What's new

THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

I need to figure out what they'll eat in the garden besides seeds, bugs.
Thread 'Clutch of eggs' https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/clutch-of-eggs.711378/

Diet:Omnivores.
Turkeys will eat insects, salamanders, small frogs, and plants. Their diet changes seasonally.

Spring: They’ll eat nearly any available plant, such as grass shoots; sedges; buds, flowers, and leaves of shrubs and trees; the roots, tubers, and bulbs of perennials;dried fruits; and nuts.

Spring and summer: High-protein foods, such as insects, spiders, centipedes, millipedes, snails, and slugs are critical to their poults. Adults eat those foods, as well as grasses, seeds, salamanders and frogs.

Late summer: Grasshoppers, beetles, crickets, and the fruits and seeds of nearly any plant.

Fall: just about any nut or fruit crop, including acorns,beechnuts, hazelnuts, wild cherries, and grapes; waste grain; insects; salamanders, and frogs.

Winter: Nuts and seeds; grains, including corn; insects;and snails. They’ll often feed where deer have pawed through deep snow and in corn fields, especially if manure was spread on the field, and in spring seeps."
 
Gooooooood 37 minutes afternoon floating burglars, random chatters..... ladies and germs... small dogs... of course the best...coon cat owners (they own you)
May you avoid stepping on the stones of adversity. And remember, when you get there... there you are.
 
That's why I carry a Bowie knife! Even though I have never been to Florida :laughing7:
You're going to have to go to Florida.
Gee even this 🌶 has been there many times.
 
Seems I have an uncle out there that can make memes. That might be the most me thing I’ve ever read. 😬
Well if people could learn simple driving skills... I get tailgated at 60 MPH.
 
20250607_171333.webp


Oh boy....here we go !!
 
:coffee2: :sunny: Good morning folks. We're headed to St. Pete Beach this morning for a few days. I live 3 blocks from the beach but we drive across the state, pay for a hotel, and go to a different beach. We like to watch the sunset & my wife collects seashells. The shells are so much nicer on the gulf side.
Screenshot_20250607-131111_Photos.webp
 
Good morning all. Finally a morning that it isn’t raining when we wake up. More rain forecast tonight and later in the week though. The garden is pretty sad — will probably have to start over. Cool and wet has stunted the tomatoes, and something (birds? Rabbits? Squirrels?) has bitten the tops off of the little plants. The cabbages are pretty happy but that’s about it.
 
Well if people could learn simple driving skills... I get tailgated at 60 MPH.
I love shifting to 2nd just about then. I'm looking for a new bumper and box for me Tundra.🤣
 
Good morning all. Finally a morning that it isn’t raining when we wake up. More rain forecast tonight and later in the week though. The garden is pretty sad — will probably have to start over. Cool and wet has stunted the tomatoes, and something (birds? Rabbits? Squirrels?) has bitten the tops off of the little plants. The cabbages are pretty happy but that’s about it.
It's a lot of extra work to replant. I've had it too wet, too hot. It seems like a natural cycle of fighting mother nature every year.
So we eat what grows, do without if it doesn't work.
The new hoop house will control some of the issues.
 
Mornin all.

60 F. when out with the dogs first go around this morning.
Slightest breeze.
Best weather of the year.
The smoke has been staying high here more often than not. (No not that kind of high.)
I'd complain to Canada but Canada has been seeing major burns a long time and deals (or doesn't) with it their way.
My first visit in the mid seventies showed tens of thousands of burnt acres.
Historic references to old burns during hunts suggest it's a rotational forest evolution certain animals adapt to.
Noted far beyond Canada as well.
I've observed deer tracks on a burned site when the ground might still have been warm.
Minerals tied up in trees are released as well post burning. And a flush of growth the following years not uncommon.
For deer elk moose ect. what grows out of reach isn't browse anymore.
depending on species it can be thermal cover.
Yet nature in it's way of rotational burns staggered can leave swaths of older cover here and there.
Being confined to thermal cover alone is a bad thing as browse below is already scarce due to canopy blocking sun during growth seasons. A former burn on the edge (s) of thermal cover that offers browse in winter in comparison...Can help get a limited number of browsers through.

Not that I enjoy breathing smoke.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

  • Back
    Top Bottom