🥇 BANNER NEVER In My Wildest Dreams Would I Have Ever Thought I'd Find A Cache of THESE!!!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
***EDIT*** Gold/Silver totals posted in comments on page 9

I'm still shaking as I'm typing this. My buddy Craig and I had some time to get out for a short hunt today. We went to an old home site we had hunted in the past. There was an 1840s house on that property that was demolished about 5 or 6 years ago. We were hoping to find some old coins or other interesting relics, but all we were really finding was junk. There is a ton of sheet aluminum at that site that always fools us. After searching the area where the front yard once was for about an hour, finding only junk and one wheat, I decided to go into the wooded area towards the back of the lot. I searched there for 20 minutes or so and found a small pocket spill of modern clad ($1.47) and some more junk. We were about ready to leave and go to another site when I got a very strong signal that was bouncing from 80 to 85 on the AT Pro. I dug a plug and rescanned the hole. It was still there. Looking closer, I could see the top of a zipper in the bottom of the hole. I dug around it and pulled out a very thick and heavy wallet! I could see some small round impressions on the side, so I just knew it was full of coins... But I was VERY WRONG!!! I tried to open the zipper, but it was so far corroded, that it wouldn't even budge. I took my knife and cut into the side of the zipper. When I pulled it back, I saw some SILVER AND GOLD RINGS staring back at me!! Craig and I were both at a loss for words. I poured a few of them on to my hand and snapped a pic. I really didn't want to open it out there, so I put the rings back in the wallet and went to show the property owner. He was very excited to see something like that, but had no idea how it would have ended up out there. He asked if he could have one, and I said "Of course!" He took one random ring on top. I didn't fully open the wallet until we got back to Craig's house. There were 104 rings total, including the one that I gave the land owner. Some of them are marked "10K", some are marked "14K", there is one marked "18K", and a bunch that are sterling. There is a really neat sterling buffalo ring in the mix too. I haven't cleaned them off yet, so I'll probably be pretty busy with that for the rest of the night. This is definitely a once in a lifetime find for me. Up until today, I had never even found a piece of gold in 20+ years of metal detecting. I can't even explain how I'm feeling right now. Anyway, that was one hell of a hunt! Thanks for looking and HH!

PF

Attachments

• rings1.jpg
    rings1.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 1,188
  • rings2.jpg
    rings2.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 1,441
  • rings4.jpg
    rings4.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 1,174
  • rings5.jpg
    rings5.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 1,046
  • rings10.jpg
    rings10.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,036
  • rings9.jpg
    rings9.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 917
  • rings8.jpg
    rings8.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 869
  • rings7.jpg
    rings7.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 967
  • rings6.jpg
    rings6.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 927
  • rings11.jpg
    rings11.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 839
  • rings12.jpg
    rings12.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 872
  • rings13.jpg
    rings13.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 890
Last edited:
Upvote 226

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the awesome cache. The rings appeared to be of varied sizes. Leads me to speculate that they were at one time misappropriated. Without inscriptions there is no way to trace. Great find!

I'm afraid I have to agree. Hidden Loot that someone still hasn't had time( or able to ) to recover. Anyway ; It's a great save and congrats

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
A most excellent find!

20yrs detecting w/no gold?
Man, you made up for that!

And

Proves one universal rule...
IT AIN'T OVER TIL IT'S OVER!

Love it!

Big congratulations, Sir!

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'll be damned. That's something you don't find everyday.

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Again, I must say a HUGE Thank You for all the awesome comments! The general consensus is that it was probably a robber's hidden stash. I talked to a cop buddy of mine and he said that place was a well known hangout for, shall we say, people of ill repute :tongue3:. Apparently that was one reason it was torn down. Hopefully we'll be going back there sometime this week, but it depends on how Craig feels. His leg was bothering him over the weekend, but he said it's feeling better than it was. I'll update you guys with what we find if we go!

HH!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck !!

Digg Mo

Oct 18, 2006
Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro,Tesoro Sidewinder,Tesoro Conquistador, Tesoro Tigershark, Troy Shadow X2, Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s awesome. There’s a lot of TH’ers that dream of finding a cache with gold and silver coins but to find gold and silver rings would be just as an awesome find.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Jesus! That's just amazing!

Where there is one cache on a property--there could well be more! The instinct to bury valuables is seldom confined to one cache.

yep, time to put the detector in all metal mode and start digging everything!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, not sure how I missed this one, but Congrats on the cache of rings and the Banner! :notworthy: Awesome and you hit the find on a property of someone who did not want to take everything you found. Banner cache, great prop owner, great day. Wonder if there's a bag of coins to match that one up there somewhere??? Good Luck and if you retire and just come back and say good bye, we'll know you found it too!

Wrecka

Jun 22, 2017
Gold Coast Queensland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering if you have been given any sort of estimate of average age of the rings , be great to know how long they were in the dirt for ?

hbru123

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2016
San Diego California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's crazy!! I have heard of people finding caches of coins but never a cache of rings!! Congrats!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just looked at the photo of the total. I hope some of the unmarked rings are gold. I would probably have a custom made ring made from some of those rings and jewels.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply incredible!! Man I’d like to know the story behind that casche , Well done, congrats and HH

Ken C

Nov 18, 2017
Mt. Wolf, PA
Detector(s) used
Deus II / Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Other
That is awesome! I also hope for something like this with old colonial coins lol. Congrats!! :occasion14:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Absolutely a killer jewelry cache find, congratulations! :notworthy:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats one GREAT find in the OP....Second row of pix .........I have the same black onyx ring :) 002.JPG

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fan-freakin'-tastic find!!

Once-in-a-lifetime score!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread