What's new

THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

slaver swivel gun.webp
This beautiful wreck sits still undisturbed since those initial recoveries in the 80s...it was sanded back in and left...but not forgotten !! A plan is coming together !! Its a matter of getting permission to dig !! In the age of race and slavery at the forefront of the daily news...who knows...maybe there will be enough interest to pursue it !! I can only hope !!
 
Check out the 1980s tube socks at the top of the cannon pic !!:laughing7::laughing7: sometimes im aloud to show some of the things we know about but can't dig yet !! I emphasize yet....the digital age is offering new forms documentation and presentation of these wrecks....I also see many of the hardliner Florida archies are aging and fading away.....maybe a new day and age can be more Beneficial for all involved. Many new business ideas are being discussed!!
 
Well you herd it here first....if you didn't already know....my good friend and fellow T-Net member phippsfollymike and team made a great discovery diving on the 1715 fleet.....21 silver coins, silver shoe buckle, and other artifacts. One was a beautiful 1709 lima 8 reale. He has been diving with Bill black or ropefish here on t-net. They were free roaming the bottom not blowing holes !! I told him i think I would put the blowers down on that spot !! So happy for those guys...Mike is one of the best...at least that I've hunted with !!

First I've heard of it thanks for posting :)
 
Check out the 1980s tube socks at the top of the cannon pic !!:laughing7::laughing7: sometimes im aloud to show some of the things we know about but can't dig yet !! I emphasize yet....the digital age is offering new forms documentation and presentation of these wrecks....I also see many of the hardliner Florida archies are aging and fading away.....maybe a new day and age can be more Beneficial for all involved. Many new business ideas are being discussed!!

ROFL! That's what I was going to say! Man those were the days, were they not?!?!?

Well you are right. A new generation of discoveries about to unfold.
 
Bart,

Good luck clearing all the red tape. I remember getting into a heated discussion with someone or other about detectorists versus archies involving finds in the U.K.

My argument was simple the archies don't have the staff, budgets or adequate facilities to document, restore and display the finds the do have let alone any of the better finds that detectorists make.

As it currently stands there's loads of artifacts on both sides of the pond gathering dust in warehouses and cellars of museums that never see the light of day or are properly documented and restored.

End of rant.....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:
 
Well, Jim, you pulltab necklace pic led me to find this little video. First invented in Dayton, Oh by Ermal Fraze in 1959. That explains why we now have the music venue Fraze Pavillon.

 
Mid July, about a week before we went on vacation, is when I took my car in. At that time they said I had 50% pads left on the front tires and 40% left on the rear. I drove it maybe 4 or 5 times, twice to my dads, once to the airport and then back home, the store, and I can not remember driving it again, but I will give the benefit of the doubt. Now, remember, this guy said I could make it til November. Well, someone that knows car stuff explain to me how the heck in that little span of driving, I have 20% left on the front and 0 on the rear? Hubby thinks they flat out didn't check the first time around. Rotors need turned and new brake pads = $600.00 +/- and they are keeping my car to drive and try and find the reason it is slipping at 25-30 mph after the engine gets warmed up. So, I got a loner. Oh yay! :BangHead:
 
Check out the 1980s tube socks at the top of the cannon pic !!:laughing7::laughing7: sometimes im aloud to show some of the things we know about but can't dig yet !! I emphasize yet....the digital age is offering new forms documentation and presentation of these wrecks....I also see many of the hardliner Florida archies are aging and fading away.....maybe a new day and age can be more Beneficial for all involved. Many new business ideas are being discussed!!

Mornin all.

Now Bart:
Don't get upset if I disagree with your aging relics.
I'm subject to error myself...

But those socks are seventies all the way.
Picture being from eighties suggesting socks were a decade old.
But then , you's folks don't hardly wear out socks anyways runnin around barefoot all year do ya? l.o.l..
 
Bart,

Good luck clearing all the red tape. I remember getting into a heated discussion with someone or other about detectorists versus archies involving finds in the U.K.

My argument was simple the archies don't have the staff, budgets or adequate facilities to document, restore and display the finds the do have let alone any of the better finds that detectorists make.

As it currently stands there's loads of artifacts on both sides of the pond gathering dust in warehouses and cellars of museums that never see the light of day or are properly documented and restored.

End of rant.....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Here's some information to stuff in the pipe today.

The Smithsonian Institution—the world's largest museum and research complex—includes 19 museums and galleries and the National Zoological Park. Currently, the total number of artifacts, works of art and natural science specimens in the Smithsonian's collections is approximately 155 million.

Just read the other day that they in fact show 1% of that number to the public eyes.

There you have it-hoarders they are, just down right hoarders.
 
Bart,

Good luck clearing all the red tape. I remember getting into a heated discussion with someone or other about detectorists versus archies involving finds in the U.K.

My argument was simple the archies don't have the staff, budgets or adequate facilities to document, restore and display the finds the do have let alone any of the better finds that detectorists make.

As it currently stands there's loads of artifacts on both sides of the pond gathering dust in warehouses and cellars of museums that never see the light of day or are properly documented and restored.

End of rant.....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Here's some information to stuff in the pipe today.

The Smithsonian Institution?the world's largest museum and research complex?includes 19 museums and galleries and the National Zoological Park. Currently, the total number of artifacts, works of art and natural science specimens in the Smithsonian's collections is approximately 155 million.

Just read the other day that they in fact show 1% of that number to the public eyes.

There you have it-hoarders they are, just down right hoarders.
 
Hey Bart
Thanks for the tips on removing the ID#s.I found that a few seconds of heat & a common plastic 'Bondo' applier worked great w/o scratching the hull :) And this De-solve-it worked great 008.webp006.webp
 
Last edited:
Kind of nice getting back some reasonable level of socializing from the various lockdowns, etc....the missus had lunch with a couple of her friends today.

Tomorrow we'll be heading over to one of my nephews place for a potluck dinner in the back yard...we still take reasonable precautions though.
 
Good morning RCT
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom