Never kill a black snake! (Graphic)

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My buddy who lives here in Swannanoa just emailed me these photos of why you don't kill black snakes. I have always been told that they will kill and eat venomous snakes. I just have always thought this to be myth!

Now we know.

This is also why we don't venture in these woods, metal detecting this time of year. This occurred less than 1 mile from where I sit typing.

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 16,094
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 4,243
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 5,553
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 3,802
  • image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 4,896

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one HUGE black snake.. holey moley

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
They eat copper heads right over the line from me in PA. I have seen 6' long ones on my property. Guess they ate all the poison ones on the Md. side of the line. I have never seen a poison snake on my property. They also eat rats and mice.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pics. Nice rattler too, and notice the black & white banding near the rattles. That's what I stay alert for cause I can spot that easier in the woods or the prairie. A black and white combination in nature is a danger indicator, and even the color blind can spot it. Rattlesnake tails, skunks, Oklahoma Highway Patrol cars, all black and white and good to stay away from. I thought maybe the black snake was going to start on that garden hose for dessert.

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
That would be a king snake eating the rattlesnake. The common black rat snake and black racer snake that we have in Penna are not known to eat venomous snakes. My daughter said what a pretty snake. I taught my kids to not be afraid of snakes.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and that is why they're called 'King' snakes, lumbercamp. Good info.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting Mike!!! It amazes me how quick black snakes are. They can cover ground very quickly. I'm sure that many relic hunters get bitten by poisonous snakes each year. Be careful out there, Quindy.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Awesome pics ! I was taught from toddler stage that there is no wrong way to kill a rattler or a copperhead . Others were to be allowed to go about their business unmolested .

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those black King snakes are our friends, but they also look a lot like a cottonmouth moccasin. You have to look at the shape of the head; looking for the viper shape. Cottonmouths are not afraid of man and will actually come after you if they haven't eaten in a while because when they're on the hunt, they do not back down from anything. They are BORN with a very BAD attitude.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
Cottonmouths are not afraid of man and will actually come after you if they haven't eaten in a while because when they're on the hunt, they do not back down from anything. They are BORN with a very BAD attitude.

That's the truth!!! I DO NOT want to get chased by a cottonmouth never, ever again.

I watched a moccasin eat a fish like this. I don't think I could stomach watching the snake eating another snake. Ugh! I'll probably have nightmares tonight.

:wink: RR

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
River Rat said:
Shortstack said:
Cottonmouths are not afraid of man and will actually come after you if they haven't eaten in a while because when they're on the hunt, they do not back down from anything. They are BORN with a very BAD attitude.

That's the truth!!! I DO NOT want to get chased by a cottonmouth never, ever again.

I watched a moccasin eat a fish like this. I don't think I could stomach watching the snake eating another snake. Ugh! I'll probably have nightmares tonight.

:wink: RR

LOL. My cousin and I would often shoot cottonmouths with a .22 rifle. We'd sneak up to the edge of a slough pond, then stomp the ground a bit. The vibrations would make the snakes come to the surface to investigate, then they'd start swimming towards us. We'd shoot some with head shots, then run off to another pond and do the same thing. We'd NEVER wait for them to get to the bank of the ponds, because they're a hell of a lot faster on land than in the water.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Only ever got one cotton mouth to go away without having to kill it. It was not full grown but it kept striking at me and wouldn't leave the area i was working so I waited for it's mouth to open for a strike then flicked in a lit cigarette butt. He left. siegfried schlagrule

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see that, shortstack, they do resemble a cottonmouth. All water snakes are territorial. Cottonmouths and regular non-venomous water snakes, too. They're very curious and check out everything that pops up in their territory. Cottonmouths are closely related to copperheads, so if you have the water moccasins you might also have the copperheads, but farther back from the water. Water snakes have teeth that are curved backward, and they love to bite, not strike. In other words, they will clamp down, and hang on. If they're really po'd, they'll start trying to rake backwards which slashes the flesh. I've been bitten by a diamond back water snake before, and it was like having a bulldog latch on to my hand. I don't have a lot of experience with cottonmouths, but I would imagine they would be more the type to just strike and go.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Your right Mike :icon_thumleft: never kill a black snake, instead take 2 with you next time you go detecting in the woods :) then you are sure to be safe from the rattlers :icon_thumleft:

SS

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man 'o Man. No wonder there's so many tot lot bandits this time of year. We see a lot of black snakes here where I live, but never anything poisonous. (Yet) Those images sure make my recliner look a whole lot more comfortable!!!

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A big advantage the King snake has over the vipers is that the vipers' venom has no effect on them. If you look at those pictures again, you can see the King's technique. They'll grab the viper behind it's head and break it's neck, then starts swallowing it head first......never tail first. The King is a constrictor similar to boas .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread