🥇 BANNER NEVER In My Wildest Dreams Would I Have Ever Thought I'd Find A Cache of THESE!!!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
***EDIT*** Gold/Silver totals posted in comments on page 9

I'm still shaking as I'm typing this. My buddy Craig and I had some time to get out for a short hunt today. We went to an old home site we had hunted in the past. There was an 1840s house on that property that was demolished about 5 or 6 years ago. We were hoping to find some old coins or other interesting relics, but all we were really finding was junk. There is a ton of sheet aluminum at that site that always fools us. After searching the area where the front yard once was for about an hour, finding only junk and one wheat, I decided to go into the wooded area towards the back of the lot. I searched there for 20 minutes or so and found a small pocket spill of modern clad ($1.47) and some more junk. We were about ready to leave and go to another site when I got a very strong signal that was bouncing from 80 to 85 on the AT Pro. I dug a plug and rescanned the hole. It was still there. Looking closer, I could see the top of a zipper in the bottom of the hole. I dug around it and pulled out a very thick and heavy wallet! I could see some small round impressions on the side, so I just knew it was full of coins... But I was VERY WRONG!!! I tried to open the zipper, but it was so far corroded, that it wouldn't even budge. I took my knife and cut into the side of the zipper. When I pulled it back, I saw some SILVER AND GOLD RINGS staring back at me!! Craig and I were both at a loss for words. I poured a few of them on to my hand and snapped a pic. I really didn't want to open it out there, so I put the rings back in the wallet and went to show the property owner. He was very excited to see something like that, but had no idea how it would have ended up out there. He asked if he could have one, and I said "Of course!" He took one random ring on top. I didn't fully open the wallet until we got back to Craig's house. There were 104 rings total, including the one that I gave the land owner. Some of them are marked "10K", some are marked "14K", there is one marked "18K", and a bunch that are sterling. There is a really neat sterling buffalo ring in the mix too. I haven't cleaned them off yet, so I'll probably be pretty busy with that for the rest of the night. This is definitely a once in a lifetime find for me. Up until today, I had never even found a piece of gold in 20+ years of metal detecting. I can't even explain how I'm feeling right now. Anyway, that was one hell of a hunt! Thanks for looking and HH!

PF

Attachments

• rings1.jpg
    rings1.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 1,192
  • rings2.jpg
    rings2.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 1,444
  • rings4.jpg
    rings4.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 1,177
  • rings5.jpg
    rings5.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 1,049
  • rings6.jpg
    rings6.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 930
  • rings7.jpg
    rings7.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 970
  • rings8.jpg
    rings8.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 874
  • rings9.jpg
    rings9.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 921
  • rings10.jpg
    rings10.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,040
  • rings11.jpg
    rings11.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 841
  • rings12.jpg
    rings12.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 874
  • rings13.jpg
    rings13.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 894
Last edited:
Upvote 226

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

jimbonito58

May 6, 2016
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/stock coil , 8x5 & nels storm ,garret carrot
Makro racer 2 w/stock coil ,5" round & 9x5.5 Makro PinP
Mindlab CTX 3030 11'coil / 10x5 coiltek, Minelab 17" smart coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yes a most unbelievable find .. true treasure congrats

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
What a mystery you have unearthed. Congratulations on the banner find! It's going to fuel everyone's addiction to treasure hunting!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a very exciting and banner worthy find ! I too would love to see a cleaned up pic of the pile with some close ups too !!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the well deserved Banner. :occasion14: I just wonder how your going to top a find like that one? :dontknow:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the rings are a mix of adult female, male, child, costume, precious metal,...then they came from different original owners. If a crook raided a jewelry box at one home, most likely the rings would all be the same size , female or male. Now, if the crook raided jewelry boxes of several homes, you would have the mix. Could be the person who amassed the group was a flea market picker, garage saler, etc... and just liked rings! Fun to speculate. We all thank you for posting and sharing. Enjoy waiving your BANNER! Sub 8-)

Either that or it's the cache of a not so honest undertaker with his boss or the police close on his heels. That crossed my mind first.... Remarkable find and well worth Banner for sure!

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
CONGRATZ!!! Great find for sure. Now, how did it get there and why?

Well, there isn't much to go on.

First, i'm going to start with the zipper case. That is a typical 1980's design and do to the decomposition of the leather, I would say it was buried in the early 1980's.

Second, most of those rings appear to be 1970'-80's design. There are some earlier like the pot leaf and the buffalo, and of course the ww2 ring. All 40's-60's respectably. The green color could be the copper leeching out of the gold or, the glue melted that is used to keep some stones in place.

Third, the composition of this bag is all rings, which to me, says two things. The person who placed these in the bag was careful not to mix with other items. Also, this was not done in a rush(ie I dont think this was a smash and grab(the bag is too small)).

So what does this mean? To me, it seems most likely that these were stole by the child of the parents that owned the rings. He was a teenage when he did this. He either forgot where he buried it on never had the chance to retrieve them. He did this when his parents were at work(he would need the time to stuff that bag).

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHAT THE? A detectorist's dream come true! such an awesome find...

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on getting the Banner and for getting it so fast! I think I would not waste anytime getting back out there in the woods looking for more Caches of money or other valuables.

Frank

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the Banner Pinfire. It is up already!
Cheers

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C O N G R A T S !!!!!

Bet this got your heart-rate up?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mom said there would be days like that, and that they would come in bunches. I'd be tearing those woods up right now, might be more goodies out there. Congrats on a great find!

Now for the bag of Coins..LOL

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well all I can say is congrats on an once in a lifetime cache of bling. Well done on the recovery and the banner.

Being around that buying and selling world, secondhand/pawn shops I'm going to throw this out on the table so to speak. This looks a lot like what one would see in a pawn shop it's too mixed to be a jewelry store (unless used) On how it got where it did well that could be a story in its self. Could of been the bounty of a heist or a simple drop/loss from the proprietor of a shop taking home the jewelry from the displays. They could of had it sitting on the table, chair, or counter of the home and the dog smelling so many senses decided to go bury it like a bone. Could be the owner as well doing the rainy day fund, or just plain hiding it after claiming an insurance claim at the business for an unfortunate loss.
This what we all dream about one time or other, digging something large.-congrats again.:occasion14:

This also reminds me of 'when Gold went high $' in 2011?
My buddy that owns a pawn Shop had a Similar 'Plastic' Baggie of Scrap Rings that he was gonna have melted.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either that or it's the cache of a not so honest undertaker with his boss or the police close on his heels. That crossed my mind first.... Remarkable find and well worth Banner for sure!

Hmm.
If this 'Good' Theory was true , I would expect to see more Wedding Bands & Rings.

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How long has the landowner had this property? I like the theory of the zipper bag being an 80s vintage bag so maybe this was buried in the 80s. That should not be too hard to trace back.
I would love to see an inventory and more pictures of what you found.
Maybe he or she were going to take them to be melted down?
The total worth would be interesting to know also.
Maybe he was a detectorist and wanted to know what the signal would read for multiple rings, then his battery died on his detector and on his way back to the car he fell in a deep abandoned well and never was found. Are there any wells on the property?:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread