What's new

"Quill polisher/flattner" ? ...maybe these pics will help in the ID..?

curious kat

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2013
Messages
2,302
Reaction score
2,824
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Quill polisher/flattner" ? ...maybe these pic's will help in the ID..?

...I took it out of the case & took these new pic's. It feels like "rock" not light like bone, but looks like bone, odd? That other "sharp" thing seems like bone. So, is it a "flattner"? And the other is a ? Thanks guys :) RSCN3855.webpRSCN3857.webpRSCN3834.webpRSCN3833.webpRSCN3850.webp
 
Upvote 0
reminds me of a quill processor in a way.....also of a pressure flaking tool or pottery tool
what puzzles me is the other end where the two notches are............
....the 4th image shows a use fracture from something that had upward pressure from the notch has chipped it

maybe the friendly monsterrack can shed some light on this if it is something to do with pressure flaking......
........but once again i might be way off in my thinking
 
a saptula....i dont know you find some neat things kat
 
The item on the left looks like a pendent, looks like they started to drill it but put notches in it to tie a cord on it JMO, the item on the right is anybody's guess.
 
The third picture, does that area near the top up the piece appear to worn on the side showing?
 
no idea but thanks for giving us a better view of it.
 
...so maybe it was a pendent with a purpose...I like that! You know, that other thing, I kind of feel it was used for poking holes in things maybe? Thanks again everyone for all the help...and have a Great New Year! :hello:
 
i hope you have a year full of good finds kat.....so i can see them.thanks for sharing your finds,i look forward too seeing them always.
 
simulated tooth pendants, beauties, the ones I get are made from white jade here in BC, have seen most made from bone
 
simulated tooth pendants, beauties, the ones I get are made from white jade here in BC, have seen most made from bone

Interesting. I have no idea myself, but is this something commonly found where you are?
 
Hi Chris...."simulated", meaning they couldn't get a "real" tooth? Are you talking about modern or old? And tooth of what? Maybe I'm missing something? lol
 
A quick google search will bring up a ton of photos and info on Indian tooth decoration, A Young Shoshone Woman Wearing Dress Decorated with Elks Teeth
I have one site I dig a bit that gives up one or 2 a year with similar notches at the top as the one in your picture shows. I would speculate that with so many teeth needed to complete a dress, and competition to out class the neighbors, hand carved look-a-like teeth became fashionable at some point.
 
Last edited:
a few examples I pulled real quickly, some drilled, some decorated, some just broken and abandoned.
 
That's interesting but I can't seem to make the connection with that piece and anything to do with a tooth.
I'm pretty sure I see usage wear polish. I will crop the photo into the section I'm referring to
 
IMG_20140102_213343.webp

Here is a quill processing tool

ForumRunner_20140102_213823.webp
 
Chris, Gator is on the right track, Kats' item looks very much like a quill flatener. Here are a few that I found when I visited the field there in North Dakota.


Folder #1 485.webp Folder #1 486.webp


Folder #1 487.webp Here is a bone awl, much more pointed.
 
How do you know??? Just curious I mean that is a tool that Steve gave you right? I just want to know how you know what it is? Did Steve tel you what it is. I was under the impression that was a Awl.

To answer your question I know by holding the artifact in my hand after doing a lot of research on the Mandan culture in North Dakota and the artifacts associated with them.
That's how... Geeesh.. ???...???
I've found a lot of bone artifacts down here I'm pretty used to viewing use wear on bone and making determinations based on it.
Just trying to lend a hand
 
Last edited:
To answer your question I know by holding the artifact in my hand after doing a lot of research on the Mandan culture in North Dakota and the artifacts associated with them.
That's how... Geeesh.. ???...???
I've found a lot of bone artifacts down here I'm pretty used to viewing use wear on bone and making determinations based on it.
Just trying to lend a hand

Please save your hand for someone else. I just wanted to hear what Gators explanation of it was. You are quite a fast learner........As far as uses go and I believe Steve can verify this, this form is also used as a flaking tool as well. I believe the hafted area is the key to this artifact....So to think it is one thing when there are multiple uses is a stretch to say the least.
 
There's no use wear from flaking stone aparent on the piece.
A minute ago you thought it was an awl.
Why do you seem so defensive?
Just trying to lend a hand I'm not stealing candy from anyone.." save my hand for someone else"???
I was responding to cat you're free to have a difference of opinion... No need to be rude to me
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom