THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Morning RC
AT 10:35 CDT the heat index in the south here is 99°

I can almost see the haze there....
Great corn growing weather if you've had enough rain.
Near foggy from humidity...I recall muggy nights on the motorbike riding through low spots where the scent of corn was overwhelming after a hot day .

Fishing in the shade weather! Or better , at night.

I beat the hottest day (yesterdays weather) running one of the tractors prior , and it still felt plenty warm enough. When it sputtered after about three hours hard work it sounded like a low fuel deal.
I raced (about 1.5 m.p.h.) to drop off the harrow and run the tractor towards it's trailer. Trying each second to shorten distance to the truck , should it conk out.
An excuse to quit , and I was ready!
It cleared the sputter about the time the harrow was dropped. Thought it might have been sloshing got fuel to carb but it was probably some water/condensation. I've seen water running down the tank sides before from humidity. It probably does inside too.
Checked fuel at home and there's half a tank. L.o.l..

A river in the shade sure seemed better in my imagination...Still does.

Well we're getting backlogged on cucumber so will whip up this salad for tonight. I'll skip the fish sauce and use whatever vinegar you have.

Well we're getting backlogged on cucumber so will whip up this salad for tonight. I'll skip the fish sauce and use whatever vinegar you have.

Cuke salad? Whahh! Blah...And no, I've not tried it to have a better opinion...

Try a tiny bit of fish oil on a bite.
I'm a fan of using it on far removed from subject ,fried rice. It does not stand out as fishy. Maybe like a bit of anchovy can in a dish..

RC,

lol....You have to be adventurous in life my friend.:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Palate-ability and digestibility must be considered if a fork is part of the adventure.
I do miss vicariously following Anthony though. At his mouth's and stomach's expense.
And I've eaten some different kinds of dishes...

Dave,

With your buying versus leasing options. I guess it all depends on your terms of employment. Whether you'll be a salaried employee, commissioned salesman or you're set up as a company.

If it's going to be your sole vehicle in that case you have to disallow a certain portion of the costs for personal use. If your wife has a vehicule also you can be put down as a 2nd driver on her car. Then deduct all expenses towards the leased vehicle against your job income. If you have an accountant probably best to check with him/her for the finer points tax wise.

Dave,

If you don't have a registered company it might be worth looking into. With all the uncertainty going on you can use the registered company to hire yourself out as an independant sales rep to any and all comers.

Mornin all!

Yep , yesterdays humidity and heat tracked East, take er away !
Plenty humid still after a couple much needed showers. But about ten degrees (F.) cooler too.

Anti , I don't know how far you can stick your neck out on a ride.
Good to have a mule for all seasons lest you're on your own.

A motorbike for hitting moose in the summer.
A dog team or snowmobile for winter.
(O.K. , not helpful.)

Not sure whats popular around you.
Nissan or Toyota trucks? Or some others.
This is a good time of year to shop for winter vehicles.
A common (parts available , and the service industry familiar with them locally) seems a good bet.

If you are going to be roadrunning , economy will factor more than muleability.
Around me , that might mean a Subaru .
Though I buy domestics.

As always when shopping used , the question of why someone would sell a good horse has to be asked in the buyers mind.
I bought a new Chevy Colorado....Time will tell if it's worth the initial hit of instant depreciation. So far the economy compared to the other truck almost makes me giggle. Almost as it's no industry leader by any means.
A half ton Silverado runs near the same pricepoint , but I'm not interested in one.
Should I replace the 3/4 ton Ford , I'd need a solid frame to plow with.
It will haul passengers ,(a factor in your decision most likely) but is like driving a school bus in parking lots.

Tough , when you need a vehicle to get a job , and a job to get a vehicle.
A patient potential employer might be willing for a lag if you're caught short and they don't provide a vehicle ,or allowance...Or one might not.

A friend has passed now. Made his way selling used industrial equipment. (Molding , die making, ect.)
I never asked for details but he seemed to freelance vs working for a company. Not sure how he networked that... I'll have to ask a mutual friend who bought stuff from him over the years.
(He went to Canada fishing with us one time. Oh boy , stories there..)
He did quite well though.

Thank you so much for the help guys. :thumbsup:
I did some online shopping this morning and the Honda & Toyota products look to be the most competitive 'lease wise' when compared to GMC, Chrysler & Ford.

The Honda CRV & the Toyota Corolla Hatchback seem to be in a price range on a 3-year that I can afford, the only concern I have is the allowable mileage.
It looks to be 24,000kms or 15,000miles for the term of the lease. I'm not exactly sure if that's for all three years or per/year.

Anyway, thanks again for your help,
Dave

I probably bought this Japanese mandolin 25 or 30 years ago and never used it.....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: it was stashed away in a cupboard out of sight.

I'll be doing some air fryer potato chips and probably use it for my next batch of sauerkraut.

What a day, hot, dusty, noisy, smelly.
Sat on the tractor for 7 straight hours moving rock, the excavator would 1,2,3,.... to fill the bucket up.
Usually the gear lube is like molasses have a hard time to start off in 5 if there is a grade, well the viscosity of the oil was thinned out I could go in 6 th with a load, shift to 7th and-WOE! Bouncing over bumps-ok settle down slow down.
Dumped 4 dumbstruck loads of small rubble in a failed tile cut on the edge of the field.
Tomorrow he'll spread it in the bottom for drainage then cap it off with blue clay then some top soil.
Then I'll seed it with some organic alpha seed.

8 large loads of rocks moved, got my shop yard is looking like I can actually park in it now-or turn around.
Tomorrow we scrape all the gravel back, dig som of the lower dirt out, get the drainage slopes happing then put it all back.

Got the excavator to put a 12" maple over that was in my way. 60' high.
I texted a guy that lives up the way and he got a 12' saw log and 2x10' logs for firewood.
Over the next day or so I have another few trees to push over, and stump will be attached, and a few other stumps that are in the way.

Progress-I'm feeling good about it getting done.

Well move he blue clay pile on the field edge that was dug from the clay pond 2 yrs ago, now he's got the 20ton machine we'll dig it a little deeper too.
I need a reliable water source and the pond is holding 4 ft, but that's with out watering anything.
Putting in a 200'x200' berry patch in the middle of the field. Haskaps, Blue berries, black/red raspberries, strawberries. I'll be fenced for critters of all sizes, with a electric top an bottom strands. 8ft in total height.

Jim,

I thought you were retired?....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:
I don't know sometimes Bill,.
A few years ago a friend asked how it was going?
I said I was just running around putting out fires.

He said: No I think you are just running around setting them.
Too many projects, not enough time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back