The only acid that would have any effect on sandstone is Hydrofluoric acid, a very powerful and dangerous acid, a small spill on the skin can cause a slow death, I cannot imagine in any scenario someone, not a professional, using this acid.
the idea is preposterous. :laughing7:
...rocks are my business...Hydrofluoric acid is used in the dental business...we use it in the rock business to eat quartz away from gold in quartz specimens..

arthur...your bully tactics aren't working...i've already said all i'm at liberty to...if you want to know any more you will have to head to texas

First you're telling me the "evidence" is here on this forum, now you're telling me it's all in Texas? ???:dontknow:

I and a hundred others have already posted all the proof anyone with any brains needs to show those stone maps are bogus

.if you want evidence they are fake and have never led anyone to anything of value it is all here on the forum...just go back and read.

the evidence is on this forum..

First you're telling me the "evidence" is here on this forum, now you're telling me it's all in Texas? ???:dontknow:

arthur..you really need to pay attention...i don't waste my time investigating doorstops..i have better things to do...but..lucky for people like you other men have spent alot of time,money and effort to try and get to the bottom of this insanity called the stone maps....big mike..garry cundiff..rg and countless other men have done massive research and have made it public for anyone to see...rg even made some videos...none of these men came to the conclusion the doorstops were genuine treasure maps...now if you don't think they did a good enough job then gas up and hit the road to texas...if you aren't willing to do that then your only other alternative is to study others research...that my friend is the bottom line here...either use their research or go do your own...i'm not going to tell you anything more other than what has been publicly posted ..you obviously think i know something that i wont post or you wouldn't keep up with your bully tactics...i say the same thing i always have...if you think the doorstops weren't carved by travis then produce the proof....oh wait..you don't have any :dontknow:

I have brought this up before....in regards to the "damaged" appearance of both stones.

https://www.comsol.com/blogs/studying-salt-damage-to-the-worlds-crumbling-buildings/

The salinity of the soil in the Phoenix Basin (low lying areas) has been suggested as a possible reason for the decline of Hohokam society after about 1300CE, especially in places both irrigated and drained by the Salt R.
wayne..unscrupulous people have been trying to "antique" things for many years to try and make them look old..its been going on for hundreds of years...they do it with guns...knives..artifacts and stones....nothing new...a friend of mine used to be a gunsmith and his specialty was being able to match the patina on old guns when he had to replace a part..it took him alot of trial and error before he perfected his process.....i'm sure travis did the same..

...rocks are my business...Hydrofluoric acid is used in the dental business...we use it in the rock business to eat quartz away from gold in quartz specimens..
So Travis was a policeman and in “the rock business”? Perhaps the dental business also?

hydrofluoric acid is difficult to get today, it was much more so in 1940 where it was used to etch decorative glass items
this Travis is looking like a regular Buckaroo Bonzai

So Travis was a policeman and in “the rock business”? Perhaps the dental business also?

hydrofluoric acid is difficult to get today, it was much more so in 1940 where it was used to etch decorative glass items
this Travis is looking like a regular Buckaroo Bonzai
lol..you are the one that suggested he used hydroflouric acid..not i....like i told wayne..people have been trying to antique thing forever...you could always go with the deducers theory...he drilled a million little holes in the stone map:laughing7:

lol..you are the one that suggested he used hydroflouric acid..not i....like i told wayne..people have been trying to antique thing forever...you could always go with the deducers theory...he drilled a million little holes in the stone map:laughing7:
You are the one who mentioned acid, I only pointed out that Hydrofluoric acid is the only one that would work.
maybe this is getting too complicated for you to follow?

wayne..unscrupulous people have been trying to "antique" things for many years to try and make them look old..its been going on for hundreds of years...they do it with guns...knives..artifacts and stones....nothing new...a friend of mine used to be a gunsmith and his specialty was being able to match the patina on old guns when he had to replace a part..it took him alot of trial and error before he perfected his process.....i'm sure travis did the same..

And that has always been a big part of the problems with this saga. Too many layers of he said-she said's, along with many years of people misrepresenting personal opinions as "factual", rather than simply offering them as opinion.....which BTW, you have done in this case.

Last edited:
And that has always been a big part of the problems with this saga. Too many layers of he said-she said's, along with many years of people misrepresenting personal opinions as "factual", rather than simply offering them as opinion.

as with any other map the only person that really knows how to decipher it is the man that drew it...you do have one advantage with the stone maps that aren't available with other maps....some of his descendants are (or were a couple years ago) still alive..according to every one of them travis carved those doorstops ...you guys can call them liars and try your hardest to slander them but for me (and the court system we have in this country) eyewitness testimony is the best ...as good as it gets...i think i'll go with that
:headbang:

as with any other map the only person that really knows how to decipher it is the man that drew it...you do have one advantage with the stone maps that aren't available with other maps....some of his descendants are (or were a couple years ago) still alive..according to every one of them travis carved those doorstops ...you guys can call them liars and try your hardest to slander them but for me (and the court system we have in this country) eyewitness testimony is the best ...as good as it gets...i think i'll go with that
:headbang:

I guess you missed the posts where I described some of the things I was told by various living members of the family back when RG and they were talking to me by telephone for many hours.....almost daily in fact for a while. One of those conversations, with the lady who had become "sister" to Janie after her mother passed away, dealt with a very different description of how the H/P stone came to be.
Have you heard that story ?

Last edited:
You are the one who mentioned acid, I only pointed out that Hydrofluoric acid is the only one that would work.
maybe this is getting too complicated for you to follow?
that will be the day lol....there are many different varieties of sandstone...only those with high silica content wouldn't be affected by acid....get another drink and relax alan:occasion14:

I guess you missed the posts where I described some of the things I was told by various living members of the family back when RG and they were talking to me by telephone for many hours.....almost daily in fact for a while. One of those conversations, with the lady who had become "sister" to Janie after her mother passed away, dealt with a very different description of how the H/P stone came to be.
Have you heard that story ?
i have heard them all wayne....catch me at the rendezvous8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back