Superstition People, Places, & Things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So does Peraltar.
Kinds makes you wonder.....eh ?

Peralta being one of the conjugations of the present tense of the verb translating "to bank".
And if you find that mine that's what you'll be doing alright.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, before this thread inevitably moves on in new directions, I would like to thank each of you who participated in the endeavor. For although some may think, and have stated, that this has all been a total waste of time, I will have to disagree. I leave this thread with much more knowledge than when I entered.

Due to associated online research, I've picked up a myriad of information on crucifixes, and metals, and casting, and railroad history, and 'third-eye' history from pre-Egyptian to modern Masonic. From others I've learned about casting boxes, pouring gates, and venting spurs, French words for sand casting, railroad spike design, even about thousands of years old lizard footprints painted in caves in the north of Africa. I've also learned some interesting history of Tortilla Flats and stories concerning it. From the founding of the site before and during the dam construction, to the fire which destroyed it, to the different tales of the 'finding' of the artifact. I've even learned about a New Year's Day bike event which occurs there annually. I was led to all that new information directly because of this "worthless" artifact.

Through this thread I've learned that one of our members is an excellent photographer. Whose photographs of the Superstition at the beginning of the thread are outstanding, and I'm sure if enlarged and matted, would "sale like hot-cakes" at any local gallery. I've also learned that although a bit of a perfectionist in gear and thoughts, he's generous with his time, sharing of his 'precise' information, and witty on occasion in his own 'dry' way. A pleasant side that wasn't evidenced before, during my short time on site, and information which has me completely rethinking a hastily formed opinion.

I've learned that one member had previously worked for years on the railroad, and that another apparently had worked in a foundry. Interesting side notes that are far from worthless. I've learned from interactions here the variety of mindsets and attitudes, and hopefully have a better understanding of some unique individuals.

I'm sure there are many other examples of knowledge I've gained here, but my post is already too long so I'll stop.
Once again thanks to all who participated.

Last edited:
EarnieP,

Fascinating, especially if the Peralta family (their ancestors) were Jewish.

Coincidentally, I have been doing some interesting reading recently concerning the crypto Jews, the Spanish Inquisition, and the motivation for some of the Conquistadors explorations into Nuevo Mexico.
So you are right, it is fascinating.

Last edited:
Coincidentally, I have been doing some interesting reading recently concerning the crypto Jews, the Spanish Inquisition, and the motivation for some of the Conquistadors explorations into Nuevo Mexico.

That is a very interesting topic, Earnie. You may find some interesting connections to the San Luis Valley in Colorado too.

I've spent a lot of time researching the crypto Jews and the conversos. Would you be interested in starting a thread about that subject?

Mike,

Some things will never change.

"More pictures of strange phenomenon in the Supers are needed here. Not associated with mining or Jesuits.

I found this the other day."

Realllly!

Nice try,

Joe Ribaudo

Read my previous posts leading up to that one Joe.

Don't you understand Sarcasm?

You guys really need to get a life.

How about the meaning of the Spanish word Peralta being, 'to bank'?

The Word Peralta means high mountain peak as in the town of Peralta or high vantage point.

Which is the proper way to survey land grants in new territory.

Thanks Bill, I like your translation better.
The best I could find was the conjugation of peraltar as peralta meaning 'to bank', as in "raise the edge of".
Which might be related to your version of the word.

I was thinking of 'bank' as in monetary type, but apparently not?
Looks like the monetary type of banking would be 'bancario'.

Last edited:
Bill,

The ONLY reason I caught that is because someone posted an article about it on Facebook a day or two ago, and that pic is the one used to advertise the story. HAHAHA I don't usually reverse locate pictures. I have better things to do with my time.

Mike

Bill,

The ONLY reason I caught that is because someone posted an article about it on Facebook a day or two ago, and that pic is the one used to advertise the story. HAHAHA I don't usually reverse locate pictures. I have better things to do with my time.

Mike

I think it was used before long ago on here and someone looked it up then as not being part of the range. I used it because of this.

Nice reversal.

Last edited:
EarnieP,
theironcross

somehiker,
Have a look at this photograph. The cutting was done by hand as opposed to high speed tool.

Cut lines / scoring nearly straight, but vary in angle, so likely a common hack saw with a fairly coarse tooth blade.
Not sure when the first saws capable of cutting iron appeared, but it may have been prior to the 19th century.
Cast iron is a little softer and easier to cut than forged or wrought iron and steel, but thicker sections still tend to bind the blade during cutting.
Changing the angle while you are cutting helps keep the work from pinching the blade.
There were many variants of metal-cutting saws, both manual and powered by the mid 1800's.
That lower section is definitely a strange piece of work, even if it was originally intended for something else unrelated to the upper part.

Cast Iron doesn't cut it chips. Just like when you drill it. It breaks small pieces off as it's to brittle.

Hal, Tha's how they made a Sun sign up at Tayopa, only tjere they scooped out a ring about 25 ft wide, mayne 100 ft in diameter..

Got a photo of that, Joseph ?
Sounds interesting, but I'd have to see it....
It may not be a sun sign at all, but rather a breccia pipe where someone mined the periphery.

Cast Iron doesn't cut it chips. Just like when you drill it. It breaks small pieces off as it's to brittle.

I've worked with all types of cast iron Bill, and can assure you that even the purest grey cast iron, along with all the alloyed variants can indeed be saw cut,drilled, tapped, milled and machined with only changes in cutter types, feed speeds and coolants. Ever had a cast iron engine block bored and honed for example, or a crank turned and polished ? How about head work, like modded for threaded rocker studs ? I've done all of that as well as building hydraulic presses and heavy equipment from various components cast from several cast iron alloys, including ductile and nodular, so I know something about it.

I've worked with all types of cast iron Bill, and can assure you that even the purest grey cast iron, along with all the alloyed variants can indeed be saw cut,drilled, tapped, milled and machined with only changes in cutter types, feed speeds and coolants. Ever had a cast iron engine block bored and honed for example, or a crank turned and polished ? How about head work, like modded for threaded rocker studs ? I've done all of that as well as building hydraulic presses and heavy equipment from various components cast from several cast iron alloys, including ductile and nodular, so I know something about it.

First off were talking dry drilling, cutting ect. I don't think any lubes were used for Jesuit shrine casts unless it was tallow or animal fat. Second when you dry drill cast iron depending on the amounts of contamination in the iron it will chip easy. In the early years of forklifts we had to convert them for LPG which included drilling the counter weights made from cast iron some of the worst kind.
I was told that using oil (Coolants) only causes the swarf to accumulate, while drilling dry allows the swarf to blow away.
It still drilled but the cuttings were ragged and if you looked at them they were small chips. Same with the taps we used. The threads would be ragged as some of them would just simply chip off. Cast Iron is very, very brittle. We always found it to be a pain drilling those counterweights. Of course we're talking cast iron with a lot of sand and other crap cast in it like the casting would be from the early parts of the 17th century for a Jesus shrine artifact. The sand cast method is what comes to mind.

Oh, one other thing. Modern Cast iron like engine heads and manifolds has nickel and other metals cast in it for different uses making it easier to cut. Ancient metal would have less malleability and ductility in the casting and would not be using any alloys. That along with contaminants from field casting an object would make it even more brittle and subject to chipping during a cut with a saw or stone tool.

Last edited:
First off were talking dry drilling, cutting ect. I don't think any lubes were used for Jesuit shrine casts unless it was tallow or animal fat. Second when you dry drill cast iron depending on the amounts of contamination in the iron it will chip easy. In the early years of forklifts we had to convert them for LPG which included drilling the counter weights made from cast iron some of the worst kind.
I was told that using oil (Coolants) only causes the swarf to accumulate, while drilling dry allows the swarf to blow away.
It still drilled but the cuttings were ragged and if you looked at them they were small chips. Same with the taps we used. The threads would be ragged as some of them would just simply chip off. Cast Iron is very, very brittle. We always found it to be a pain drilling those counterweights. Of course we're talking cast iron with a lot of sand and other crap cast in it like the casting would be from the early parts of the 17th century for a Jesus shrine artifact. The sand cast method is what comes to mind.

I can't believe you guys are still harping over this thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back