The art of palming the spool takes time to master. These nurse sharks are not like most fish....they are more of a thrashing dead weight. They give some brief but strong runs. This one was a five footer, maybe 60 pounds at most. We normally try not to catch them, but always a thrill for the boys.
Art! Ha ha.
If I only had timing to add a little tension to a spool at the right time instead of after , I might apply better at. Like that runaway I had.
I had about fifteen yards to turn it. Failed. And had called it's chosen trees down in water destination prior!
But I didn't want to add any more resistance on my 8 pound test either so only barely rode the edge of the spool.
Friend handed me good braid while planning trip. I'd have been using that for the big one that got away but had had a fish cut it. I suspect trying to steal the lure from a hooked one.
Bump! And cut.
Friends look wasn't priceless but also not overly impressed with my skill and his braid. At least he didn't tell me I'd got my moneys worth out of it.
Had twenty pound mono on the rig I wasn't using.
Used old (near ancient at times) mono rods are cheap around the big lakes. Being thier eyes get cut /ground by braid.
My big reel is an old Heddon. Must be alright as I used to take them apart to clean and inspect and oil.
Grease some but cold weather just oil.
Salmon snagging being illegal now lead to my acquiring a Johnny Walker fiberglass rod.
A stout rod. Not quite a broomstick. It'll lob a heavy lure.
Tossed a Bass a Reno (sp.) and cranked in a couple pound bass like an insult.
Trolled with it for "big" game here and of course intimidated them all into avoiding it.
The biggest fish want ultralight or at least light gear to make it sporting.
Oh I've played that game too.