LauraLou56
Hero Member
Good morning everyone! Hope its a great day!
Good morning chigger haters!☕️ No offense CreekSide, but what you wrote is a myth. First, chiggers aren’t like ticks. They move fast and are very fragile. Wiping your hand across your pants with a chigger on them and he’s dead. They find a spot under your clothes and drill a tiny hole in your skin. They then inject a chemical that keeps the hole open and the blood flowing. As soon as they get enough of your blood they drop off of you and are gone. With some of your blood, they can complete their life cycle. You are left with a bite that has a small amount of chemical left behind. This chemical is what causes the itch. Finger nail polish does nothing. If you scratch the spot enough to open it up you can actually extract the tiny lump of chemical. The best thing to stop the itching is Benadryl gel. The best preventative for chiggers and ticks is Sawyer brand permethrin spray. You spray your clothes when you’re not wearing them and let the permethrin dry. You’re protected for 6 weeks. I normally just treat my pants and spray some OFF around my ankles. If you’re in weeds up to your neck you should treat your shirt too. I have 2 acres of restored prairie that is absolutely loaded with ticks and chiggers. I work in the prairie often and I can assure you permethrin works very well.I use a good quality nail polish to put on chigger bites. When it dries it will suffocate the chiggers and make them die. By the time it wears away it doesn’t itch anymore
Good morning everyone. Pretty at the beach this morning.
When a person has a bite that itches there's a ew home remedies.Good morning chigger haters!☕️ No offense CreekSide, but what you wrote is a myth. First, chiggers aren’t like ticks. They move fast and are very fragile. Wiping your hand across your pants with a chigger on them and he’s dead. They find a spot under your clothes and drill a tiny hole in your skin. They then inject a chemical that keeps the hole open and the blood flowing. As soon as they get enough of your blood they drop off of you and are gone. With some of your blood, they can complete their life cycle. You are left with a bite that has a small amount of chemical left behind. This chemical is what causes the itch. Finger nail polish does nothing. If you scratch the spot enough to open it up you can actually extract the tiny lump of chemical. The best thing to stop the itching is Benadryl gel. The best preventative for chiggers and ticks is Sawyer brand permethrin spray. You spray your clothes when you’re not wearing them and let the permethrin dry. You’re protected for 6 weeks. I normally just treat my pants and spray some OFF around my ankles. If you’re in weeds up to your neck you should treat your shirt too. I have 2 acres of restored prairie that is absolutely loaded with ticks and chiggers. I work in the prairie often and I can assure you permethrin works very well.
You are mostly correct...BUT chiggers don't feed on blood, the substance they inject dissolve skin cells and they feed on that.Good morning chigger haters!☕️ No offense CreekSide, but what you wrote is a myth. First, chiggers aren’t like ticks. They move fast and are very fragile. Wiping your hand across your pants with a chigger on them and he’s dead. They find a spot under your clothes and drill a tiny hole in your skin. They then inject a chemical that keeps the hole open and the blood flowing. As soon as they get enough of your blood they drop off of you and are gone. With some of your blood, they can complete their life cycle. You are left with a bite that has a small amount of chemical left behind. This chemical is what causes the itch. Finger nail polish does nothing. If you scratch the spot enough to open it up you can actually extract the tiny lump of chemical. The best thing to stop the itching is Benadryl gel. The best preventative for chiggers and ticks is Sawyer brand permethrin spray. You spray your clothes when you’re not wearing them and let the permethrin dry. You’re protected for 6 weeks. I normally just treat my pants and spray some OFF around my ankles. If you’re in weeds up to your neck you should treat your shirt too. I have 2 acres of restored prairie that is absolutely loaded with ticks and chiggers. I work in the prairie often and I can assure you permethrin works very well.
Good morning chigger haters!☕️ No offense CreekSide, but what you wrote is a myth. First, chiggers aren’t like ticks. They move fast and are very fragile. Wiping your hand across your pants with a chigger on them and he’s dead. They find a spot under your clothes and drill a tiny hole in your skin. They then inject a chemical that keeps the hole open and the blood flowing. As soon as they get enough of your blood they drop off of you and are gone. With some of your blood, they can complete their life cycle. You are left with a bite that has a small amount of chemical left behind. This chemical is what causes the itch. Finger nail polish does nothing. If you scratch the spot enough to open it up you can actually extract the tiny lump of chemical. The best thing to stop the itching is Benadryl gel. The best preventative for chiggers and ticks is Sawyer brand permethrin spray. You spray your clothes when you’re not wearing them and let the permethrin dry. You’re protected for 6 weeks. I normally just treat my pants and spray some OFF around my ankles. If you’re in weeds up to your neck you should treat your shirt too. I have 2 acres of restored prairie that is absolutely loaded with ticks and chiggers. I work in the prairie often and I can assure you permethrin works very well.
Anyone care to discuss what might be good for me to consider, regarding getting a new/deeper/better coil for my Garrett AT MAX?
Probably my last coil I will ever get but considering to see if I can improve before I quit altogether. It's been over half a century of walking. So, it's been a very long run, but, most of the excitement is slipping away.
Anyhoo, open to suggestions. I currently have the standard coil that came with my
AT-MATEY. When I improved my old Groundhog via some hacking and a ten inch coil, (a long time ago). It did improve my finds. Figuring to make this last ditch option to see if I can duplicate the results.
Don't get me wrong, the current coil is really doing a decent job. And....I still have to stop being lazy and do some *actual* research again!A fellow detectorist i encounter during odd 3-4 ish year intervals at a local detecting site has been running a big coil on his AT.
we've hunted together and my less than AT holds it's own ; kind of. He has me on a couple more inches of depth and I.D. maybe.
He is highly experienced for a lot of years. Aren't we all.
If he's running a bigger coil it's likely not for more challenge. (No he's not coin shooting in trash along a metal fence under some metal bleachers under a power line.)
He probably explained his reasoning but the pounded site he might want more depth in. He did say he was tying to get the most out of that model (AT Max) he could.
He still turns up an old coin now and then. He has outpaced me on those . The last one was with the AT Max.
Idk why you say it’s a myth. I like the old rule that says, if it’s not broken why fix it? Nail polish is cheap and works. I’ve always used it since I was a kid. At least 50 yearsGood morning chigger haters!☕️ No offense CreekSide, but what you wrote is a myth. First, chiggers aren’t like ticks. They move fast and are very fragile. Wiping your hand across your pants with a chigger on them and he’s dead. They find a spot under your clothes and drill a tiny hole in your skin. They then inject a chemical that keeps the hole open and the blood flowing. As soon as they get enough of your blood they drop off of you and are gone. With some of your blood, they can complete their life cycle. You are left with a bite that has a small amount of chemical left behind. This chemical is what causes the itch. Finger nail polish does nothing. If you scratch the spot enough to open it up you can actually extract the tiny lump of chemical. The best thing to stop the itching is Benadryl gel. The best preventative for chiggers and ticks is Sawyer brand permethrin spray. You spray your clothes when you’re not wearing them and let the permethrin dry. You’re protected for 6 weeks. I normally just treat my pants and spray some OFF around my ankles. If you’re in weeds up to your neck you should treat your shirt too. I have 2 acres of restored prairie that is absolutely loaded with ticks and chiggers. I work in the prairie often and I can assure you permethrin works very well.
Am an avid fan and user of jewel weed!When a person has a bite that itches there's a ew home remedies.
Simple baking soda made into a paste works well.
If not a crushed aspirin with a few drops of water, made into a paste has worked also.
A Google search stated that "Listerine may control the itch from chiggers surprisingly well."
I use Jewel weed for many different types of insect bites, wasp stings. It's readily available on the property. Just pull a plant, mush it up till the the sap/juice starts flowing. Rub on the bite for a minute, and the itch is gone.
Hope your all cool and doing ok