What's new

Do you let it be known if you found something good?

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2010
Messages
1,530
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Location
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
lets say your at the beach and you dig up a nice fat gold ring with a diamond worth about 1,000 bucks. Someone walkes up to you and ask the usual question "did you find anything yet?". Do you brag and say that you found the ring or just keep quiet and say you found only clad so far. Do you tell your friends what you found? do you just keep the find to yourself (exept here on T-Net :wink: ) or do you let everyone know what you found? just being a curious George ;D :munky2:
 
I never find anything, unless I don't find something that I don't know what it is..... then its going to be here. and I only find trash if anyone asks. if anyone here thinks you have anything you get a visit in the middle of the night. last month the owner of one of the largest beer distributers in P.R. who lives nearby had his alarm go off in the middle of the night, they kicked the door in and he was ready with his semi auto and they missed and he didn't. It was the 2nd armed home invasion in 3 days within a 1/4 mile radius and for some strange reason we have had no others....
 
You have to set a limit in your mine. Most treasure hunters like to show off items they found, but most would clam up for a big one for self protection. From the current news you know you get about one year per lie that you tell the government. The fifth amendment appears to be the best policy. You have to set that cut off limit in your own mine.

Here's an example: I found a diamond ring on the beach. I quietly slipped it my pocket. Another treasure hunter came up to me with a hand full of quarters bragging about how good his Fisher was. I quietly slipped out the ring and flashed it in front of him and then walked away.

Here's another. I found this chest of gold coins.......Ops wrong story! Frank
 
Had that to happen before only trash and coins. And as for as someone kicking in door I have something for them too. lol.

BridgeHunter
 
Curious George,

I'm new to this site but I've been doing this for 40+ years and I've found that its best to just tell everyone "just a few coins" and nothing really old.

Diggin' Dan
 
Nope, never, ever. :thumbsup:

Colorado14ers said:
lets say your at the beach and you dig up a nice fat gold ring with a diamond worth about 1,000 bucks. Someone walkes up to you and ask the usual question "did you find anything yet?". Do you brag and say that you found the ring or just keep quiet and say you found only clad so far. Do you tell your friends what you found? do you just keep the find to yourself (exept here on T-Net :wink: ) or do you let everyone know what you found? just being a curious George ;D :munky2:
 
I tend to be truthful about my stuff. I've hidden some once or twice, but I always show to friends and family. If the stranger poses no threat, I am not worried, but if it's a shady person I clam up.

Oh and also if you find a diamond ring or something, slip it into your pants pocket and not your detecting pouch, for two reasons.

#1. Won't damage it.
#2. You can show your finds and not reveal the good one, or if you get beat up and your find bag stolen, you won't lose the good item.
 
You have to be careful now a days. I've read a few times about people digging up something good at the beach and being approached by an onlooker claiming the article in question is theirs. You hold all the cards if the only description a person can give is that it's round and gold.... :laughing9: You have to go by your intuition, I guess. Of course I have no quams showing family or friends. I'm usually fairly honest when asked by someone if I ever find anything. I show them my trash pile and a few clad coins so they can see what the general percentage of my finds are. If there's a true interest (especially with kids and older people) I might pull out a wheatie, tootsie toy, or what ever cool old thing I have picked up that day. Sometimes an old mason jar lid can really brighten an older persons day, remembering of days passed. It can also open up doors to other hunts....
 
triplehooked said:
You have to be careful now a days. I've read a few times about people digging up something good at the beach and being approached by an onlooker claiming the article in question is theirs.

That's why you keep a beer top handy, when they "claim" you've found "xyz" toss them the beer top
and tell them littering is illegal!

I too have have read about fools that demand you turn out your pockets & whatnot lookin to steal
from you, they wouldn't get far with that with me.

Quarters & trash is my standard response no mater what I may have dug that morning.
 
I usually show junk or clad to on lookers or a crowd will form and you never know who is looking. I was hunting on a beach overseas and I dug a gold ring and the next thing I know I had 15 people or so following me .I felt like the pied piper.I had to leave the beach for a while. They wanted to get down and dig the hole out and were just in my way, then people wanted to use my detector to see what the sounds were. I did not speak the language so I just walked away.
 
No. Never. I never ever do that. Bad idea.

I ususally just answer "a few coins and a bunch of pull tabs" and that seems to satisfy them.
 
Everyone wants to get a "Atta Boy" pat on the head and I am no exception. But when you find that ring, no matter what it is, slip it away like it was trash. You can look at it closely in the car or at home. Never let any beach goer see anything that might be valuable or even think you have something good. If I am asked I might show them some trash and couple coins. Never keep the good rings in pouch with coins and don't be seen squirreling it away in a container around your neck.

Never, ever, be seen doing the Happy Dance at the beach.
 
The answer will follow with the personality of the md'r. As Sandman says, everyone subconsciously likes an "atteboy" in life, right? But some more-so than others. So to some hunters, they may be content with the "bragging rights" just to show their closest friends later in private (like a fisherman showing off his trophy fish, to make sure you know he's "one-upped you" :laughing7: ). But that person may not show a stranger on the beach, for fear of busy-bodies, legal junk, etc....

But to others who relish the oohs and ahs, perhaps they have no problem showing a ring they just found to a curious onlookers. Because that's just their outgoing nature/personality of being more extroverted, social, etc...

Nothing wrong with either person/tact/approach, as it just flows with the type persons we are. But yes, to some degree ...... somewhere, we all relish the "atteboy", even if just restrictly to some super small select group, at a later discreet time (lest why be in the hobby at all, if there's never any gloating, comparing, pacing with each other, etc...?)

I know a good beach hunter, who will not hesitate to show his stuff to anyone who watches/asks. He goes on high traffic days, and has no problem with people coming up and asking questions. In fact, he even carries stuff with him, that he's found on previous hunts, and ends up making sales to total strangers right there on the beach! I simply couldn't believe it when I saw it. But he claims he makes more $$ than their melt value (especially low valued silver rings) than he would if he sent them off to smelters. And he relishes the conversations, meeting people, and I guess the respect and intrigue that people end up subconsciously heaping on him? I dunno.
 
I typically just show them a handful of trash and say I am performing a public service...lol :thumbsup:
 
stock answer to:
did you find anything? pull tabs and pennies - no matter how good or bad my finds are.
ever find anything good/gold? gold ring but was that ten years ago. actually was about 3 years ago i found my last gold ring
keeps the people thinking i have no money/gold on me
 
I have never found anything but pull tabs and unidentifiable hunks of rusted iron :laughing9: That's why I seldom tie up bandwidth here posting about my finds :tongue3:
 
I have "never" found anything "good". At least not until I got home and had a look at the finds. Even then only a few people get to see much of it.
 
truckinbutch said:
I have never found anything but pull tabs and unidentifiable hunks of rusted iron :laughing9: That's why I seldom tie up bandwidth here posting about my finds :tongue3:

Me either so far, if I was in a contest to see who could find the most cans, hands down I would be the winner.

My list of finds so far and keep in mind I have been doing this about 2 weeks now is about 12 soda cans, bud light bottle cap (which I wished I had drank after diging it up in Texas soil) some screws, a nail, a yoguart foil lid, 3 chuckie cheese tokens, 2 recent quarters, 1 dime, 1 nickle and 4 pennies that were all together guess someone dropped them as I did not even have to dig them up oh....and 1 pull tab. But I do not give up that easy! :thumbsup:
 
UPDATE....added to my collection today found a dime and 2 pennies and some hunk of metal at a local playground. I was just happy not to find another can.... :hello2:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom