🥇 BANNER NEVER In My Wildest Dreams Would I Have Ever Thought I'd Find A Cache of THESE!!!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
***EDIT*** Gold/Silver totals posted in comments on page 9

I'm still shaking as I'm typing this. My buddy Craig and I had some time to get out for a short hunt today. We went to an old home site we had hunted in the past. There was an 1840s house on that property that was demolished about 5 or 6 years ago. We were hoping to find some old coins or other interesting relics, but all we were really finding was junk. There is a ton of sheet aluminum at that site that always fools us. After searching the area where the front yard once was for about an hour, finding only junk and one wheat, I decided to go into the wooded area towards the back of the lot. I searched there for 20 minutes or so and found a small pocket spill of modern clad ($1.47) and some more junk. We were about ready to leave and go to another site when I got a very strong signal that was bouncing from 80 to 85 on the AT Pro. I dug a plug and rescanned the hole. It was still there. Looking closer, I could see the top of a zipper in the bottom of the hole. I dug around it and pulled out a very thick and heavy wallet! I could see some small round impressions on the side, so I just knew it was full of coins... But I was VERY WRONG!!! I tried to open the zipper, but it was so far corroded, that it wouldn't even budge. I took my knife and cut into the side of the zipper. When I pulled it back, I saw some SILVER AND GOLD RINGS staring back at me!! Craig and I were both at a loss for words. I poured a few of them on to my hand and snapped a pic. I really didn't want to open it out there, so I put the rings back in the wallet and went to show the property owner. He was very excited to see something like that, but had no idea how it would have ended up out there. He asked if he could have one, and I said "Of course!" He took one random ring on top. I didn't fully open the wallet until we got back to Craig's house. There were 104 rings total, including the one that I gave the land owner. Some of them are marked "10K", some are marked "14K", there is one marked "18K", and a bunch that are sterling. There is a really neat sterling buffalo ring in the mix too. I haven't cleaned them off yet, so I'll probably be pretty busy with that for the rest of the night. This is definitely a once in a lifetime find for me. Up until today, I had never even found a piece of gold in 20+ years of metal detecting. I can't even explain how I'm feeling right now. Anyway, that was one hell of a hunt! Thanks for looking and HH!

PF

Attachments

• rings1.jpg
    rings1.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 1,189
  • rings2.jpg
    rings2.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 1,441
  • rings4.jpg
    rings4.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 1,174
  • rings5.jpg
    rings5.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 1,046
  • rings10.jpg
    rings10.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,037
  • rings9.jpg
    rings9.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 918
  • rings8.jpg
    rings8.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 870
  • rings7.jpg
    rings7.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 967
  • rings6.jpg
    rings6.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 927
  • rings11.jpg
    rings11.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 839
  • rings12.jpg
    rings12.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 872
  • rings13.jpg
    rings13.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 890
Last edited:
Upvote 226

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have little to add to the comments already made...except to say that most of us dream about finding such an amazing cache...thanks for proving that this dream can be turned into a reality. Well done fellow digger...well done!
Silvermonkey stated my very thoughts, it simply was your day PinFire, pure & simple. We all know that you could have taken just one step to the left, or one step to the right, and missed it completely, how does a fella top that. I'm really pleased you hit it, and was able to show us. Again, Silvermonkey summed it up.

JimJ

Mar 24, 2016
Metz, WV
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, At Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a great find and on the banner!!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silvermonkey stated my very thoughts, it simply was your day PinFire, pure & simple. We all know that you could have taken just one step to the left, or one step to the right, and missed it completely, how does a fella top that. I'm really pleased you hit it, and was able to show us. Again, Silvermonkey summed it up.

The mason jar full of double eagles was 2 steps to the left.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speechless. I would vote banner also, but I see they already gave it to you.

Louisiana Ken

Sep 17, 2012
Lacombe, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excallibur II
Minelab E-Trac
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's awesome!!!!!!! Wow!!!!!!!

Shane508

Sep 19, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's amazing. I'm so curious to know the history of why they were all there. Robber maybe hiding his stash?

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've finally had a chance to go through the rings. They aren't clean yet, but I've removed enough dirt and grime from them to see the markings. I was a little disappointed that most of them appear to be plated, but I still ended up with at least 10 10K rings, 1 14K ring, 1 fake 14K marked ring, and 38 sterling silver rings. The rest of them are either plated, marked 68 or 89, or completely unmarked. I'm going to test the unmarked ones to see if they are gold. I don't have a gold testing kit yet, so it might be a while before I am able to get to it. Still, I'm looking at probably over $1000 worth of rings. I guess I can't be too disappointed with that!! I was hoping that they were all going to be gold, but I'll take what I can get! :laughing7:

Attachments

• rings16.jpg
    rings16.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 429

Shane508

Sep 19, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are any of the rocks worth anything? In your original post, I saw one that could be a diamond.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You better look around a little more. I bet that’s not the only thing they buried.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don’t know how i missed this but thats one crazy find. Congrats big time! 🤑

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Jesus! That's just amazing!

Where there is one cache on a property--there could well be more! The instinct to bury valuables is seldom confined to one cache.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Congrats on your amazing find! One banner find keeps you plugging away at this hobby for a lifetime! Enjoy the limelight!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Jesus! That's just amazing!

Where there is one cache on a property--there could well be more! The instinct to bury valuables is seldom confined to one cache.

Took the words right out of my mouth BuckleBoy !!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Agent Green

Jul 19, 2013