Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am with you MS beep,, For the most part. But greed is a funny concept,and it isn't usually used in the right context, How many instances can you name that don't involve greed in some form or fashion. I myself experience many types of greed every day!

I am greedy,, I actually don't want people using My property without my knowledge, I like to make money when I can, I help the poorest among us when I can because I want my soul to have the best in the forever,, or maybe I just want to feel good about myself. I think my wife should play a huge part in my life and me in hers, she feels the same way because we found we covet each others company. We are greedy for the time we spend together, and we jealously protect our family.

I don't mean to pick on you, but greed has driven this country for the good as well as the bad,, and the good side has been winning in America historically.

So the biggest thing is that people don't understand greed. What we should be talking about is morality, that is the true north. Because greed exists independently of money.

Sorry,, cold here too. and I can't sleep lol. I am not a philosopher of any kind, just my 2 cents.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me ask ya a simple question. How did those wind generators get built ? How much energy was used in the manufacture of all the components that go into building one ? Oh.. nobody thought about that ? They want us to believe those giant windmills just appeared out of thin air ? Do you have any idea how much energy and natural resources the "cash for clunkers" program saved ? I can tell you. NONE, due to the resources used to build all the new cars that replaced the old ones. It also took food out of the mouths of American auto mechanics who would have made a living maintaining those older cars. All that program did was to help grow the economy of Japan since the vast majority of new cars sold were imports. Without getting political, pretty much any time the government sticks their nose in something it costs US money.
The other thing cash for clunkers did was cause a shortage of used cars and a spike in used car prices. The shortage was especially bad on the cars that were most affordable to lower income families.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right, greed may have not been the best word to use, there comes a tipping point when it does more harm than good, guess that's where the moral choices come into play, doing the right thing for the right reason, not the "powers that be's " strong point. They should have used the good ideas people came up with for more efficient use of fuels, instead of sweeping them under the rug.

Ok, lack of sleep, no detecting, that ground hog better have the RIGHT answer when he comes out of his hole Sunday or he's gonna feel a little global warming!!! :laughing7:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the part where you say bring greed out of everything. I have a friend that wrote a huge essay on how the world would be if everyone was equal and it showed how we could make our world turn to no currency and everything like that. Well her outlook on it was if everyone was equal we would all work. There was how ever extra perks you could get if you had a job. Such as a car it was a great essay and very well put together.

Sorry for the thread jack frank

I am sure it was a great essay,, and that theory might work for Vulcans, but it does not come close to accounting for human nature. Humans are just not put together that way.

I love the part about if you work you get perks,, where is the equality in that? Doesn't seem fair. As a matter of fact it shows that the author had absolutely no idea what she was talking about.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I would be willing to bet probably all the high income earners in D.C. that make our laws own quite a bit of stock in the big energy racket, so yep the gov is in that too, so I know that's costing US money too.

Mike

Hay, I red an article that said that 90% of the congressmen are millionaires and BO + wife made over a million last year. Frank...
111-1 profilecracked.jpg

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I am with you MS beep,, For the most part. But greed is a funny concept,and it isn't usually used in the right context, How many instances can you name that don't involve greed in some form or fashion. I myself experience many types of greed every day!

I am greedy,, I actually don't want people using My property without my knowledge, I like to make money when I can, I help the poorest among us when I can because I want my soul to have the best in the forever,, or maybe I just want to feel good about myself. I think my wife should play a huge part in my life and me in hers, she feels the same way because we found we covet each others company. We are greedy for the time we spend together, and we jealously protect our family.

I don't mean to pick on you, but greed has driven this country for the good as well as the bad,, and the good side has been winning in America historically.

So the biggest thing is that people don't understand greed. What we should be talking about is morality, that is the true north. Because greed exists independently of money.

Sorry,, cold here too. and I can't sleep lol. I am not a philosopher of any kind, just my 2 cents.

Well I agree with your assumptions, I think what you are talking about is DESIRE and ADVANCEMENT and SATISFACTION. I think greed is an extreme of the the three words, pushed to the limit. Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True Frankn.

Anyone else get a kick out of the greed and equality argument?

How can you be equal if you have a 2 story house, and your neighbor has a 1 story, his neighbor rents, there is a guy in the back yard that lives in a tent, but his brother is homeless? If everyone was equal then everyone is interchangeable.

If you worked and you were able to get a couple of perks like food and a car but the fellow that doesn't work gets bread and water is that fair?

True Equality and no greed is a race to Zero. If you were truly able to achieve this why would you accept anything at all, knowing there are people that do not have anything? Who do you know that works his rear end off and makes a wad of cash, but lives on the street because he gives it all away?

No such thing. Never has been. Never will be. When you get to a country that assumes to make everyone equal they share in ultra misery,, But the rulers are not equal,, they live high on the hog.

I call dibs on being president next week,, if you won't claim the week after that I will claim that week too.. and so on.:laughing7:

In this country equality means that we all have the same opportunity to achieve our greedy goals, not that there will be equal outcomes. ( at least that's the way the country was founded, and then became a super power in less than 150 years.)

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other thing cash for clunkers did was cause a shortage of used cars and a spike in used car prices. The shortage was especially bad on the cars that were most affordable to lower income families.
Cash for clunkers had nothing to do with used car prices going up. They went up because new car sales dropped and people are keeping their cars longer...look it up...and no I didn't support cash for clunkers.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True Frankn.

Anyone else get a kick out of the greed and equality argument?

How can you be equal if you have a 2 story house, and your neighbor has a 1 story, his neighbor rents, there is a guy in the back yard that lives in a tent, but his brother is homeless? If everyone was equal then everyone is interchangeable.

If you worked and you were able to get a couple of perks like food and a car but the fellow that doesn't work gets bread and water is that fair?

True Equality and no greed is a race to Zero. If you were truly able to achieve this why would you accept anything at all, knowing there are people that do not have anything? Who do you know that works his rear end off and makes a wad of cash, but lives on the street because he gives it all away?

No such thing. Never has been. Never will be. When you get to a country that assumes to make everyone equal they share in ultra misery,, But the rulers are not equal,, they live high on the hog.

I call dibs on being president next week,, if you won't claim the week after that I will claim that week too.. and so on.:laughing7:

In this country equality means that we all have the same opportunity to achieve our greedy goals, not that there will be equal outcomes. ( at least that's the way the country was founded, and then became a super power in less than 150 years.)
You get what you put in and people get what they deserve.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I advise insults stop....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh? If you continue to refuse to at least explain what the heck you are trying to get at then I can't continue to have a conversation with you. Perhaps this is what you want. If so, just say so and I can gladly quit because it means nothing to me at all.

Explain why this a false argument because currently, you are the only one saying that it is and you have not provided any logical reason why you think it is false.

First: Denial

Second: Diversion

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hay, I red an article that said that 90% of the congressmen are millionaires and BO + wife made over a million last year. Frank...

A million ain't squat, Frankn.

Some make thousands of times that, and not by selling books either. I know this may come as a shock to some, but they buy congressmen.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cash for clunkers had nothing to do with used car prices going up. They went up because new car sales dropped and people are keeping their cars longer...look it up...and no I didn't support cash for clunkers.
Looked it up. I say that you are wrong.

Yes, people stopped buying new cars when they could not afford them. However, cash for clunkers spurred a LOT of people to buy new cars before they would have AND trade in old cars that were not worth what they were given for them. Add in the fact that every car traded for cash for clunkers had its engine deystroyed and landed in a junk yard and you want to tell me that cash for clunkers had no impact on the ridiculous spike in used car prices?
I guess your research/facts regarding cash for clunkers boils down to which side you choose to believe. I choose to believe what I have read. And there is plenty of research out there that supports my view. since we live in America you are free to believe what you read. That does not make you (or me for that matter) right. The difference is I understand that this is a politically charged issue and there is no true black or white. I doubt you do.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now... Global warming. Yes the planet is warming. The Sun will warm the planet about 1 percent every one hundred million years. Of course this is an average and we will go through heating and cooling phases even as the planet eventually warms inexorably to the point that it can no longer support life.

Thankfully, Al Gore and his energy eating mansion and private jet will be long gone before we actually have to worry about planet wide extinction. However, I do believe we are on the verge of a collapse of civilization. I really do think we are one major disaster away from global collapse.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now... Global warming. Yes the planet is warming. The Sun will warm the planet about 1 percent every one hundred million years. Of course this is an average and we will go through heating and cooling phases even as the planet eventually warms inexorably to the point that it can no longer support life.

Thankfully, Al Gore and his energy eating mansion and private jet will be long gone before we actually have to worry about planet wide extinction. However, I do believe we are on the verge of a collapse of civilization. I really do think we are one major disaster away from global collapse.

Got a source for this?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread