🥇 BANNER NEVER In My Wildest Dreams Would I Have Ever Thought I'd Find A Cache of THESE!!!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
***EDIT*** Gold/Silver totals posted in comments on page 9

I'm still shaking as I'm typing this. My buddy Craig and I had some time to get out for a short hunt today. We went to an old home site we had hunted in the past. There was an 1840s house on that property that was demolished about 5 or 6 years ago. We were hoping to find some old coins or other interesting relics, but all we were really finding was junk. There is a ton of sheet aluminum at that site that always fools us. After searching the area where the front yard once was for about an hour, finding only junk and one wheat, I decided to go into the wooded area towards the back of the lot. I searched there for 20 minutes or so and found a small pocket spill of modern clad ($1.47) and some more junk. We were about ready to leave and go to another site when I got a very strong signal that was bouncing from 80 to 85 on the AT Pro. I dug a plug and rescanned the hole. It was still there. Looking closer, I could see the top of a zipper in the bottom of the hole. I dug around it and pulled out a very thick and heavy wallet! I could see some small round impressions on the side, so I just knew it was full of coins... But I was VERY WRONG!!! I tried to open the zipper, but it was so far corroded, that it wouldn't even budge. I took my knife and cut into the side of the zipper. When I pulled it back, I saw some SILVER AND GOLD RINGS staring back at me!! Craig and I were both at a loss for words. I poured a few of them on to my hand and snapped a pic. I really didn't want to open it out there, so I put the rings back in the wallet and went to show the property owner. He was very excited to see something like that, but had no idea how it would have ended up out there. He asked if he could have one, and I said "Of course!" He took one random ring on top. I didn't fully open the wallet until we got back to Craig's house. There were 104 rings total, including the one that I gave the land owner. Some of them are marked "10K", some are marked "14K", there is one marked "18K", and a bunch that are sterling. There is a really neat sterling buffalo ring in the mix too. I haven't cleaned them off yet, so I'll probably be pretty busy with that for the rest of the night. This is definitely a once in a lifetime find for me. Up until today, I had never even found a piece of gold in 20+ years of metal detecting. I can't even explain how I'm feeling right now. Anyway, that was one hell of a hunt! Thanks for looking and HH!

PF

Attachments

• rings1.jpg
    rings1.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 1,189
  • rings2.jpg
    rings2.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 1,441
  • rings4.jpg
    rings4.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 1,174
  • rings5.jpg
    rings5.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 1,046
  • rings10.jpg
    rings10.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,037
  • rings9.jpg
    rings9.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 918
  • rings8.jpg
    rings8.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 870
  • rings7.jpg
    rings7.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 967
  • rings6.jpg
    rings6.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 927
  • rings11.jpg
    rings11.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 839
  • rings12.jpg
    rings12.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 872
  • rings13.jpg
    rings13.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 890
Last edited:
Upvote 226

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like the treasure I am always hoping will be there when I flip the plug on a smashed beer can... I guess you proved there is hope. Congrats!!!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read all the reply's.

First Congratz to 'Pinfire' on an awesome find/recovery.
&
For Helping the landowner , getting that 'legality' out of the way.

As you can tell from watching to many 'Scoby-Doo' episodes when a child / early teen.
How they came to be there has got my mind spinning.

Only 2-3 Higher than 10 k? ,Silver Mixed in ? , IMO buried in the late 1980's.- 1993.???

Maybe somebody buried their lower 'K' gold & silver along with questionable Higher 'K' pieces.

More likely taken from a Business or Lots of Burglaries & separated by 'Worth' (at the time).
Separated by Who tho.?

The mystery is worth as much as the Rings ...Kinda???

IMO , They are your's to Keep. Via landowner permission.
I'd keep them anyway as long as I was sure I did not know where they came from.

My 2 cents on this.
Again AWESOME! Find.
Davers

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks again everyone for all the comments!! I can't believe it made the banner so quickly! I will certainly post some more pictures when I get them cleaned up. I'm not going to mess with them much more until the ultrasonic cleaner arrives. The toothbrush I was using to clean them really wasn't doing much, lol. So far, I'm seeing a lot that are stamped only with "68" or "89". Maybe a foreign karat marking? I can't find much on it. I'm thinking the "18K" marked ring might have actually been a "10K" marking with some dirt on it. Either that or I have lost it! :BangHead:. So far I have counted and set aside 36 sterling silver rings. We'll be heading back out there maybe next weekend to see if we can find more treasure! There was one ring in particular that I decided to wear myself. I'm really not a ring guy (well, I guess I am now!!:tongue3:), but I really like this one!

Thanks again everyone and HH!!

Attachments

• rings14.jpg
    rings14.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 97
  • rings15.jpg
    rings15.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 110

petroguy3666

Aug 11, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
100% Banner worthy, find of your life, congrats, that is just very cool

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now that the hoopla is winding down, (and by that I by no means mean this thread. It is going to expand for a while i think) May I point out two very cool things that happened here?
Pinfire "I poured a few of them on to my hand and snapped a pic. I really didn't want to open it out there, so I put the rings back in the wallet and went to show the property owner."
Lets be honest with ourselves. How tough would it be for us to find this and immediately without hesitation take it straight to the property owner? Props to Pinfire for this honest move. Good Karma comes your way for that one very soon.

" He was very excited to see something like that, but had no idea how it would have ended up out there. He asked if he could have one, and I said "Of course!" "
Who of us a property owner would not have went all bug eyed by this find? and he only wanted "one" ring! This my friends is the stars aligning before Pinfires very eyes. I am completely flabbergasted that the property owner did not demand them immediately.

His best find in his life and he did not have to share it! Amazing stuff here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
now that the hoopla is winding down, (and by that I by no means mean this thread. It is going to expand for a while i think) May I point out two very cool things that happened here?
Pinfire "I poured a few of them on to my hand and snapped a pic. I really didn't want to open it out there, so I put the rings back in the wallet and went to show the property owner."
Lets be honest with ourselves. How tough would it be for us to find this and immediately without hesitation take it straight to the property owner? Props to Pinfire for this honest move. Good Karma comes your way for that one very soon.

" He was very excited to see something like that, but had no idea how it would have ended up out there. He asked if he could have one, and I said "Of course!" "
Who of us a property owner would not have went all bug eyed by this find? and he only wanted "one" ring! This my friends is the stars aligning before Pinfires very eyes. I am completely flabbergasted that the property owner did not demand them immediately.

His best find in his life and he did not have to share it! Amazing stuff here.

Thank you trdking! The way I look at it is that without his permission, I would not have found them. He was just as entitled to them as I was. I even offered him more, but he just said "You found them, they're yours". It seems like nearly every property owner has been like that to us. Never demanding a thing. People who have hunted with me for an extended period of time know that I almost always present the property owner with a Riker display case full of stuff found on their property. Unfortunately it's getting harder and harder to gain permission because people envision us (detectorists) tearing up their yards and stealing their valuables. My buddy and I primarily hunt wooded sites for that very reason. We rarely find someone who will grant us permission to hunt their yard unless they know us personally.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have little to add to the comments already made...except to say that most of us dream about finding such an amazing cache...thanks for proving that this dream can be turned into a reality. Well done fellow digger...well done!

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow.... that is the most insane cache of rings I've ever seen. Absolutely a once in a lifetime find. Glad you dug it and thanks for sharing.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Holy moly
A big congrats

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinfire, do you have a count of sterling 10k, 14k etc? As far as what trdking said, I always make a deal with every new property owner. If we find a cache of gold, we split it 50/50. And never tell anyone....but, I kind of doubt that will ever happen. Silver doesn't count. Your find is inspiring. Hope your jeweler friend is reasonable. I took my just found broken 14k ring to a pro today to have restored and the cost is a month's payment on a new SUV.

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Absolutely awesome! Congratulations on getting your 20 years of gold rings in one hole. Thanks for sharing!

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
For us that "Plug" along, hole after hole, pulltab after pulltab, thanks for posting this incredible find, and I'm sure that many of us have gotten a new jolt into our hobby. Anything is possible. So Cool!

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Subterranean, I buy and sell gold and silver on the side from yard sales and on line... I have collected a lot of gold and silver rings, that I have bought for almost nothing... Someone, was holding them, waiting for the market to go up... Why they were buried, is the mystery.... Great find... One of those odd targets, that your glad you dug... Congrats, on the Banner , this is Amazing !!!!!!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread