THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Morning rook & Bill, seems like all we ever talk about these days is the hot weather.
Four months from now, we'll all be complaining about the early onset of winter. :laughing7:

Over the next few days I have to do a cost analysis to either buy or lease a vehicle for a job I'm interviewing for next week.
I've always worked for large OEM's who've provided a company vehicle to their outside sales staff.

If the companies car allowance is decent I can see it being viable, my only concern is if I were to loose the job due to a COVID induced economic recession in the next year. :icon_scratch:

I'd be interested to hear what you all think. :thumbsup:

ANTI.
I was an industrial sales rep for 40 years and never had a company car. I just deducted miles for tax purposes. We eventually sold to a larger company. That's when the wheels came off. They started getting rid of the older guys that knew more than they did and lowered the pay scale doing away with some higher commissions. That's when it was time for me to go. They put 2 guys in my territory limiting them to only 8 hours a day. I worked twice that some days. I guess I'm a little pissed my company I worked for 38 years sold. Stuff happens.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ANTI.
I was an industrial sales rep for 40 years and never had a company car. I just deducted miles for tax purposes. We eventually sold to a larger company. That's when the wheels came off. They started getting rid of the older guys that knew more than they did and lowered the pay scale doing away with some higher commissions. That's when it was time for me to go. They put 2 guys in my territory limiting them to only 8 hours a day. I worked twice that some days. I guess I'm a little pissed my company I worked for 38 years sold. Stuff happens.

I'm sorry to hear about your work situation Rook, you've just described what has happened to me twice in the past 11 years! :BangHead:

Companies just don't get it that their dealers often only do business with the company because of the working relationship they have with the sales reps.

I was messaged through LinkedIn last week from one of my customers in North Toronto asking me to call him, I've done business with these guys since 1989.
I consider most of my customers as 'friends' and I've always treated them the way that I would want to be treated.

He proceeded to tell me that, "he called my company cell phone number only to find that I had been laid off. He asked my old sales manager for a quote on a $30K piece of equipment." Instead of being looked after right away, as I would've done, he was directed to "call the Customer Service Dept for assistance." He told me, that he was pretty much made to feel that his inquiry wasn't important enough to be personally handled by the manager, so he called the competition for a quote. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woo hoo ! ! ! .. Put on your seat belts !

I have been waiting for this... what an opening.

Gold Ask $1,947.53$38.11
Silver Ask $24.24$1.34
Platinum Ask $947.19$19.08
Palladium Ask $2,380.56$96.28

Well....I better get to the sand bar and get some gold !! I dont think anyone is hunting it. See... the problem is, there are guys who are professional treasure hunters down here. What i mean is there job is metal detecting....they work a permit or lease part of the year with the shipwreck guys then when there not diving for a salvage group...well...then there hunting on there own for that pawn shop gold. They will work the south Florida beaches and sand bars for 8 hours a day. The famous bob Kline used to work the sand bar alot.....hes gone now.....islamoradamark hasn't gone at all this year as he has been obsessing over the spanish treasure like me. There are a couple others that go but not regularly like some did in the past. Looks like there is opportunity at the keys richest spot the islamorada sand bar. I can spend 6-8 hours in the water here no problem. I bought the truck I'm driving with proceeds of gold sales from this spot. Once I found a 72 gram monster 14k chain......about a half hour later I found a 56 gram 14k chain. Most gold weight for me in one day !! Another time a bunch of boats got stuck....in there efforts to get free they blew a 4 foot deep hole in the sand....and just like a treasure boat at the bottom of there hole was a ships keel half exposed. An ancient shipwreck buried under the most popular tourist spot !! It truly is a super special spot to hunt...PARADISE !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So today there will be only 5-6 boats.....its pretty nice during the week to hunt.....but the weekends are crazy....lots of sloppy drunk partiers loosing there jewlrey. You can always tell the locals....they are smart enough not to where there gold in the water.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My girlfriend and I were sitting in a big circle drinking beer in knee deep water. She was casually digging around in the sand and bang....she pulls up the biggest chunk of iced gold I've ever seen !! It was a giant sailfish medallion covered in diamonds !! This chick had the luck....she floated on a capsized boat from palm beach to North Carolina and barley survived....and she survived a direct lightning strike in her boat down here !! She was one tough chic !!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning Rook.

Thanks for the like on the Rum post.

Deleted... Don't want anyone to think I was really drinking last night :P
Mornin' Cap!
Didja delete that before or after the headache started? :tongue3:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Little chance for precip.today and all week here. Bush hogging my peas today. The deer have won.

I've always wondered, if you would spice up your plants with a bit of cayenne....would critters leave them alone?
"That hot! I GAR-OON-TEE!!" :tongue3:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave,

With your buying versus leasing options. I guess it all depends on your terms of employment. Whether you'll be a salaried employee, commissioned salesman or you're set up as a company.

If it's going to be your sole vehicle in that case you have to disallow a certain portion of the costs for personal use. If your wife has a vehicule also you can be put down as a 2nd driver on her car. Then deduct all expenses towards the leased vehicle against your job income. If you have an accountant probably best to check with him/her for the finer points tax wise.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave,

If you don't have a registered company it might be worth looking into. With all the uncertainty going on you can use the registered company to hire yourself out as an independant sales rep to any and all comers.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I was an industrial sales rep for 40 years and never had a company car. I just deducted miles for tax purposes. We eventually sold to a larger company.
That's when the wheels came off. They started getting rid of the older guys that knew more than they did and lowered the pay scale doing away with some higher commissions.
That's when it was time for me to go. They put 2 guys in my territory limiting them to only 8 hours a day. I worked twice that some days. I guess I'm a little pissed my company I worked for 38 years sold. Stuff happens.
I have had the same experience, many times. Business has no heart, only a bottom line.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mornin all!

Yep , yesterdays humidity and heat tracked East, take er away !
Plenty humid still after a couple much needed showers. But about ten degrees (F.) cooler too.

Anti , I don't know how far you can stick your neck out on a ride.
Good to have a mule for all seasons lest you're on your own.

A motorbike for hitting moose in the summer.
A dog team or snowmobile for winter.
(O.K. , not helpful.)

Not sure whats popular around you.
Nissan or Toyota trucks? Or some others.
This is a good time of year to shop for winter vehicles.
A common (parts available , and the service industry familiar with them locally) seems a good bet.

If you are going to be roadrunning , economy will factor more than muleability.
Around me , that might mean a Subaru .
Though I buy domestics.

As always when shopping used , the question of why someone would sell a good horse has to be asked in the buyers mind.
I bought a new Chevy Colorado....Time will tell if it's worth the initial hit of instant depreciation. So far the economy compared to the other truck almost makes me giggle. Almost as it's no industry leader by any means.
A half ton Silverado runs near the same pricepoint , but I'm not interested in one.
Should I replace the 3/4 ton Ford , I'd need a solid frame to plow with.
It will haul passengers ,(a factor in your decision most likely) but is like driving a school bus in parking lots.

Tough , when you need a vehicle to get a job , and a job to get a vehicle.
A patient potential employer might be willing for a lag if you're caught short and they don't provide a vehicle ,or allowance...Or one might not.

A friend has passed now. Made his way selling used industrial equipment. (Molding , die making, ect.)
I never asked for details but he seemed to freelance vs working for a company. Not sure how he networked that... I'll have to ask a mutual friend who bought stuff from him over the years.
(He went to Canada fishing with us one time. Oh boy , stories there..)
He did quite well though.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Morning RC
AT 10:35 CDT the heat index in the south here is 99°

Rookster

Gold Member