What's new

THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Turkey drummin? Never heard such.

Oh it's definitely a thing. We have several wild turkeys that come to visit us, and they've done it with us standing there. It's quite strange. Here's a video of it (not my video, but this is what they sound like).




Deer can make a lot of sounds.
Yes indeed. I've heard them thump the ground with their feet, and I've heard them "huff" with their voice, but neither sounded like this. I've not heard one chirp, though.

Then there are these ding a lings.
Hmmm... I guess that's a possibility. We do have plenty of rabbits around. I don't think they growl, but maybe the thump part.

I'll go look around over there later and see if I can see anything out of place (hair, digging, scratches, etc).
 
Oh it's definitely a thing. We have several wild turkeys that come to visit us, and they've done it with us standing there. It's quite strange. Here's a video of it (not my video, but this is what they sound like).





Yes indeed. I've heard them thump the ground with their feet, and I've heard them "huff" with their voice, but neither sounded like this. I've not heard one chirp, though.


Hmmm... I guess that's a possibility. We do have plenty of rabbits around. I don't think they growl, but maybe the thump part.

I'll go look around over there later and see if I can see anything out of place (hair, digging, scratches, etc).

I heard a bear once ripping up a dead tree with its claws just over the bank from the creek I was standing in. Took me all of about 30 seconds to clear out.
 
Took one out of the squash patch. 8.5 pounds
Let it sit for a bit, then cook it up in a few weeks.

20250911_134248.webp
 
Oh it's definitely a thing. We have several wild turkeys that come to visit us, and they've done it with us standing there. It's quite strange. Here's a video of it (not my video, but this is what they sound like).





Yes indeed. I've heard them thump the ground with their feet, and I've heard them "huff" with their voice, but neither sounded like this. I've not heard one chirp, though.


Hmmm... I guess that's a possibility. We do have plenty of rabbits around. I don't think they growl, but maybe the thump part.

I'll go look around over there later and see if I can see anything out of place (hair, digging, scratches, etc).


Ya he's strutting.
Heard one purr.

Let me try to find a partridge drumming.

 
Mate, I was piled on with hate and abuse for this and I am being 100% honest.
Me ..."Im sickened going gold detecting and seeing left open holes from gold chasers. Open holes and raked bare areas without being left like you find it which is a requirement when you purchase a miners right by law. Pay attention guys the forrestry and greens watch this.
I was told "who cares old miners from the 1800s left holes open. Who cares rabbits dig holes and so do echidnas and wombats. Why dont you just f#$k off. You better be careful because you don't know what i can do to you. You better watch out you have no idea who I am. Do you have any idea who you are dealing with." Not one person, those were multiple.
I stepped in a hole at sunset. It was knee deep and nudged my kneecap bone just enough to make it hurt.
 
Speaking of things watching from the trees... I was outside a little while ago and heard something unusual. I've spent many a night in the woods, but I don't recall hearing this before. It was dark, with some moonlight and scattered clouds, about 60 degrees F and no wind. I could hear the usual night noises -- crickets, katydids, and so forth. And then from the trees, maybe forty or fifty yards from me, I heard a thump. I looked in that direction, but saw nothing but darkness. Then I heard it again. Then a few more times. It sounded like a turkey drumming, or maybe someone hammering something with a soft hammer. I listened for a few seconds trying to identify it but could not. Then I heard a kind of low scraping or possibly growling kind of sound. It was pretty spooky actually. I took out my phone and pointed it in the general direction and turned on video record, but naturally, as soon as the phone came out, the sound stopped. Does anyone know what wildlife in the ozarks makes a thumping sound and a growling sound. at night? I doubt it was a turkey drumming, since they'd all still be roosting in the trees. It definitely wasn't footsteps of any kind. But I don't know what else would make that sound. Bear? Sasquatch? Any ideas?
Squatch !!
 
Nah man... that does sound spooky... i know i made light of it... but perhaps some night vision cameras are in order.
A guy I know....know really well ... has night vision scopes for his kel tec combat shot guns.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom