Fake discovery of the ship of Capt. Kidd

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
It seems to me that Barry Clifford never learns.....

UNESCO discounts American explorer's claim of discovery of pirate treasure in Madagascar...
The account of an American underwater explorer who says he found a silver ingot that belonged to 17th century pirate Captain Kidd in Madagascar is false, the United Nations said Tuesday.
The so-called silver ingot is actually a piece of ballast that consists almost entirely of lead, the U.N. cultural body UNESCO said in a statement. It also dismissed assertions that the shipwreck of the Adventure Galley, a vessel belonging to Captain Kidd, had been found. The underwater structure was instead a broken segment from port construction, it said.
In May, explorer Barry Clifford presented what he said was the silver ingot to Madagascar's president in a ceremony on the island of Sainte Marie, near the country's northeast coast. Clifford's diving team had said the bar was found in a bay off the island.

UNESCO says Madagascar pirate treasure claim is false - US News

I just wonder which other "discovery" we will heard of, after "Santa Maria" and "Adventure Galley".....

Lobo

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Why would a lead ballast weight have that many markings all over if it was just riding in the bottom of a ship?

2A8B327200000578-3161919-Scuttled_Claims_by_an_Emerican-a-7_1436956874701.jpg

Captain Kidd's treasure horde discovered off Madagascar is FAKE | Daily Mail Online

Attachments

• 2A8B337200000578-3161919-Dud_A_UNESCO_report_said_the_silver_ingot_was_just_a_lead_weight-a-5_14.jpg
    2A8B337200000578-3161919-Dud_A_UNESCO_report_said_the_silver_ingot_was_just_a_lead_weight-a-5_14.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 145

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said from the beginning...
That bar was too good.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Friends - I am the proud owner of a couple of genuine Barry Clifford Whydah caps - and a t-shirt that's around here somewhere. I believe those to be genuine. As for anything else...?

Many moons ago I visited the late, great Ken Kinkor in Provincetown on the Cape. He was struggling to keep the academic side of the enterprise afloat with very little funding and support. With his passing whatever shreds of integrity there once were passed, as well.

The little known "Walking the Plank: A True Adventure Among Pirates" by Stephen Kiesling (1994) tells the whole story. I highly recommend it.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live here on the cape and tried to get on the Whidia crew when Barry first started here. But years later I found out that their was a marker at the Whidia site. It was their b-4 the Whidia was even discovered. Said Whidia sunk here 1717?? And it did. That struck me funny in a lot of ways. I'm not saying anything against anybody. But here is a pirate ship that sunk that has it's own marker at the site. We better stop over looking the small stuff on these wrecks. Ha Ha

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
frankie: I believe you can read about that in Walk the Plank. I am not Mr. Clifford's biggest fan. However, it's difficult to get around the recovery of the Whydah's bell. A remarkable find! No real treasure - other than that bell.

The general location of a great many wrecks is known. As Frank Lloyd Wright is supposed to have said, the devil is in the details. I had someone object on Wikipedia when I said there are at least 150 shipwrecks in Lake Michigan's Manitou Passage, around North and South Manitou and along the shore across from them. An Internet mental giant asked how I could know there were that many if they haven't yet been found. I didn't bother to argue with that genius. Knowing they were lost is one thing. Finding, as Ben Gunn pointed out, can be another thing altogether.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What moron would try to pass off a lead ingot as a silver bar? Didn't Clifford think they would test it?

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
"Months later, something else struck Clifford. This time, it was a shoe dropped by UNESCO".

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/07/16/unesco-buried-explorer-barry-cliffords-captain-kidd-discovery-and-he-is-freaking-out/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread